Author Topic: Programming Upgrades for Hal  (Read 2414 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

Programming Upgrades for Hal
« on: January 01, 2005, 04:12:24 pm »
Hi.
I wanted to start an area that deals with programming issues for Ultra Hal.

Two things to start with.
1.Len(GetResponse) in DebugMode always returns 0 Value.
GetResponse should always return a value so that better response prgramming can be written. If the Script is allowed to collect GetResponses and evaluate them as an array then Len(GetResponse) should contain a value of the length of it's sentence. But for some reason Len(GetResponse) never contains any value, I have been trying to develope a weights value for GetResponse but this Len(GetResponse)
that never has a value is preventing alot of possibilities of advancement.

2.The Halcommands like: HalCommands = "<RESPOND>" & PrevSent & "</RESPOND>" Should be made a Global GetResponse code, This little feature is very helpful to allow Hal to remain on a subject that has no subject in the next User sentence.
For instance if I say:
The Moon is bright tonight.
Hal might say: The Moon is pretty nice when walking on the beach on a starry night.
Then I might say: Yes, It is very nice. <- This sentence that contains no subject can cause Hal to talk about something else because the subject is not mentioned, But with the HalCommand mentioned above I can get Hal to recognize the subject by answering his own last statement and get a very accurate response, "BUT" the HalCommand only works in the main program and not for the AIM bot so If a person is talking to HAL and runs into the same problem with a sentence that contains no Subject it does not see the HalCommand and loses it's focus about the topic. If we could make <RESPOND>X</RESPOND> a global command within Hals engine we could write some better coding to help HAL stay on topic without a subject in the sentence.

Happy New Year.
Jerry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 03:23:50 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »