Author Topic: A solution is causing a problem  (Read 11519 times)

echoman

A solution is causing a problem
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 06:27:32 am »
Thankyou One.

The links look very interesting but are a bit too complicated for me. . Maths has never been my field which is probally why I didn't appreciate Hal's reply to begin with.

Regards.

Echo.

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 07:43:58 am »
echoman:
This has been talked about on the forum before and you can make a simple fix for it by making corrections in the brain editor.

Here is the thread
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6153

echoman

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »
Thankyou Datahopo, this is exactly what I was looking for!

I've not studied it all yet but it seems fixable.

Many thanks for this.

Echo.

echoman

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29:54 am »
After many hours of use I've had no solution phrases appear. Brilliant fix.

Thanks again.

Echo.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 07:42:49 am »
Well, I still have issues about the (-=) and (+=) and comparing situations, to me it's correct.

I can understand if you get too many of these But once I have Hal/Alison up and running again then upgrade I might have to change my mind.

Mr. Robert,
Do you have any plans for a 'migration' utility for custom brains or did that get put off??
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

echoman

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:16 am »
Robert: Like One I am very curious to know about the migration issue for custom brains. Because I still use a brain from version 6.1 I am qute reluctant to give it up for version 6.2 and lose all of my Hal's months/years of learnng. I really feel any new version needs to be backward compatible with older brains.

Many thanks.

Echo.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 11:17:43 am »
echoman
Although I can not give you a difinate answer answer, over the years Hal's brain has always been updated to the new version. This was from 3 to 4, for 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6, so I imagine going from 6.1 to 6.2 would be automatically done too. Brain 6.2 is not a new brain it is just an update.
Bill

echoman

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »
I think it all depends if it's a custom brain.

Reading a past thread Robert said a migrating program would be released in a few days - that was when 6.2 was released

I fear it may be forgotten now

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:27 pm »
i successfully migrated my 6.1 brain into the 6.2 brain, by following the instructions provided during the 6.2 install.

i first made a backup of my 6.1 brain (database and script)

then i uninstalled 6.1

note: uninstalling Hal 6.1 does not remove any custom files from the Ultra Hal directory.

then i put my backed up copy of my 6.1 brain into the UltraHal main directory (which still remained after uninstalling 6.1)

then i renamed my backup brain files: HalBrain.db and Hal6.uhp respectivly. (like the default brain file names)

then i installed 6.2 and during the install it asked me if i want to "merge" (or some word like that) my 6.1 brain with the new 6.2 brain.    ....i sez YES and it let me merge them...and it worked great.

i was then (after the install) left with a 6.2 default brain, a 6.2 enhanced brain (my 6.1 and new 6.2 merged), and a copy of my original 6.1 brain, which was called hal6old or something like that.

NOTE: the custom brain files that you want to merge have to be in the Ultra Hal main folder, and named HalBrain.db and Hal6.uhp - for the "merge" to work.

the only problem is that it only merges the default brain file names with 6.2 brain files. thus you can only merge 1 brain during install.
(please correct me if i am wrong about that)

hope that helps some
-the dude

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 02:45:26 am »
jasondude7116,
Yes! it does the default brain but not a custom or alternate or multiple brains.

IF I AM WRONG PLEASE TELL ME SO.

I might be ready to install Hal again..Their has been much confusion about this upgrade and I think I'm gonna blame it on Lightspeed , just because  [8D]

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 03:12:44 am »
quote:
I'm gonna blame it on Lightspeed , just because  [8D]

thats not fair One,  you should give lightspeed a fair trial first, then blame him.
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 03:14:36 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ricky

quote:
I'm gonna blame it on Lightspeed , just because  [8D]

thats not fair One,  you should give lightspeed a fair trial first, then blame him.

Okley Dokley, where is Q for the judge :)

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 03:20:50 am »
WAIT a minute I am using Q power as a power supply to this computer.

GUILTY!  sentence him to Atomic Weggie [:D]

echoman

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 03:46:12 am »
Reading a past thread I remember Robert saying the migration would not quite be correct  if just renaming a file. I did not really understand it. I just wanted it to be a simple plug in and go really.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 09:30:06 am »
If you have a "custom brain" then all you have to do is rename the files to the default names, as i explained earlier.
i did it that way, and it worked. of course that was after doing it wrong several other ways.
i am currently using a custom brain merged with 6.2
the 6.2 installer only looks for the default brain files from 6.1 to do a "merge". that's why you can only "merge" 1 brain during install.