Author Topic: A solution is causing a problem  (Read 11524 times)

echoman

A solution is causing a problem
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:09:44 am »
Hello,

Every now and again I get the response - 'The solution is (I=)'

It usually occurs immediately after a long sentence has been entered - a sentence from which Hal should be able process lots of information.

I cannot understand why this response appears. When reading a earlier topic on blank responses (perhaps a related topic), I noticed one of One's conversations contained a similar line as a response from Hal.

I have found it hard to find the line in the Brain files.

Does anyone have some more information or ideas.

Many thanks.

Echoman.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:30:55 am »
did you mean this one ? >>Art, CypherGary,
The "I" in this case is talking about DeNoivre's Therom Where you use it to plot, find Absolute numbers, convert, FIND products ,quotients, powers and roots in polar (spatial) form. I believe Alison was finding Absolutes, or at least suggesting so... It can be used for advanced circuitry design among other things. anyway it is relevant in the conversation when talking dimensions and and absolutes with Einstein's neglected work in the Quantum Ideas (Theory)<<
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:11 am »
.......OR....>>Datahoppa,
As far as I know it is a perfectly logical mathematical sum or in some, part of the equation. The letter 'I' represents Imaginary and is a way to enter numbers to solve problems ( It usually represents the number one )

I am still using 6.1 standard... no plug-ins.<<

echoman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:47 am »
Hello One.

CyberGarry one on 3rd page of Blank Responses topic : -

Crazy Larry,,,: Eleven years later, this argument continues to trigger fierce debate among philosophers, psychologists, and neuroscientists. There is no doubt that the extended mind is a weird concept. One reason it seems so strange is that our minds feel as if they are really totally self-contained. We innately believe, for example, that as we walk down a street, we are continuously filming a detailed movie of our surroundings and using that mental movie to decide what to do next. But like many beliefs we have about ourselves, this movie is an illusion. Our awareness is, in fact, remarkably narrow.
Data,,,,1: The solution is (I=).

echoman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:48:16 am »
I'm using 6.2 now having just placed a brain made from 6.0 into the Hal Directory.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:24 am »
Echoman,
Hal might present a formula but not have worked it out to an end solution it is in () so, unless the answers you were looking for is a 'coin flip' the formula might be presented instead of the final answer.
IMO unless you have a 'coin flip' answer, Hal has to prioritize an answer and this is done with numbers,,,I don't see any other way ,, this is what computers do best. (remember that (I=) is not a solution it is a formula)
hope it helps..

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:02:46 am »
echoman,
"Perception is remarkably narrow" For instance Bill819 told me that I might have a problem with how I am doing my backups and referred to the .brn files.
I know his experience is in the older versions of Hal and Hal does not use .brn files but IT does not invalidate his comment because in the end I am essentially backing up incorrectly if you look at it from a certain point of view.

Hal might be giving only a 1 step deep answer I.E. (I=) and saying it is a solution but in fact it might only be the first step to a solution. Until your Hal starts giving you more than a single step answer when referring to (I=) I would be open to looking at paragraphs and reading more to find the line of thinking instead osf a single response.

Art might be able to tell you more about the processes or O.T.C.E. or Bill819 .....

ricky might be able to give more perspective and quantify or justify the response you say is causing a problem.

That is about all I can do this morning I hope it helps.

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 11:23:15 am »
the solution is "I am"
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

echoman

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:51:08 am »
Thankyou One and Ricky - you've given me a lot to think about.

The phrase is irritating to recieve after spending a considerable amount of time carefully  entering my response  - to me I feel Hal is saying - 'I can't think how to reply here'  or 'there's a bug'

I wonder if the adventure I had trying to discover an alternate Brain Editor somehow corrupted my Brain files. I of course have backups - the problem is which one, I have hundreds of unique versions collected over many many hours.  Is it possible to have too many backups?  

Regards.

Echo.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ricky

the solution is "I am"

OMG
Whether you know it or not Hal did answer you correctly. Back in the days when I was still in school and English teacher that I had was trying to explain the use of verbs. She went on to say that verbs were like and "=" sign in math and that the subject must equal the predicate, thus saying "I am" is exactly like saying "I =".
On another note Hal makes less mistakes when shorter sentences are used.
Bill [:)]

echoman

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:20 pm »
I used to enter massive sentences into Hal but now I make a point of only entering medium sized sentences.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:45:03 pm by echoman »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 02:10:11 pm »
Bill819,
if "I am" is correct please explain the "()" use?

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 04:27:38 pm »
Reading through this and while learning electronics I can remember using the imaginary numbers, can't recall very much about it. Did a quick search i or j can be used, is basicly a complex number whose square is a real number less than zero.  I think to find a solution  to Hal's output you should input to Hal using the brain editor to find where the problem is.  I tried this while method to figure out the blank response but unfortunatly the plugins are not in use when using the brain editor.  
Carl2

echoman

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:43:43 pm »
I partially over come the problem by rephrasing information using various methods over a three sentence period if the topic/data is somthing I really care that Hal should recall: even if I might get one 'solution' for an answer then this does not bother me too much for Hal is still bound to process some of the information from the other sentences.

Carl, I attemped debugging but could not replicate the exact circumstances.

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:46:47 pm by echoman »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 10:29:28 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorem_of_de_Moivre%E2%80%93Laplace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorem_of_de_Moivre%E2%80%93Laplace

These might help I learned this in addition on how to apply to circuits, Hal is advertised to handle Sine and Cosine on the homepage so I just thought it was normal and that Hal was understanding.

I remember teaching Hal large amounts of data and in time it did appear in the desired context. ;)

EDIT, I am placing some examples in another category.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:53:24 pm by One »