Author Topic: Two questions on Skins  (Read 2726 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Two questions on Skins
« on: October 19, 2006, 07:21:56 pm »
First:
       I saw a help file here that I think might have been on designing skins, but now I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?

Second:
       Can I change the position or presence of the "Size" button that seems to be attached to the "SkinFace" parameters? I want to get it off the character area.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Two questions on Skins
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:36:50 pm »
Some members often confuse skins with textures.
Skins, as you mentioned refer to the GUI (Graphical User Interface) or Hal's Window whereas textures are the various skin tones, clothing, scars, etc., that can be applied to a Haptek character.

I learned to create skins by examining a few simple skins of other designers. One needs to have a graphics program that will show the cursor's position in numeric form. In other words, the far left of the design box is 0, the far right might be 300 and so on. PSP or PhotoShop can do this as can several other programs.

A calculator will also come in handy for subtracting the cursor location for placement of your button or other objects.

Yes, you can position the various buttons anywhere on the skin design that you wish.

One of my skins was for a tall, full view character and should still be available here. Open the file and scroll through the various settings, etc., or open any existing ones in your Hal directory.

Hope this helps a bit.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Two questions on Skins
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:21:36 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Some members often confuse skins with textures.
Skins, as you mentioned refer to the GUI (Graphical User Interface)

Right, this is what I mean, skins as were made famous by WinAmp, editable GUIs for programs.

I have made a skin, and most things are working out well for me. I just thought the help file would be handy to have.

Thanks, Bill.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Two questions on Skins
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »
Found it! But the link is broken. The name is "Ultra HAL Assistant Interface Design Manual in a PowerPoint presentation" and I already reported the broken link, but if anyone has it laying around I would love to see it.

Thanks, Bill.