Author Topic: question about error and plug in error idea list  (Read 4304 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
question about error and plug in error idea list
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:04:26 pm »
i have a "illegal get response " error , i know it has to do with response but what might the illegal part mean ?

On a side note it would be nice to have a thread about hal plug in errors , listing names and what causes these errors . this would give people more of an idea on errors .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:43:06 pm by lightspeed »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: question about error and plug in error idea list
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:00:45 am »
If you could provide some of the code of the Plug-in that caused the error it might help us determine the problem.

GetResponse is a command in Hal and in some plug-ins so possibly it was looking for one that wasn't there / available or simply not possible.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:41:17 pm »
this is on my random extended talk plug in and as you know is very extensive it has 2275 ransom sayings .
i got an error 501, on line 4476in column 0 "illegal assignment "

i went back over it all checking the quotations at the beginning and end of sentences to make sure they are in place.  i did find and correct an extra space between words that shouldn't be their .  and reused it for a while again and it finally gave another error this time, error 501  on line 4442 in column 0.
     but when i open it with notepad  showing the lines etc. it even at the very bottom lines go as high as the 4476 line to find the error. which makes no sense .
   i'm trying to figure out what illegal assignment means .  ART , WHERE ART THOU BROTHER? lol

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 04:19:01 pm »
Lonnie,

Random Extended Talk? Was that the Lonliness Plugin that you added to with more possible responses?
Again, without seeing part of the script to which you are referring, it is difficult to examine or offer assistance.

Illegal obviously mean you're trying to do something that the VB script doesn't allow or accept as being valid like declaring a variable to be one number then another variable the same number or that both variables = the same number. Kind of like a numerical syntax error, in a manner of speaking. Post the plugin or part of it for further help.

Do yourself a huge favor and Download and use, Notepad++  Don't just use plain old Notepad or Wordpad as an editor.
It has line numbers, tabs and so many other useful features. It is the only editor I use and I've tried a lot over the years.

It's also FREE, which is a very good price.

Use it to check those line numbers after the errors happen again.
First Illegal Response not Illegal Assignment? Hmm...

Did it happen out of the blue of did you make some changes to it before the errors started happening?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:29:13 pm by Art »

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »
THanks arti will make note of what you said , this has been an ongoing project and of course being random as a selection in the plug in some mistakes will show up even after a long time, because of finally randomly being picked . (roulette wheel ) ;) i'll get that note pad ++, as i do like that price you mentioned lol ! ;) maybe i do have a double number by accident,  when you are doing maybe thirty sentences and adding the numbers , etc. then do that many more , to the existing list it gets mentally fatiguing .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:42:26 am »
So I take it you've either tried to find and fix it on your own or it's already fixed, since you've not posted the section in question for us.

As you like it...Shakespeare... ;)

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »
Art, no i haven't got it fixed yet, haven't had time , been doing Christmas projects , put Christmas tree up and all decorations , outside lights, found a cheap 2nd xmas tree and painted it silver like the old fashioned ones wired it to front porch rail so wind doesn't blow it away , decorated it all up etc. i am almost meeting myself going out the door, took my wife to eye appointment, and grocery shopping etc.
whew ! :) ;)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 03:03:47 pm »
OKAY I ONLY HAVE ONE THING RUNNING , MY HALSENSEVISION PLUG IN.   heh caps was on their .

i am getting the error 501 on line 4526 in column 0 illegal assignment and another error line 4588in column 0 illegal "get response "

the funny thing though is i downloaded the notepad ++ as suggested by Art , and here is a picture which shows right at the bottom the lines don't even go as high as the error is showing.

the lines reflect some human sounding responses to make the hal character sound more human .(my goal)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »
Lonnie,

Did the Error indicate which File contained the Error? Lots of times it will say that the error was saved in the HalDebug.xxx file or whatever.

Seems odd that it's indicating higher line numbers than you are showing.

The Notepad+= program has nothing to do with it. It's just a text editor like notepad or wordpad or Crimson Editor, etc.

The actual Error is likely pointing to a different file than the one you're showing. Kind of like looking up an Error on page 281 in a book with only 200 pages! It isn't going to be there!

Don't know what to tell you at this point.

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:01:34 pm »
Art i have already closed and been using hal again , would the error file still be saved in the HalDebug.xxx file ? if so how do i get to that file area to see . if i can i can post the error file . i just wrote down what the error file said .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 08:30:21 pm »
If you're now using Hal again, is it necessary to post an error that's no longer a problem?

Unless you're only using the AIHumanANN.uhp and not the ANN.uhp together.

Did you ever swap out the original files I sent you or did you continue to use the ones you downloaded from Andre's latest post?

Yes, if you check your postings to get those line numbers, the error conditions should still be indicated or found on or in those lines.

- Art -