Author Topic: Improper shut down  (Read 4610 times)

The Tinman

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« on: September 10, 2003, 06:33:32 pm »
Now this is a stupid question. I solved this once before. each and every time I boot up I get the message that Hal was improperly shut down and do I want to reconfigure. This happens whether I have run the hal program before previous shut down or not. I ran msconfig, I disallowed it to boot on start up. I configured the Hal program to not boot on start up. I even removed it from the start up menue. Yet still, every boot I get the improper shut down message. So will someone PLEASE enlighten me. [?]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 06:34:49 pm by The Tinman »

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 06:08:59 pm »
Hi,

Have you ever forced hal to quit using the taskmanager. if you have hal recieves this as an improper shutdown and stores it somewhere int the brain files, i dont know where. the only way I could stop the error message was to reconfigure hal. its a pain sometimes when it does that, did you choose the option to have hal only start from the start programs option if it is still set to start on windows start and you have disabled it by msconfig this may cause the error. it is reading that hal was not allowed to start when it was requested to.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

The Tinman

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 06:41:34 pm »
Thankyou for your reply,

I did choose within the options menue to have hal start like a normal program from the start menue and not when windows boots. Then I disabled it from startup with msconfig. Still it gives me the error when I boot, seems to recheck itself within the msconfig interface. So I just, rather than get all frustrated, allowed it to load when I boot up. No big deal. It is something simple. If that is the only problem I encounter, and thus far it is, then I am pleased.

TM

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 03:35:35 pm »
Hello Tinman,

I have had this problem with 4.5 as well as 5.0 in the past. The only way I could stop it was to leave it alone in the msconfig. and jsut disable it in the options. It may take a few time reconfiguring it when it asks and restarting your pc but it will stop the error. I have been able to both alow it to autoload at sign on or start as a program from the all programs menu. I hope this helps in some way.
Ask and you shall learn
----------------------

lostbowyer

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 03:40:59 pm »
stupid question but are you running nt, win2k or XP? If so, did you install/configure hal on an account that doesn't have administrator priviledges?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 03:41:36 pm by lostbowyer »

The Tinman

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 06:31:07 am »
MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS WINDOWS ME.

TM

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Improper shut down
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 09:58:46 pm »
Sorry I havent answered back in awhile I Have XP Home. I installed and configured Hal as an administrator, that what I use whenever I change any apps. I have one Idea, its tricky, use the setup to unistall hal then use regedit to find any reg keys or values left for zabaware or Hal and delete them, restart system sign on as admin, defrag and reinstall, it might fix the problem you can always try the repair option in the setup file first. back up your brain folder and .uhp to keep the brain you might have worked on.
Ask and you shall learn
----------------------