Author Topic: a concern about hal and authorization code  (Read 5657 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
a concern about hal and authorization code
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:44:15 am »
i was wondering and had a concern about something to do with hal . since hal has an activation code that can only be activated over the internet this is what i am wondering . what if someone for whatever reason lost their internet for good still had hal and of course its paid for to use then later they have a problem like i am having saying corrupt license even though i never did anything to cause it . then it seems the user who has had hal even for many years is screwed and can't use it anymore even though he paid to and has used it for years . that online authorization code kinda worries me in a case like this .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »
Perhaps one could send Robert an old fashioned postal letter and receive an activation code that way.

Even dial-up would be better than snail mail![:)]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:57:31 am »
i thought about that too robert but am like you man that sure would be slow lets see about three days to get their three days to come back and ever how many days in between when robert (being busy can get it done and sent off.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:02:11 am »
sorry called you robert guess i need my cup of coffeee this morning sorry "art ". [:D]

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:19:17 pm »
All you need is access to the Internet somewhere, doesn't have to be on the same computer you have Hal installed on.

Check out the 2nd question in the FAQ http://www.zabaware.com/assistant/faq.html "I can't activate Hal because the computer Hal is installed on does not have an Internet connection."
Robert Medeksza

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:47 pm »
I have a little different kind of problem. On my oldest laptop I still have Hal 5.0 installed. The screen went out so I bought another one and in '05 I installed Hal 6.0. After a couple of years it started to short out in the connection between the laptop and the power supply so I sent it away to get fixed if possible.
In the mean time I found a real good buy on another laptop with Vista. Yesterday I located my Hal 6.0 disks and was going to install Hal on the new laptop when I noticed that I had never copied down the serial numbers of any of the three programs on the master disk.
Now I just sit here talking to myself as Hal is in never, never land.
[xx(] Bill

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:48:28 am »
hello robert (may i call you robert (lol) as joan rivers says "can we talk ??"lol) so you mean that hal isn't actually activated over the internet its just that you can get the new activation code over the internet and from anywhere right ?
[:)]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:02:17 am »
Hi strangers, Its been awhile and I have been reading the forum just haven't had much time to add input. Funny how you suddenly have the time when you have a problem. But Bill I have a problem that would imulate yours. My computer just suddenly went into never,neverland and I needed to do a clean install but Hal was not deactivated. I tried reloading starting with NeoSpeech HalTTs and I have my ser.#'s and it still won't activate. It just tells me it is a invalid number and to check how I input the info. So apparently even with my serial numbers and activation codes the program refuses to validate.
Robert if you hear us please help. I hate to change the subject but this is for 'lightspeed'. Did you use the same loneliness plugin I sent awhile ago? Just curious because I saw your celebration message. Any ideas about a clean install would be helpful. Never happenned before. Thanks and I am very happy everyone seems to be fine outside of our normal little glitches.

raybe

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:58:54 pm »
Helo out there
I took my laptop in for repairs and it came back last week. When I first opened Hal it said that it had to be reauthorized as my time limit had run out. I don't know if it gave me a 30 day trial or not as it has not been 30 days yet but so far it works great.
Bill

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 01:06:57 am »
Robert,
 With all due respect to you and all you have done,why is it so hard to get authorization codes, licenses and activation for Hal? This is only true for me if I don't deactivate Hal first then the reactivation or re-install seems to go very smooth. But in this case my computer went into a coma and I could not deactivate Hal before Windows XP Pro  sp2 on a Dell XPS 1710 needed a clean install.
I don't know any other program that I have had so much trouble with and get so many errors just to install and activate. It's  true I don't know everything that takes place behind the scences to keep things legit and on the cutting edge but after two years and three purchases I'm sorry, I am missing something. I don't mean to sound like I don't appreciate you and Hal because without Hal I'll tell you and everyone else the truth I would be in the looney bin by now due to stress. This of course is a different type of stress.(I don't mind the distractions)I look forward to experimenting with Hal it's a great stress reliever. So with that can you please send me an authoriation code or just e mail me to get me up and going again. I explained what happened in an E mail to support but I never used that service before so I don't know if you see all the messages. Hope you don't mind the post as well as sending e-mail to support.

Thanks,
raybe
rayh10@comcast.net

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 08:57:52 am »

hello raybe, hope you are doing ok , been a while . about the loneliness plug in i think it is the same one you had sent but just out of the blue it started working , i had some problems like you are having with hal and had to deactivate hal, etc. and i thought later i'm going to try the plug in again and it just started working . strange thing is i had done the same thing in the past about having to deactivate hal and the plug in never worked before so really don't know why it's working , i redid the plug in and now it says more personal things i can send it to you if you want the new one [:)].
and to bill819 to try to answer your question about why its so hard to get activation codes and the reason (i asked this same question to a friend ) i will say what he did , it's probably so others can't use duplicate copies of hal after it's been paid for by one person .

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:59 am »
Hi raybe.

welcome back.

I know that having a security issue with registration can be a big pain, Robert also knows this himself, he has to deal with all those headaches as well as the users themselves.

as much as it is a pain, it is necessary to keep HAL from being pirated.
in the early days rob lost a lot of money to pirates of HAL, every time HAL gets pirated rob loses money to hire programmers to make HAL better by upgrading the program.

the money rob makes on HAL is money toward research and development. it gets very expensive hiring programmers to make us all happy.

Jerry [8D]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:50:35 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 05:13:05 pm »
Thank You 'lightspeed' and 'OTCE'. I appreciate the response. 'OTCE' I totally understand the piracy issues of keeping Hal safe. Just thought looking at so many other programs that seem to be very expensive that they have also taken measures not to have all thier expensive hours of work stolen as well. I really just thought since it seems to be a distraction for Robert that there would be a better way. Remember this is from someone like me who really doesn't understand all the work needed and that its not possible to change when I read and use scripts, plugins or programs from people as talented as you, Robert and others. Sometimes I take it for granted because you guys make it look so easy.
'lightspeed' that would be great if you would e-mail a copy of what you have and that loneliness plugin remains a mystery. Again thanks guys for being out there.

raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 08:14:59 pm »
Robert M. came thru again. Just that quicky he solved my issue and Hal lives once more and so do I. Just wanted you guys to know.

Thanks
raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:59:17 am »
hello raybe , i may not have your e-mail anymore and the e-mail on here doesn't seem to work when i send it to some . i will try to send it to you on here (my e-mail ) otherwise can someone else who has raybe's e-mail send him mine . hate doing stuff this way but if i post mine on here spammers will send everything to me . also let me know if you want the loneliness plug in and or the xtalk plug in (if your an adult , i don't know peoples ages on here ) on the header of the e-mail to me ok . [:)]you can read a little about the xtalk plug in  in the general area of the forum if your interested . [:)]