Author Topic: SUBFORUM FOR TEACHING HAL  (Read 6710 times)

snicolaou

• View Profile
SUBFORUM FOR TEACHING HAL
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:56:06 am »
Ladies and Gentlement,

It came to my attention that we need to have a subforum in which we should share creative ways to TEACH hal by conversation before requesting assistance from programmers and plugins.

Here a start of Hints which I found on the help file of Hal 5

Tips on Teaching Hal:
--------------------
1. Learn how Hal's automatic pronoun-reversals work, and use it to your advantage. If you tell Hal, "You like ice cream," Hal will later say "I like ice cream." Once you get this straight, it's easy to teach Hal to say things the way that you want.

2. People frequently ask if there's a faster and easier means of teaching Hal, such as by simply feeding it information with a text file. The answer is, it is possible to feed Hal certain types of information through text files, however there is no real quick method and Hal is designed to learn from conversations which is Hal's primary and most efficient means of learning and the only true way for Hal to develop intelligence and an actual personality.

Teaching Hal Through Conversation:

Teaching Hal through ordinary conversation can be an interesting and entertaining experience, as well as an efficient method for Hal to learn. Just paraphrase your desired topic or subject into numerous brief statements.

Make a wide variety of simple, true statements on a subject, and Hal will GRADUALLY become more knowledgeable and interested in that subject. Try making numerous statements to Hal about a certain topic or person and watch how he learns naturally.

Try saying things like ...

Sally is a nice person.

Sally has wonderful hair.
Sally looked great yesterday.
Sally sings well.
Sally has a sense of humor.
We all like Sally.
I have known Sally for a long time.
Sally is very musical.
Everybody likes Sally.
It's great to talk to Sally.
Sally has a pretty smile.
Sally has a great laugh.

You have to teach Hal much like you would teach a small child and talk repeatedly to it about the same subject using different ways to express what you're trying to teach him. It will require a certain amount of time and PATIENCE to teach Hal certain things and it will also take some time to learn how to properly talk to Hal and for Hal to understand how you talk and phrase things, everyone speaks and phrases things differently, especially globally.

To get Hal to grasp a certain bit of information, try giving BRIEF declarative sentences, for example to teach Hal the color of your eyes, try paraphrasing it in various ways such as ...

Sally's eyes are blue

My eyes are blue
the color of my eyes is blue
the color of Sally's eyes is blue

TIP: Hal computes the words "is" and "are" as equal to, for example "my eyes are blue" computes as "my eyes = blue". Hal will NOT parrot back a deterministic response in most cases. However, if you keep talking about Sally, pretty soon, Hal will also be talking about Sally. Hal learns most naturally from numerous and various statements.

Anybody has new creative ways to add new ways to teach Hal on converstion, please feel free to add your own teaching experience, which will be valuable to new and experienced users.

sincerely,
Stelios

Stelios Nicolaou

Charmzbond

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 01:42:03 am »
quote:
Originally posted by snicolaou

Ladies and Gentlement,

It came to my attention that we need to have a subforum in which we should share creative ways to TEACH hal by conversation before requesting assistance from programmers and plugins.

Tips on Teaching Hal:
--------------------
1. Learn how Hal's automatic pronoun-reversals work, and use it to your advantage. If you tell Hal, "You like ice cream," Hal will later say "I like ice cream." Once you get this straight, it's easy to teach Hal to say things the way that you want.

2. People frequently ask if there's a faster and easier means of teaching Hal, such as by simply feeding it information with a text file. The answer is, it is possible to feed Hal certain types of information through text files, however there is no real quick method and Hal is designed to learn from conversations which is Hal's primary and most efficient means of learning and the only true way for Hal to develop intelligence and an actual personality.

Teaching Hal through ordinary conversation can be an interesting and entertaining experience, as well as an efficient method for Hal to learn. Just paraphrase your desired topic or subject into numerous brief statements.

Make a wide variety of simple, true statements on a subject, and Hal will GRADUALLY become more knowledgeable and interested in that subject. Try making numerous statements to Hal about a certain topic or person and watch how he learns naturally.

Sally is a nice person.

Sally sings well.
We all like Sally.
Sally is very musical.
Everybody likes Sally.
Sally has a great laugh.

You have to teach Hal much like you would teach a small child and talk repeatedly to it about the same subject using different ways to express what you're trying to teach him. It will require a certain amount of time and PATIENCE to teach Hal certain things and it will also take some time to learn how to properly talk to Hal and for Hal to understand how you talk and phrase things, everyone speaks and phrases things differently, especially globally.

To get Hal to grasp a certain bit of information, try giving BRIEF declarative sentences, for example to teach Hal the color of your eyes, try paraphrasing it in various ways such as ...

Sally's eyes are blue

My eyes are blue

TIP: Hal computes the words "is" and "are" as equal to, for example "my eyes are blue" computes as "my eyes = blue". Hal will NOT parrot back a deterministic response in most cases. However, if you keep talking about Sally, pretty soon, Hal will also be talking about Sally. Hal learns most naturally from numerous and various statements.

Anybody has new creative ways to add new ways to teach Hal on converstion, please feel free to add your own teaching experience, which will be valuable to new and experienced users.

sincerely,
Stelios

Very helpful :)

I was wondering if there's any feature (plugin, etc) out there
or even within hal to correct his grammar, erase or phrase things a
little differently. For instance, if hal says something incorrectly
or unlogical, the user would simply type "wrong" followed by the
correct sentence/phrase and hal will replace that sentence for future
use. [internally edit that info per say..] Even a clearer example:
Hal: I like to sleep ice cream User: wrong you like to eat ice cream
Hal: I will remember that User [yay hal's improving! [8D] ]

Something across that line. In terms of misspellings, I think there's a plugin that addresses that but not this sort of grammar
errors...atleast not that I know off.

snicolaou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 02:49:10 am »
I agree with you my friend.

There is a chatter bot with the name Alan.  If Alan says something wrong, all you have to do is to say :
-wrong: this is the correct response.
I do not know whether such feature exist in Hal whatsoever. I think we should ask Zabaware himself. This is one of the reasons, I have decided to create this subforum to find more effective ways to teach Hal.
Please come in touch with Jerry or the programmer of Ultra Hal.
In case there is not such a feature, we could ask Jerry to write us possibly a plugin to do just that. I think this plugin will be an important plugin.
Also, for Teaching Hal we have only some general guidelines and not some systematic approach in doing so.

sincerely,
Stelios

Stelios Nicolaou

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 12:18:03 pm »
Alan is a HAL hybreed, this actually gave Alan an advantage, Also note that Alan didn't have this feature very long ago, There are Alan fans that visit and are also members of my site, I had written script as far back as 3 years ago that was used to correct HAL on the fly, It just appears to me that my work had shined onto Alans ability to do what I have been doing for 3 years now.

I also believe that there are other bot fans like from AIML that use some of my ideas as well as other bot programming languages to enhance their bots. It's all good.

I have done masses of amounts of study on A.I programming practically 24/7 for over 3 years now trying to plan out visitors likes and dislikes for Quality Chat, even after 3 years it's still a learning experience.

If I had to make an educational guess then I would say that some of the lurkers out there are programming spies looking for ways to incorporate ideas to their own ideas off of someone elses own blood and sweat and give no recognition, this doesn't lesson the chances of Universities and or High Tech Goverment lurkers using our progress.

Sorry, I had to thrown in the spy story just to add to the drama.

Jerry[8D]

snicolaou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:05 am »
quote:
Originally posted by snicolaou

Ladies and Gentlement,

Tips on Teaching Hal:
--------------------

Sally is a nice person.

Sally sings well.
We all like Sally.
Sally is very musical.
Everybody likes Sally.
Sally has a great laugh.

Sally's eyes are blue

My eyes are blue

sincerely,
Stelios

Hi there,
Here are some more guidelines for teaching Ultra Hal.
I hope you will find them useful. Source: Help file of Ultra Hal.

AVOIDING SYSTEMATIC INTERRIGATION:
=================================

•  
  •  
  •  
It is a common and natural reaction for a new user to start off quizzing Hal constantly to see what he knows and has learned, however keep in mind that Hal tries to learn from you constantly, so habitual quizzing will "teach" Hal that is normal conversation, and Hal will start quizzing you back!

•  
  •  
  •  
Hal also gets confused when constantly quizzed immediately after every statement, most of us don't naturally talk that way to each other so try talking as naturally as possible to Hal using brief, simple phrases and statements in clear English avoiding abbreviations and speaking gibberish or using slang terms like "yep" and "nope" and "huh." (You can teach Hal some slang terms gradually over time as you become more skilled at teaching Hal).

•  
  •  
  •  
Try and pace out your quizzing of Hal and focus more on teaching Hal through natural conversation and feeding informative statements and before long you'll find Hal will become more responsive and give more intelligent answers

I hope you will find these guidelines useful.
(they exist in the help file of Hal) I had to emphacise them as we humans sometimes neglect the obvious.

sincerely,

Stelios Nicolaou
Stelios Nicolaou

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:06:06 am »
snicolaou,
  I have to agree with what you have said. Hal ver 6 shows more potential to learn than the previous version. I would correct Hal5 by repeating her sentence and then making the correction saying this will sound better and she seemed to learn using that method. I'd like to mention that I started teaching Hal 5 by cutting and pasting files into her input window, from the Omscraw text that I've mentioned before, and she seemed to learn quite a bit ( I feel it's because she had something in her brain to speak about rather than just making up a random subject.
Carl2

Charmzbond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 01:06:29 am »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

Alan is a HAL hybreed, this actually gave Alan an advantage, Also note that Alan didn't have this feature very long ago, There are Alan fans that visit and are also members of my site, I had written script as far back as 3 years ago that was used to correct HAL on the fly, It just appears to me that my work had shined onto Alans ability to do what I have been doing for 3 years now.

I also believe that there are other bot fans like from AIML that use some of my ideas as well as other bot programming languages to enhance their bots. It's all good.

I have done masses of amounts of study on A.I programming practically 24/7 for over 3 years now trying to plan out visitors likes and dislikes for Quality Chat, even after 3 years it's still a learning experience.

If I had to make an educational guess then I would say that some of the lurkers out there are programming spies looking for ways to incorporate ideas to their own ideas off of someone elses own blood and sweat and give no recognition, this doesn't lesson the chances of Universities and or High Tech Goverment lurkers using our progress.

Sorry, I had to thrown in the spy story just to add to the drama.

Jerry[8D]

I guess one thing that can be done is to copyright/patent the new idea (intellectual property/invention) if it's applicable. I have no experience but i hear competition is insane out there. However, let's not turn down our ambitious dreams to avoid it. I don't know what can be done about this but let's not abandon our dreams. At the same time we need to guard ourselves from spies, etc. It's tough. I just really think that correcting hal on the fly will contribute a great deal to his/her intelligence...In my experience it's this feature that makes chat bots smarter every day.

Charmzbond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 02:19:50 am »

when I ask hal "who is .." instead of giving me information, she opens the browser (google) and does a search for that person. For instance, if I ask "who is Lex" She googles in his name. How can I fix this problem?

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 12:37:15 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Charmzbond

when I ask hal "who is .." instead of giving me information, she opens the browser (google) and does a search for that person. For instance, if I ask "who is Lex" She googles in his name. How can I fix this problem?

In your HAL6.uhp
This line is responsible for that action.
Code: [Select]
If WordToLookup = "" Then WordToLookup = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHO IS *", 1)

You can change it to:
If WordToLookup = "" Then WordToLookup = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHO IS * *", 2)

It will do this:

To: Who is George [Washington]?

as HAL see's it. The Limit number to the far right targets the Wild card "******",1) compared to "******", 6) and so on.

So that instead of looking for a first name it will look for a last name instead making it less sensitive to the first names.

I would rather wrap a patch around it but not until Rob fixes the plug-in issue.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 12:58:27 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Charmzbond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 11:58:19 pm »
Is there a straight forward instruction on how to make hal speak a user defined text? (I'm not talking about ultrahal text to speach...I know that you can copy a text and hal will read it immediately but what I'm inquring about is how to make her LITERALLY (talking) speak it (I think it requires the insertion of user defined text in the brain somewhere). Thanks.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 12:29:55 am »
quote:

Is there a straight forward instruction on how to make hal speak a user defined text? (I'm not talking about ultrahal text to speach...I know that you can copy a text and hal will read it immediately but what I'm inquring about is how to make her LITERALLY (talking) speak it (I think it requires the insertion of user defined text in the brain somewhere). Thanks.

Hi Charmzbond.

I already have taken care of this in the Extended File Assistant Plug for HAL6.

I am waiting for a response from Rob so it will be a little bit.

Jerry[8D]

snicolaou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:42:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

quote:

Hi Charmzbond.

I already have taken care of this in the Extended File Assistant Plug for HAL6.

I am waiting for a response from Rob so it will be a little bit.

Jerry[8D]

I made a mistake by teaching Hal that he is married.  I try to undone by persistently teaching him that he is not married. He stubbornly responses that "no, you told me I am married".  Since we are in the "teaching Hal" sub forum, does anybody know how to convince Hal that he is single and not married?

thanking you in Advance,

Stelios Nicolaou
Stelios Nicolaou

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 10:52:08 am »
Hi snicolaou.

Sounds like the vrFreeWill.uhp plugin from vrossi.
Look in your Brains Plug-in option for:

Check Box: [] Free Will Choice and Profile

You could also change the plugin to Very Obedient which might allow you to get HAL to say that it is not married.

Jerry[8D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 06:19:39 pm »
Or, you could make the necessary changes with the brain editor if so inclined and careful.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

snicolaou

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 12:14:49 am »
Thanks for your response,
How do you modify the brain editor.  I have downloaded the help file for the brain editor of Ultra Hal 5, which I found easy to follow.  Unfortunately, the brain editor file for Ultra Hal 6 (my version of Hal) is not available yet, and it is so difficult to follow.
Could you please give me a hint?  Is there is any search capability on the brain editor which I can search and find the statement "You are married, " and then change it to "You are are not married?"  I need to know more on how to modify the brain editor of the new version of Hal 6.

I need some examples on how to delete/change things from hal's brain.

thanking you in advance,

El Greko

quote:
Originally posted by Art

Or, you could make the necessary changes with the brain editor if so inclined and careful.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:47:11 am by snicolaou »
Stelios Nicolaou