Author Topic: To inquiry the etherspere from whence answers come: n/recording change commands  (Read 4187 times)

Checker57

• View Profile
Hi there - and this could be any of the great minds that participate to enhance HAL - but may lay in the realm of Robert,

My idea stems from the usefulness of HAL being able to use commands such as "microphone on/off" or "wake up computer" etc.  Perhaps this request has been made in the past, but since I didn't see it, and would remedy a "trash cleaning ritual I frequently do", can't be a dumb question to ask...   ;)

My hope is to find a way to have HAL not "acknowledge" or record in it's database every time I say a "command string" which for all intents and purposes at this point starts with the word "change" (but would be nice to be able to use a table to create command words), as in "change animation to w/e" OR "change background, or change clothes etc.  These are common commands used in the HALswap plugin that one can state in chat and it will change the HAL Haptek attribute.  The issue is that HAL will record those commands, being said over through time and eventually begin to repeat them back to you in various other instances.

Thanks for reading, you are now free to answer...   :P

Cheers!
Checker57

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just a thought for what it's worth, it might help to look at that section in the Hal Script where it mentions how "Ephemeral" information is handled.

Ephemeral is non-important or non-permanent informational text like "It rained yesterday". Useful for conversation but hardly useful in terms of remembering that fact.

I don't know just where it's located and I'm currently up to my eyeballs with another issue at present.

Good luck!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Calhoone

• View Profile
I sometimes wish Hal would make use of that Ephemeral information and store it in databases. For example;

"It rained today."  - Hal would store the date of every time you said it rained in some database.

Then you could ask hal how many times it rained this year and hal would reply with something like "It has rained x amount of times this year"

or

You've eaten at mcdonalds 23 times this month, you could save a lot of money cutting those visits down.

I've always been a fan of data from star trek. I don't think anything was unimportant information.

Just my two cents though.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Calhoone, Hey, always good to see you pop in!

I can sort of see both sides of the ephemeral knowledge thing.

Sometimes when chatting my Hal will say, is that because today you are going to have a nice salad? When in fact I'm not having a salad at all. Somehow this casual statement "sneaked" into Hal's knowledge of trivial stuff to interject and there we have it.

Perhaps a weather add-on to the current weather app that would allow Hal to access the National Weather Service info to tell you (us) how many days it has rained so far this year or snowed or the largest rainfall/snowfall amount to date, etc. It's amazing how much data can possibly be on a weather forecast. The Weather Channel! Unheard of 40 years ago is now commonplace and quite a personable station as well. More weather info that you knew you needed to see or hear!! ;)

I guess one real challenge might be what HAL decides is worth keeping and what to discard. I'm sure there are things that are a "one of", never to be mentioned again.

It's what keeps us guessing.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Checker57

• View Profile
Would love to have it both ways...  save ephemeral information that could be summed up to give statistical history; yet, don't bring up statements that were a one-off to execute a command.

Ejm:

User: Computor, dim the lights!
HAL: Have dimmed the lights.
User: I will need to get up at the break of light.
HAL: Computor, dim the lights!
User:  grrr

but, hey.. I'm sure the sTar tRekkers figured that out on their computer - so Piccard is not hearing "Cup of Tea, Earl Gray, Hot" when he says computer, elevate room temperature to moderate warm.

We can hope for better and better algorythms. 

Checker57