dupa

Author Topic: Hal 5 Beta has been released!  (Read 9239 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Hal 5 Beta has been released!
« on: September 04, 2003, 09:28:59 am »
A beta version of Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0 is available for download from http://www.zabaware.com/beta/hal5beta.zip  It is a 92 MB download. As this is a beta version, it is untested. Download and install at your own risk.

I reccommend backing up your DefBrain folder if you are currently running version 4.5 and the information you taught Hal is important to you. The installation program will automatically uninstall Hal 4.5 if it is found on your system. It should leave all your data files in tact though. If you wish for Hal 5 to use the info learned by Hal 4.5 either install Hal 5 into the same folder as Hal 4.5 or copy the contents of the DefBrain folder from version 4.5 (after uninstallation of 4.5 when only learned files remain) into the defbrain folder of Hal 5.

The beta version of Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0 does not currently include a Brain Editor utility or an AIM Bot, as these 2 items are still being worked on. The beta version is set to expire and stop functionining in November. A final release of Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0 is expected by the end of this month.

Please keep track of any bugs you come across, any annoyances, anything you would like to be changed and post it to this beta board. If you don't come across any errors, please post your overall impression on this board. Your comments as a beta tester will have a great impact on the final release of Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0. Please be as detailed as possible when reporting errors. Include your system specifications and write step by step what you did so that the problem can be recreated.

Whats New in Hal 5.0

• The Haptek 3D Character Engine has bene incorporated into Hal. This offers a new level of realism for Hal.

• Ultra Hal is compatible with software called People Putty from www.haptek.com allowing anyone to easily create 3D characters for Hal either from scratch or from a photograph of a real person.

• Hal's conversational database is about 75% larger, allowing Hal to converse intelligently about more topics then ever before.

• Hal's AI engine now makes use of the WordNet lexical database to allow Hal to work better with the data that it has available.

• New functions have been added to Hal's brain script that make use of the WordNet lexical database which allow Hal to make responses based on word relationships alone.

• The format of Hal's Q&A databases has been changed to allow for much faster proccessing.

• An option has been added to Hal that will allow Hal to read outloud clipboard contents when it changes. This allows the user to make Windows speak any text aloud simply by copying it into the clipboard.

• An option has been added to Hal that will allow Hal to read outloud standard Windows dialog boxes that pop up.

• Hal is able to check pop3 mail accounts and notify you when new mail arrives and optionally tell you who sent you mail and read the subject.

• A slider option has been added into Hal's Brain Options to allow you to control the emphasis placed on information learned by Hal from you. This will allow you to setup Hal to use responses Hal learned from you even if Hal thinks he can respond on his own more intelligently. Basically, the user will have some control over the threshold value that Hal uses to determine if a learned response is more intelligent then Hal's standard response.

• Bug fix: Hal's run program feature has been updated to avoid running a programs uninstall program or help file.

• Bug fix: Error 1335 no longer occurs on some Windows XP machines during installation

• A bug has been fixed that prevented people with non-English versions of Windows from being able to change Hal's options. (According to beta reports, this is still not fixed)

Under the hood changes:

The QABrain function (responsible for most of Hal's responses) has been changed. It now accepts files of 2 types: a new indexed binary format and the traditional ASCII format. If it detects a binary file like the new Mainbrain.brn it will utilize a fast read algorithm that searches through a sorted binary index. After narrowing down its possible responses to about 100 responses it utilizes an updated AI algorithm that makes use of the WordNet database. When comparing sentences for similarity WordNet is used to identify if a word is a noun, verb, or other. Nouns get the most weight, verbs 2nd, and other types 3rd when determining a relevance score. Sentences are compared in full with this new algorithm. Before only keywords were compared. Because of WordNet and weighting different words, all words can be compared.

If the QABrain is fed an ASCII file it will use the exact same algorithm as Hal 4.5 did, meaning it is slower, it uses an ExtractKeywords function on its comparisons, and it does not use WordNet.

The MainBrain.brn file cannot be edited with a text editor without causing damage to the entire file. A file must be edited when it is still in ASCII text format and then it must be compiled with the new Hal Brain Editor (currently not included in beta version) to convert to the new binary format.

The final release of Hal 5.0 will also include a deductive reasoning function. This was removed from the beta because it was still kind of buggy and I wanted to get the beta version out now. It will work something like this once fixed:

User:  If Molly weighs 400 pounds, then Molly is overweight.
Ultra Hal: I understand the implication.
User:  If Molly is overweight, then Molly's health is in danger.
Ultra Hal:  I see the relationship.
User:  Molly weighs 400 pounds.
Ultra Hal:  Molly's health is in danger.
Robert Medeksza

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 09:34:22 am »
I would like anyone with an international version of Windows to confirm Hal is able to remember the options you set in Hal's general options.

I would also like someone to confirm that an installation of Hal on Windows 98 works.

Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0 includes a new database called WordNet, which is a lexical dictionary from Princeton University. During some alpha tests, sometimes installations didn't install WordNet correctly. Please confirm WordNet works by asking Hal to define a word (eg. "What does AI mean?" or "Please define computer")
Robert Medeksza

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 11:15:34 am »
Hi Robert
i live in Taiwan and have International version of Windows XP
I will test all the stuff you said!

Congratulations on an excellent job!!

regards
Kevin
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

Nathan Brazil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 01:01:10 pm »
Wouhhh

First I didn't get my sleep because I had to look here every 5 minutes to see if the new Beta was arrived.

... Now I wonn't get my sleep because I have to test the new Beta [8)]

But I have a danish version of Windows 2000 and I also have a danish Windows 98 on another partion. I'll test Hal on both partions.

Nice work!

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 01:18:45 pm »
Ok, I installed it... re-booted... clicked on the little icon by the clock... the thing came up... I typed 'hi' - then I got
'Ultra Hal Assistant Error'
Error 91:
Object variable or With block variable not set
Occurred at line 21
in Ultra Hal Assistant: FrmAss.Command1_Click

Ok... what does all that mean???

lostbowyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 02:22:06 pm »
It means you broke it!! BAD! BAD USER!! [^]

Seriously, it could just be a bad download or corrupt install, What OS are you using? If at first you don't succeed, try try again [:o)]

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 02:45:57 pm »
Don't know... I completely un-installed it again and re-installed it and now it works... What can I say to all that...????

I have W2000 Server version... dual 500Mhz processors...

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 02:51:57 pm »
I'll look into the error and see what the possible cause could be and I'll get back to you.
Robert Medeksza

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 07:49:26 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Larry

Ok, I installed it... re-booted... clicked on the little icon by the clock... the thing came up... I typed 'hi' - then I got
Error 91:
Occurred at line 21

This could take a little work to figure out. I looked at what line 21 is. This is where the main Hal app calls the script and remains unchanged since Hal 4.5 to the best of my knowledge. Did Hal 4.5 previously run on this computer without any problems? I wish I could recreate this error on my end so that I can pinpoint it with a debugger. If I send you a modified executable of HalAsst with an updated error handler in that area of the program, could you run it for me?
Robert Medeksza

kevinvr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 06:20:09 am »
Ok Robert
I installed it and it is running ok.
Got some errors on config setup though.  I must go work now but I have a detailed step by atep report of everything I did. I will post it and continue tonight after work.
Thanks for the ver 5 beta :)

regards
Kevin

kevinvr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2003, 06:24:38 am »
Sorry i forgot to ask....
can I send anything to you which is above 160kb???
if not no problem, I will  break it up into bite size chunks:)
see ya

Nathan Brazil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2003, 10:00:53 am »
I suggest that this "main-subject" on this forum is kept for "generalities" and common messeges from mr. Medeksza, and you then make a new subject for each kind of problem - it is much more easy to read it this way.

Just a suggestion! [;)]

kevinvr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 10:22:03 am »
he he he!
Good suggestion! Ok:)

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2003, 06:20:43 pm »

CatAtomic reporting in- seamless installation on Windows 98SE. Oh,h

so Precious! And powerful new stuff! -this is truly like Christmas!

I will be running the speech recognition through it's paces

>B)

*-does that name Erica have to be on the startup image?

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2003, 06:39:41 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

quote:
Originally posted by Larry

Error 91:
Occurred at line 21

This could take a little work to figure out. I looked at what line 21 is. This is where the main Hal app calls the script and remains unchanged since Hal 4.5 to the best of my knowledge. Did Hal 4.5 previously run on this computer without any problems? I wish I could recreate this error on my end so that I can pinpoint it with a debugger. If I send you a modified executable of HalAsst with an updated error handler in that area of the program, could you run it for me?

Crap I didn't want to quote the whole thing... it isn't having any errors now and I did nothing different from the first time to the second time...

And yes, 4.5 worked fine on this machine - except it kept telling me library wasn't found or what ever when ever I tried to use the brain editor... I gave up and used notepad to edit all the files...

I have no problems... but thanks any ways...