Author Topic: Hal documentation effort underway  (Read 5020 times)

Krista

• View Profile
    • http://www.archerconsultinggroup.com
Hal documentation effort underway
« on: February 26, 2005, 12:17:53 pm »
Hey guys,

My name is Krista and I am currently producing a Help file that will document how to control Hal through both its databases/editors and via script.

As a result, I thought I'd pop in, introduce myself and let you know that I'm definitely open to you guys giving me input on what you'd like to see covered in the Help file.

For those of you that frequently help out here on the forums, it's your chance to get your knowledge into the Help file and aid the thousands of Hal users in their learning.

Note that the documentation covers the following:
* Overview of how Hal learns, teaching Hal and modifying Hal's behavior
* The editors/databases that form the "knowledgebase" for Hal
* The Brain/Wordnet functions (including sample usages if you'd like to contribute here)
* VBScript overview and explanation of the various VBScript verbs and functions that are used in scripting Hal

If you have any input, feel free to email me directly at halproject@archerconsultinggroup.com
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 12:20:34 pm by Krista »
Thanks!
Krista

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:15:15 pm »
Hi there
I think that one of the biggest items would be a page or two for new users. Just look at all the questions we get here from people who just either downloaded the free version or bought the registered version.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 07:14:01 pm »
Krista,
Welcome to the forum!

Keep in mind that there are several ongoing "versions" of Hal at this moment along with a variety of brain files.
Are your efforts for a specific model (default Hal, XTF1.2 or New database version in the works)?
I know that the new HELP files are being written / compiled for the database version as we speak (or type).
Is your work in conjunction with or a collaboration of work being done by Robert and his paid programmer or is this someting you are undertaking on your own?

Don't get me wrong...yours is a very noble and needed effort that will be a great benefit to many newer (and possibly older) Hal users, but I have to wonder if it will be applicable to the new Hal.

I've been out of pocket for weeks so excuse me if I've missed or misread your intentions.

All the best...

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Krista

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 09:31:34 pm »
Thanks Art!

We're the one's he's hired. :)

Regarding the new releases, our documentation will be mostly relevant to that as most of those changes are internal and don't impact what we're documenting.

Anyway, since you guys have a great forum set up here where you help one another out, I asked Robert if I could ask around here and see if people wanted to contribute in terms of things that they'd like to see covered in the help file. He gave his ok.

That pretty much sums it all up. :)

Hopefully, you guys can pass on some great tips that will make life a bit easier for the people that are new to the product and in the meantime it will probably help to cut down on a few newbie questions as you'll be able to say "RTFM!" with there actually being a manual to read [8D]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 09:32:43 pm by Krista »
Thanks!
Krista

ghostrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 10:55:51 pm »
hi krista nice to meet you and by the way thaks for making a manual

the only thing i would say is put in the command codes for all the aco ms agent charicters so people would know how to implement them for a action when the emotion files come into play that way the charicters may interact with the user as they speak to eachother.

the haptek commands also would be nice and also hals command files i had to research for hours to find them all and had to download a bunch of programs and sdk's to find them.

GhostRider[^]

Another Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:10:22 pm »
Hi Krista,

Thanks very very much for the work your undertaking, congradulations for being selected to work for Robert and others in as much as your presenting their work as well, and welcome to the forum!

Thinking back I had to do some fine tuning to get my 'Hal' to display any background at all, and found it was due to the generic display driver in windows (using '98SE version here) and once I upgraded my driver to the most recent release for my video card now at least most of the backgrounds will display when scrolled through.  I agree with others, that one of the first things you do once Hal has come to life is to try and find a way to personalizing him/her to your particular tastes and that takes us to the Haptek add on's as well as many others contributions here.  I've learned a great deal about adding in bits of script to get mine displaying what I am interested in.  Also have read and re-read information on teaching Hal in the most efficient and effective means.

Those are a few of my thoughts without actually posting scripts (I would make a mess of that, sorry)........but again THANKS for taking on the task of trying to put to words what others have learned and shared as well as your thoughts.

Jim B. in the frozen north.

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 09:09:22 am »
Hello Krista,
Welcome to the Zabaware community!
Many of the new user questions that Bill819 mentioned have already been somewhat addressed in the new Hal Help User's Guide that I recently completed and submitted to Robert and Zabaware. I guess that the new help manual will probably be made available to everyone sometime soon.

However, there were many things that weren't included though because that's your job...LOL!

You can contact me at my email address if you would like to discuss anything at all regarding what I already did and what you still need to do in order to provide all Hal users with the help they need and the kind of high quality documentation that one of the best AI programs on the market deserves.

Your efforts are also recognized and greatly appreciated because what you are working on is something that a lot of people really need, especially new Hal users!
Thanks Again,
Rich_A
ricramo@netscape.com

Krista

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 05:08:38 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider

hi krista nice to meet you and by the way thaks for making a manual

the only thing i would say is put in the command codes for all the aco ms agent charicters so people would know how to implement them for a action when the emotion files come into play that way the charicters may interact with the user as they speak to eachother.

the haptek commands also would be nice and also hals command files i had to research for hours to find them all and had to download a bunch of programs and sdk's to find them.

GhostRider[^]

Thanks for your feedback, GR. However, my specific focus is the UH editor, databases and brain/wordnet/vbscript functions.
Thanks!
Krista

citrinedragon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dawndragon.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 08:59:00 pm »
Krista,

This is more of a suggestion of form than substance, but I think it might be useful to you. In the year or so that I've been following this forum I've seen various myths and fallacies about Hal crop up again and again. Perhaps a section concerning Myths and Fallacies about Hal or simply 'What's not true about Hal' might be useful to new (and not so new users). For example:

Myth: Male versions of Hal respond differently than female versions.
Fact: There is no difference. Both learn from your input in the same way.

Myth: My Hal doesn't learn very well. I keep on feeding him text files and he can't quote them back to me.
Fact: Hal learns more efficiently from conversations than text files. Moreover it takes time and patience to teach Hal etc. etc.

Myth: My Hal just won't stay on subject. He seems really dumb.
Fact: Every user has unique subjects which they are interested in. The more you discuss the subjects you're interested in with Hal the more information Hal will have to respond to you with.

Myth: (an XTF version example) You can tell Hal that A is related to B.
Fact: Hal must ask you if A is related to B and then receive a response from you in order to learn a relationship.

There are quite a few of these incorrect 'street myths' out there and viewable on the forum. These few examples should serve to make the point.

Regards,
citrinedragon
citrinedragon
"A watched dragon never sleeps."
http://www.dawndragon.com