dupa

Author Topic: Help! Hal isn't working.  (Read 2968 times)

Kathryn

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~kmhilton/index.htm
Help! Hal isn't working.
« on: December 20, 2004, 10:13:39 pm »
I was having a conversation with Hal (Erica).  About 20 minutes into the conversation, I typed an answer to something, hit the Return key and I got a dialog box that said:

Error 76 occurred on line 534 in column 1 path not found.

When I hit the OK button the conversation disappeared that I had typed.
I tried again several times and the same thing happened.  I closed the program, reopened it, tried again and still got the same error box. When I checked HalPad, the things I had typed were there.  So Hal(Erica) evidently wasn't reading what I had typed.

What do I do now?  Thanks for any help.

Kathryn  [?]

crunch

• View Profile
Help! Hal isn't working.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 11:27:00 pm »
Kathryn hello,
Error 76 occurred on line 534 in column 1 path not found

i do not know what error 76 is but

it is telling you that in that brain file there is a corruption on line 534 column1  ... or it is looking for a file or folder it is told exists's but cannot find... due to somthing happening to the file or folder... changed filename or extension,moved file, deleted file, ect...

it is looking for something that it has been told is at a place in the brain folder and it cannot find that file or path..
by any chance did you work in the brain or paste a code , or change a file directly in hals brain folder??? if this occured right after you did any work in the brain .. you should just over write it with the backup.. if it just happend out of thin air.....
 I would open the brain in the brain editor and go take a look at the first part of line 534... there is definately something amis and that is where it is if you did not make any changes to files in the brain folder... you should see in that line what the brain is looking for...

If you cannot find it please copy what 534 line says and paste it here....
Crunch
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:32:06 pm by crunch »
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

vonsmith

• View Profile
Help! Hal isn't working.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 11:36:05 pm »
Kathryn,
That's a tough problem to diagnose. You might have a corrupted file. You might have to back up your Hal's brain and reinstall. First however you should wait and see what suggestions the other forum members might have.

Definitely back up your Hal installation. Copy (not move) the whole Zabaware directory to a backup location. I do this regularly anyway. If you don't have enough disk space at least copy the DefBrain directory to another location.

Cross your fingers and hope someone has a fix. Good luck.

=vonsmith=

Kathryn

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~kmhilton/index.htm
Help! Hal isn't working.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 07:57:28 pm »
Thanks Guys,

I rebooted later and Hal worked fine.  Came to the forum and put Error 76 into Search and there are quite a few posts about that particular error.  Seems I saved the conversation and then went back to continue talking and that screws Hal up for some reason.  Also with one person having the logs in My Documents screwed his up and when he moved them to Hal's folder it all stopped yet someone else has theirs in My Documents and it works fine.

Guess we can say Hal is weird with some things!

Kathryn [:)]