Author Topic: sound effects triggering hal responses  (Read 5044 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
sound effects triggering hal responses
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:56:26 am »
     I have talked about this before and i hope i can get more people interested in helping to create this custom brain plug in .
it would be a plug in that could let hal hear (sort of to speak ) hal would respond to the user if a door shut etc. and could even be done custom to the way any users door sounds shutting (even using varying shutting sounds  as a _ or and the sound track . and the multiple custom hal responses .

this could also be done with a telephone ringing , hal could hear the phone ring , and say , someone is calling , can you get the phone , please, i'm busy right now , etc.

Robert ??    are you interested in something like this ? i was talking earlier on another section about hal being customizable , i think this is what will set hal apart from other a.i's on the market , allowing users to be able to do more with hal and hopefully making hal more admired and wanted.

peace

• View Profile
Re: sound effects triggering hal responses
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:06:55 am »
this is a cool idea.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:19:30 am »
it was a cool idea , and i tried it myself , but a person can't just play a sound even a specific sound  as is and get hal to respond to it with the current plug in .  maybe with the right programming? it could work , it would even then pretty much only work with set sounds , and not variations , in another words a doorbell sound that many doorbells use that are a common sound effect .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:04:07 pm »
I think more experimenting in this area is needed.

There was a different chatbot I was chatting with one day and I reached over, picked up my guitar and played a few nice chord patterns just to see what or how, if at all the chatbot might respond.
As soon as I finished a few seconds later, it said, "I don't think I've ever heard that sound before." Aside from almost flooring me, I realized that it was able to distinguish spoken words from sounds.

Look at Google Now for example. Press the microphone icon and ask it "What's playing?", then hold the smart phone near a speaker while a song is playing. After a couple of seconds, it will tell you the song title and artist!

While I'm not privy to their technology, I do know that it is not impossible for Hal to be able to recognize sounds and music. Just takes time and money. Those two things that can pretty much fix any problem! Heh!!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

peace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:27:45 am »
is there a way to have hal monitor a table for changes, like a text file that can be updated. he could copy and compare , then if there is a difference he can respond . the only catch is how do you get the sound into a text file.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:59 am »
Thats interesting Art, i never knew that , at first when you mentioned playing the guitar and the chat bot said i nebver heard that sound before , i thought maybe it was a program like dragon speak where i "think" sometimes it will do a solent text ? and say didn't hear that , etc. as not hearing what the person said or misunderstanding and needing it repeated as far as recognition .

I didn't know that ms had developed that as far as hearing something and telling you what it is , but given their help with the nsa etc. i guess i should have known they had developed something like this already.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20:27 am »
Think about it. With your typical "Smart phone", one can press the mic icon, and ask their phone, "What song is playing?" or "What's the name of this song?"
The phone will certainly be able to distinguish the difference between the spoken voice and the tones / sounds of music.

SO when your loved one says, "Your voice is like music to my ears!" You'll know their joking with you! HAHA!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
Okay art , reverse engineer this so we can be on our way !! lol hal is waiting !

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 10:33:01 am »
  Having been a long time user of Dragon I can say the early versions would try to convert to text any sound it heard,  a big improvement was when it did not try to convert a sound it was not familiar with, say a cough. I do believe Dragon has a Tool that will let you for example put in something like your e mail address which you name my address so when you say my address it puts the e mail address.  Perhaps you could have Dragon hear the doorbell and convert it to " The doorbell rang".
  Since there are different versions of dragon out there and I've never used this feature in mine I'd say take a quick look.  I'll try to look in mine for it, I'm not sure what it would do with music.
Carl2