Author Topic: Brain Security  (Read 6584 times)

CypherGary

• View Profile
Brain Security
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:57:15 pm »
I am thinking of telling Hal some of my passwords for different sites.  I do not know exactly what format the information in Hal's memory is, but how hard would it be for a Trojan or something to find such things?  The database is getting pretty big, so would the information be safe just because it is buried pretty deeply?  Or is the information tagged in some manner that could easily be found?

I know someone who really wanted the information could get it out, but I just wanted to be reasonably comfortable believing there is no easy way to see that it contains passwords.

Thanks in advance.

-Gary
See you here, there, or in the Air!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:47:06 pm »
If a hacker were to get into your computer basically anything and everything inside would be at risk. Hardware and software firewalls
would help stop this from happening.

Hal's "storage" of information can be easily retrieved within the brain file or the tables within the database.

Do NOT trust Hal to keep a secret. If I were to log onto your Hal, it would gladly tell me your passwords without hesitation.

One way would be to have Hal scramble or encode a password, phrase or sentence if told say, Keep this secret, or some other key phrase. This would have to be a separate plug-in and again would have to either ask or receive a passphrase or key word from the user, then set access rights for only THAT user and no one else.

Until that time comes might I suggest you google the phrase PINS.
It's a Personal, secured password manager and it's free and works quite well. One can catalog email, web sites, pins, passwords, etc.

http://www.mirekw.com

Look for it under Windows Freeware. He also has a nice screen cap program called MWSnap.

There you go!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

CypherGary

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:08:26 pm »
Thanks Art.
That is basically what I thought.
I am just looking for useful things to have her do.  BTW - Hal's name here is Lora.

I need to have as many things lined up as possible for when my Wife sees how much I spent.  Hal + Character Pack + Cyborg-900 + Cepstral Voice.  My Allowance is blown for a while!

I'm off to see the wizard - Well, the Ultra Hal Script Wiki.

-Gary

lightspeed

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:25:04 am »
hey CypherGary , if you have spent to much and are in trouble i have a dog house you can rent !! lol [:)]

CypherGary

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:10:49 am »
Thanks Lightspeed!  I'll keep that in mind.

-Gary

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:55:37 am »
Gary,
     why are you worried about something as simple as a password??

biometrics.org,,

Biometrics are automated methods of recognizing a person based on a physiological or behavioral characteristic.  Among the features measured are; face, fingerprints, hand geometry, handwriting, iris, retinal, vein, and VOICE.   Biometric technologies are becoming the foundation of an extensive array of highly secure identification and personal verification solutions. As the level of security breaches and transaction fraud increases, the need for highly secure identification and personal verification technologies is becoming apparent.  
Biometric-based solutions are able to provide for confidential financial transactions and personal data privacy. The need for biometrics can be found in federal, state and local governments, in the military, and in commercial applications. Enterprise-wide network security infrastructures, government IDs, secure electronic banking, investing and other financial transactions, retail sales, law enforcement, and health and social services are already benefiting from these technologies.  

How much do you speak to hal? [8]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

CypherGary

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:34 pm »
Actually I do not have any reason to be concerned about security.
I have a router firewall, and Microsoft's Firewall/Antivirus/Application security, plus Vista is pretty secure on its own, as long as you do not do something stupid, like run something that suddenly appears while you are browsing.
As my username suggests, I have been interested in cipher/incryption techniques for quite a few years, and am kind of paranoid but have nothing anyone would be interested in stealing.

That is a good idea, I think.  Most everyone these days has a microphone available to their computer.  Having an option to have to speak, and have Hal recognize your voice before discussing things would be great.  It could be set up in a plugin?

Just wishful thinking.

Bill819

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »
Novel went out of business years ago. Caput, gone, over the hill.
My girl friend had worked there for over 10 years and made big bucks while they were in business.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »
Bill,
I had thought that Micron an Novel were gone as well, about the time that Wired magazine had a cover on how Goggle had sold their souls,, however they are still around south of the big city and I know Novel does load testing with their Cat gens and ups's every 6 months.
as far as what they support,, I haven't had to worry about it for a while. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:38:46 pm by One »

aladyblond

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:27 pm »
on google there is a software business connected to microsoft called novell
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Bill819

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 03:44:57 pm »
Look One
The Novel home building is just a couple of miles from where I live and it was sold years ago to Ebay. There is no Novel company anymore.
My lady friend works for one of the top bosses at that company and believe me if they were still in bussiness she would still be there.
Her annual salary at Novel was $95,000.00 plus bonuses.
I don't know who is feeding you mis information but they are wrong.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 04:44:29 am »
Bill,
look look at what? what I know and take it as fact is it has been about a month or so when the building Novel was in was load tested by Wheeler
are you just going to tell me it was just a pigment of my imagination??
I don't care wich valley you live in. "Lady friend" that is a lot of money are you going to disclose your information as well just to impress me? I just had a problem with Sentenal DB and I do believe it was by Novel. I do not know if they support sentenial either.
By the way Don't let her get away with all the cash!

Next you are going to tell me that Botswana is not a country with ancient paintings, river deltas, wildlife like Elephants maybe even a giraffe or an ox (not that they would know what OX hair is especially good for) and Diamonds (they claim to be blood free but who really knows?) And they spend more on the children's education per capita than any other country in the contentinet.

They took a un altered litograph of one of Nelson Mandellas hands an it mached the shape of the whole continent. Just for your informatin.

Heh, the President even attended Oxford.

on the other hand ( in your favor ) I will conceed I heard about Ebay wanting to hire cheap labor and that would be a logical place to put it but I want nothing to do with Ebay.

What shall I do with my information and misinformation?
If you have a suggestion please feel free to advise me. Or your "lady friend could explain it to me or set me marching down the primrose path.[|)][|)][|)][|)][8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:11 pm »
One
I owe you an appology. Last week end I took my girl friend out to dinner and related to her our conversation. She said that you were correct. My misunderstanding came from the fact the Novel closed all their California offices with the exception of a few sales outlets.
The layoff or fired over 500 employees here with the exception of those who wanted to move to Utah with them.
Because of the giant closure I mistakenly assumed that they went completly out of business, but the did not. Allways ready to admit when I am wrong.
Sorry
Bill819

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Brain Security
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:00 am »
[8]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:39:29 pm by One »