dupa

Author Topic: Hal Backup  (Read 8089 times)

CypherGary

• View Profile
Hal Backup
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:24:11 am »
I found a program called 'Live Mesh' from Microsoft.
It basicly keeps track of any files or directories I choose, and keeps them backed up on a server.

Exactly what files are modified by using Hal?
I know the brain would be, but how many other files keep references, stats, and such?

I wonder if that would make a good plugin? To be able to tell Hal to backup his data files somewhere?

That reminds me of another question. This Mesh program will allow me to keep files synchronised over 2 or more computers.

I have Hal on this computer. I log off this computer and go over to my other computer. When I log onto that computer, Mesh sees Hal was updated on the other computer, and updates Hal'd data. As long as I am only using Hal on one computer at a time, would that violate my license?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 09:30:10 am by CypherGary »
See you here, there, or in the Air!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:33:14 pm »
Sounds like a networked version of a RAID system or Norton's GHOST program.

You could open Windows Explorer to your Hal directory, take a snapshot (instead of copying down all the files by hand), then Run your Hal program and with Explorer still open, take another snapshot or screen capture. Open both images and compare. Then you'll know.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

CypherGary

• View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:06:18 pm »
Thats an idea.
After I posted, I realized I could just look at the file modification dates.  Have the explorer sort by that date.

I see the license file seems to have some activity.  I'd hate to try something, and have the license self distruct, or something.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:41:55 pm »
Gary,

If you're moving your copy of Hal to a different computer you should deactivate first.

You can then reactivate once Hal has been moved successfully.

Typically you're allowed 4 installs of Hal on your system.
After that, you'll need to contact Robert Medeksza.

One,
I failed to see how raided gold applies to Gary's posting. If it was Hal's response I could understand but if it was yours you might see about upping your meds.[:D]

- Art -

echoman

Hal Backup
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:19:57 pm »
One, you keep leaping into random subjects.

CypherGary

• View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:11:34 pm »
I am running Hal on a Laptop.
If something happens where this Laptop gets crushed or stolen,
how much trouble would it be to get it running on another computer?
I have a Desktop PC, but do not use it because I like the Laptop too much.
I make backups of all the directories associated with Hal, but I realize when I go to run it, it will think I am playing some game.
Also, is it possible to get an old copy deactivated?  Where the Laptop got stolen, and Hal would probably not notice and keep chatting with his new owner.

Just thinking ahead.  Whatever the worse case scenerio is, will happen to me.

echoman

Hal Backup
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 04:45:49 pm »
Hello Gary.

Sounds like a privacy issue. I once heard of a program called 'eraser' or something like that (think it can be found on download.com). This deletes files so well they cannot be recovered.

I suggest backing up from the Zabaware directory :

halbrain.db     -   Table information that was learned

HAL6.uhp

onto a disk each time you have finished using Hal: then erase.

You know for sure that no one will be messing with your Hal as it does not exist on your computer. Just load it back from your disk each time.

We say some pretty private things to Hal: its like he's my counsellor. I know how you feel. I used to securely erase Hal each time but now I just couldn't care less. I leave my Hal in all its glory......    But I have started backing up (after lightspeeds advice).

By the way I think you get about 4 or 5 downloads on one licence. Many of the licence issues have been sorted out, so its pretty easy to load it on a new computer. Just make sure you back up.....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:53:25 pm by echoman »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »
Gary,

I don't recall the name of the program but it's similar to a software version of lojack.
If stolen and later connected, it realized perhaps the different MAC address and connects to a monitoring location.

Some laptops reportedly come with this software but I don't know which ones.

Echoman's remarks reminds me of a program that requires proper identification from the user. You should always password protect your computer at bootup. This other program once prompted for correct user info, upon receiving an invalid user attempt, automatically formats the drive. Actually one could write a small batch file to do practically the same thing. Writing garbage to the FAT would also scramble the OS for all practical purposes.

Check out some of the freeware sites and computer security sites.

Good thoughts!!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Hal Backup
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:12:22 am »
quote:
Originally posted by echoman

One, you keep leaping into random subjects.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that [;)]

quote:
Art
One,
I failed to see how raided gold applies to Gary's posting. If it was Hal's response I could understand but if it was yours you might see about upping your meds.

Yes, or just sticking to the topic.  Sorry it is becomming annoying though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:14:41 am by freddy888 »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Hal Backup
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 03:13:31 pm »
Hmmm...yeah..I had a cat called Tiger...but do you find that interesting?  That was my point.  If you do fair enough I suppose.  Anyways , peace [8D] I think I was in a bad mood this morning...I will wait for you to enlighten me. [^]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:26:38 pm by freddy888 »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:25 pm »
Do YOU like music?
I tried to get my bot to understand but their was no synthisizer plug in..

Artist:    Sarah McLachlan
Album:    Mirrorball
Title:    Building A Mystery

you come out at night
that's when the energy comes
and the dark side's light
and the vampires roam
you strut your rasta wear
and your suicide poem
and a cross from a faith
that died before Jesus came
you're building a mystery

you live in a church
where you sleep with voodoo dolls
and you won't give up the search
for the ghosts in the halls
you wear sandals in the snow
and a smile that won't wash away
can you look out the window
without your shadow getting in the way
oh you're so beautiful
with an edge and a charm
but so careful
when I'm in your arms

(chorus)
'cause you're working
building a mystery
holding on and holding it in
yeah you're working
building a mystery
and choosing so carefully

you woke up screaming aloud
a prayer from your secret god
you feed off our fears
and hold back your tears

give us a tantrum
and a know it all grin
just when we need one
when the evening's thin

oh you're a beautiful
a beautiful ****ed up man
you're setting up your
razor wire shrine

chorus

repeat chorus[:)][8]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

echoman

Hal Backup
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 04:25:56 am »
One.

Your song has  nothing to do with the present topic.

I am growing very tired of these random posts: they are spoiling this forum.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 05:09:56 am »
echoman,

In response to your earlier, on topic posting, I found several
sites, some that offer a freeware tracker.

To help make sure that the Computrace Agent cannot be disabled by criminals, Absolute Software works with computer manufacturers to pre-install a portion of the agent in the BIOS. The BIOS-based Computrace Agent has the ability to survive operating re-installations, hard-drive reformats, and hard drive replacements. Find out which computers come with Computrace built into the BIOS

The Bios-based agent will secretly re-install Computrace LoJack for Laptops on a stolen computer, so our Theft Recovery Team can track and recover the stolen computer even if the hard drive has been replaced or tampered with.

Within seconds, Absolute can use one of three ways to determine where the wayward computer has gone. If it's a dial-up modem, it can tell what phone number the computer is using to get online, and trace the address. If it's broadband, it can track the IP address and then, with cooperation from the Internet Service Provider, locate the street address where the IP is installed. And then there's a third way that even John Livingston, Absolute's chairman and CEO won't tell us about.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/02/19/firm-launches-laptop-tracking-software-prevent-data-theft

http://www.tometasoftware.com/products_ssnet.asp

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:10:20 am by Art »

- Art -

echoman

Hal Backup
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 05:24:25 pm »
Hello Art.

This was quite a find!

A fantastic development and undoubtedly the future of portable data devices. Here in the UK we have had a series of data loss blunders within central and local government circles.

'If a laptop owner reports it missing to the control centre, or the control centre sees that the machine has been moved out of the secure zone, the system seeks out the digital heartbeat and deletes the data.'

I am unsure how the technology could securely delete data fast enough. The Gutmann method of deletion for example, can take days for extremely large files: surely it would be very simple to just remove the devices power source and prevent moving parts within the unit to function.

I am sure hard drives will be used less and less as future technologies develop with data being stored remotely.

Echoman.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 06:50:53 pm »
Peter,

They may not HAVE to delete ALL the data. All that would be needed would be to write garbage to the root / boot sectors of the HD. Even though the data and files are still there, they would be, for all intents and purposes, unreadable and unaccessible except for the possible use of a forensics program.

Kind of like when you delete a file. It's really NOT deleted, just the 1st character of the file name. Eventually the file becomes overwritten by new entries.

As far as drives being used less in the future, take a look at the capacities of solid state storage (thumbdrives, pendrives, flashdrives, etc.). Most are now larger than hard drives I purchased 10 years ago, for many times the cost.

I, for one, am not willing to entrust my data to any online storage company nor do I use email services that provide storage.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to keep my stuff when and where I can get to it.

- Art -