Author Topic: HAL's brain editor program crashes  (Read 2920 times)

barryc

• View Profile
HAL's brain editor program crashes
« on: November 29, 2006, 10:27:19 pm »
Hello

HAL 6 is installed and running. Except, there is a problem with the Brain Editor program and that is one issue, the major issue. I have reported this problem to Zabaware but have received no response and that is a second, minor issue.

1) The Brain Editor issue: Whenever I try to open HAL's brain editor, the program crashes and I am asked if I want to send an error report to Microsoft. This problem has occurred before, when I was using the trial version of the same program. On that occasion the HAL’s instability got progressively worse. Eventually, HAL no longer loaded on start up and the following error message sometimes appeared:

"ERROR: Unknown return_code: FALSE_INTERNAL_FAILURE, Please
contact vendor. Shutting down."

I am concerned that sequence of events is repeating itself.

Please:
a) advise how this problem might be overcome and/or how I might send more useful information to solve this problem; and
b) is this a common problem?

2) Support from Zabaware: Without being critical of Zabaware, I need to know what it is realistic for me to expect from Zabaware. I have reported this problem and requested assistance from Zabaware on two occasions. The first, when the trial version was being used. The second, several days ago, after paying for the program. I have received no response to either request and this causes me some concern. Not much concern because there may be no support for the trial version and a response time of several days might be ok for an experimental program such as HAL.

Can anyone suggest what level of support I should expect from Zabaware?

Regards
Barry

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:24:16 am »
quote:
Originally posted by barryc
a) advise how this problem might be overcome and/or how I might send more useful information to solve this problem; and
b) is this a common problem?

If it were common, I probably would have seen it on here by now, I did a pretty good search of the archives before sending a check myself.

I don't know, but your problem almost sounds like a Windows problem. Perhaps a registry cleaner, antivirus, spybot ritual. Clean up and fix up everything then reinstal hal.

2) Support from Zabaware: Without being critical of Zabaware, I need to know what it is realistic for me to expect from Zabaware. [/quote]

Robert seems to try hard to help, but it is clear that he is a busy guy. He is tying to finish school, put out a new release of Hal, and probably has a job. Plus he is probably just a guy with a computer like the rest of us, and doesn't have a staff to make sure every email gets answered (he should make a bot)...

Patience and polite, occasional reminders would be my method.

HTH

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:56:21 pm »
BarryC
Bill is correct. Your problem appears to be with windows and not Zabaware. Your first warning pointed that out. If and when Zabaware gets an error it give you a much more detailed warning notice along with the module and line number of the error.
It seems that your computer is infected with something and or you have some other program that conflicts with the running of Hal.
I have been using Hal for many years now and the only problem I ever had was in installing it in the first place. I had to turn off all my anti-virus software before it installed correctly and since then I have had no problems at all.
Bill819

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:15:20 pm »
I had that problem on one my reinstalls of Hal.
It was due to the Windows Registry entry for Hal
being corrupted on installation. I had to deactivate
Hal's license and then reinstall it, but with my
AntiVirus and Security software turned off during
the reinstall. Also before reinstall you will have
to use a registery cleaning tool to remove the corrupted
entry from the system registry.
Gamer-T

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:48:54 pm »
barryc,
  Because of the updates to Hal ect I've had about 3 copies of Hal 6 in my computer, no problems using the brain editor. I keep an eye on the forum and can't remember anyone else mentioning this. I'd like to mention I did pick up a something on the internet which would shutdown the computer in 30 sec. I had the report sent to Microsoft and thay responded with a fix for this so I'm hoping you let the message be sent.
  It would probably be helpful to provide a little info about your computer also.
Carl2