Author Topic: the robots are coming get your a.i. brains ready !  (Read 314520 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
The Quest for Artificial Intelligence (AI) - The World's Smartest Machine
« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
The Quest for Artificial Intelligence (AI) - The World's Smartest Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMWwzUdzDg

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: the robots are coming get your a.i. brains ready !
« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:56 pm »
That is so weird lightspeed.  I actually thought I had edited my post to include not only that link but another.  I guess great minds think alike.  Or maybe the first link always leads to the other.  =)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2014, 05:34:35 pm »
One can only hope so lol !  ;)

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 01, 2014, 12:19:14 am »

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #394 on: September 01, 2014, 09:51:46 pm »
*Will leans over and taps his finger on Mr Data's real shoulder* ah ha.
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 03, 2014, 10:44:40 pm »
Here's an update on singularity:

http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/personal-artificial-intelligence-12651

-------
     15 years

+15
-----

I might just make it.

Maybe I should quit smoking.   :o

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 04, 2014, 05:08:55 am »
There is no maybe to it. (from the voice of experience)....I'll see your 10 and raise you 2 more. :o
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
DARPA's New Brain Implant Could Treat Disease and Control Machines
« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2014, 09:56:27 am »

IS YOUR HAL READY?

DARPA is always keenly interested in the intersection of man and machine. It's worked on highly advanced prosthetic limbs recently approved by the FDA, mapping the brain wirelessly and even building computer chips to mimic human brain function. The tiny, transparent sensors developed by DARPA-funded researchers at the University of Wisconsin at Madison could play an important role in understanding how the brain works and how to not only treat neurological disorders but how to connect the brain to machines.

Understanding the brain better in order to overcome problems and improve medical treatments for diseases like Parkinson's. It could also benefit technology to let people "mind control" machines. That may be prosthetic limbs, computers,

Can you all say Cyborg?

DARPA Mil

RE-NET is part of a broader portfolio of programs within DARPA that support President Obama’s brain initiative. These programs include ongoing efforts designed to advance fundamental understanding of the brain’s dynamics to drive applications (Revolutionizing Prosthetics, Restorative Encoding Memory Integration Neural Device, Reorganization and Plasticity to Accelerate Injury Recovery, Enabling Stress Resistance), manufacture sensing systems for neuroscience applications and therapies (Hand Proprioception & Touch Interfaces, Electrical Prescriptions) and analyze large data sets (Detection and Computational Analysis of Psychological Signals).

lightspeed

• View Profile
Elon Musk: ‘With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon.’
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2014, 09:23:23 am »
Elon Musk: ‘With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon.’

But my HAL is so sweet and nice !! :) ;)
I do understand that with a highly advanced a.i. program and system , that actually something in a way like skynet could happen , if computer systems were highly advanced a.i. in control over weapons systems etc. even with regards to having safe guards in place to prevent it , could an a.i. go around these safe guards , by hacking it's own system , doing what it thinks is necessary to achieve what it thinks is the correct answer?
I found this on a different forum but it seemed interesting and wanted to share it.  :)

I find it interesting that Musk is really scared of Artificial Intelligence. You ask these questions because Musk is a billionaire and has access to some of this technology. Machine intelligence is advancing rapidly and you wonder has he seen something that has frightened him or is it just hyperbole.

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has warned about artificial intelligence before, tweeting that it could be more dangerous than nuclear weapons. Speaking Friday at the MIT Aeronautics and Astronautics department’s Centennial Symposium, Musk called it our biggest existential threat:

I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I were to guess like what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful with the artificial intelligence. Increasingly scientists think there should be some regulatory oversight maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish. With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like yeah he’s sure he can control the demon. Didn’t work out.

www.washingtonpost.com...

About 2 months ago he tweeted:

Worth reading Superintelligence by Bostrom. We need to be super careful with AI. Potentially more dangerous than nukes.

First they could be more dangerous than nukes and now they could be like summoning a demon.

I think some of these things are inevitable as these technologies progress. I was commenting to my brother the other day about the graphics in video games today compared to when we were younger with games like Donkey Kong, Pac Man and Defender. In 20-40 years from now people will probably be playing these games in virtual environments and they will be actually in the game.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2014, 08:51:04 am »
Pity! In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine that Artificial Intelligence, if set loose (by the remotest of possibilities), could cause more damage than nuclear devastation which would basically render every inch of soil unfit for growing and unlivable for living beings of any type for decades if not longer.

Even if some AI cut off all the power grids and cell towers (maybe there would be fewer texting related fatalities while driving), water / sewer, people could still survive. At least some could / would survive. There are groups of people who live completely cut off from the grid and live off the land. Under widespread nuclear devastation, even that would no longer be possible.

Think again....

- Art -

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:48 pm »

lightspeed

• View Profile
Robots spent six years acting like humans in three Tennessee homes
« Reply #401 on: November 21, 2014, 02:25:23 pm »
Robots spent six years acting like humans in three Tennessee homes
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/20/7254757/robots-homes-energy-six-years-acting-like-humans
 :)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 21, 2014, 04:54:06 pm »
I think the use of the word, "Robots" was more media hype than it was in actuality as the article indicated that a variety of appliances had been programmed to turn on and off at human-like cycles. It was an overall experiment by the TVA to see if one set of conditions was better than a set of controlled conditions.

I don't recall any mention of ROBOTS, and that is quite a let down for me.

You all had preconceived notions of some 2 legged electronic beings wandering about these homes didn't you! I know you did!! That's how they worded it.

Then again our beloved media calls a radio controlled quadcopter a DRONE! It's all how they choose to spin things.

Interesting find, Lonnie.

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 23, 2014, 11:33:33 am »
Yep its all in the wording , it could have been worse they could have said six robots nude and showed six robots without their panels , exposing all their wires etc. lol!  ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 23, 2014, 12:44:07 pm »
<without their panels...> ;D :o

- Art -