dupa

Author Topic: space in words (hesitation ) plug in  (Read 2792 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
space in words (hesitation ) plug in
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:29:37 pm »
is their a way someone can make a plug in that would creat a space or hesitation in words at certain places when hal is speaking to give it a more human sound when talking to us . ?? (each period would represent a second to hesitate the conversation )  for instance if i placed .......... for each dot or period hal would hesitate that many seconds before finsishing saying his response ?? example i say " you like flowers ......but don't like the hay fever that you have from them and hal would say " i like flowers (and hesitate for 6 seconds ) but i dont like the hay fever that i get from them . [:D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:57:25 pm »
Something could probably be done but the periods are always stripped out in preprocessing, you would have to use something else.

MSAgent has a verbal pause command of some sort if I recall correctly, but I don't know what Haptek has.

The best way might be to ask Robert for a <PAUSE Nms> type tag we could use in the next version.

I would not be interested in making or using such a plugin. I don't want to hinder my robot just for Esthetics. Just like my hammer is better at hitting nails than I am, my robot is better at delivering information than I am, it doesn't need to hesitate.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 09:31:09 pm »
lightspeed,
  I just came across this at AI Dreams, posted by a person called Doc.
He became an expert on the use of Haptek characters.
"Your character is able to speak any message (q q2 qclear speak) by using an installed text-to-speech engine. When a character opens its mouth for the first time the TTS-engine needs to be loaded into memory and activated. On such moments you will probably notice a short delay in the performance of the player. You can get around this inconvenience by initializing the TTS-engine at the start of the scene (sapittsload settts). Once the TTS-engine is active use \ttspause and \ttsresume to hush the characters temporarily."
  The last sentence seems to be the answer to your question.
Carl2