Author Topic: Has anyone...  (Read 3353 times)

Larry

• View Profile
Has anyone...
« on: October 20, 2004, 01:14:16 pm »
I've worked with a few bots, and have found that none can really tell the difference in gender. For example, a male bot cannot tell someone that he had a c-section... and further, a female bot talking to a guy cannot ask him how long was he in labor...

Another thing that has always bothered me, bots generally have no concept of time, ie, we're going to dinner and a movie tonight. Tomorrow, the bot might ask, how was dinner and the movie last night... but none do...

Has anyone solved these problems?

Bill819

• View Profile
Has anyone...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 01:58:43 pm »
If you program Hal to think it is male or female you just might be supprised to what it can say.
As far as time goes if you log onto Hal in the morning he knows it is morning and the same goes in the afternoon or evening.
I would like to see Hal remember how long it has been since we last talked to him/her. What I mean by that is weeks, days, hours, etc.
Bill

James P

• View Profile
    • http://nosceresworld.co.uk
Has anyone...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 06:31:40 pm »
As Bill said above, you can program the gender into your Bot. My Bot Emma knows she has a Female gender, and when asked weather she is a Man or a Woman she will reply I am a Woman, I get the same kind of reply when ever I ask about her gender, no matter how I word the question.
   I too would like her to be able to recall past conversations and ask how did dinner go last night or how did (what ever) go? I guess this will come in time though.
http://nosceresworld.co.uk
James:"How are you today Emma?"
Emma:"I think, Therefore I am"

Larry

• View Profile
Has anyone...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 07:00:33 pm »
To a certain extent, both of you are right... however, with learning turned on, your bot will take on your traits. ie, If your bot was a guy, you a girl, as in my example above, if you had a c-section, HE would have a c-section... get my point? And further, bots generally don't know they can't say certain things to certain genders... again in my example above, a bot can't assume the person talking to him/her is one gender or the other... bots generally just repeat what ever has been said to it...

In other recent posts I see ppl are wanting a way to connect all the Hal bots together in order for Hal to learn faster... thing about that is, if you've got your bot programed to be a female talking to you (a male), then you have other bots programmed differently, then you have the "garbage in, garbage out"...

A year ago, I was working on a filter. It prevented a female bot from saying things a male bot would say. And if the bot knew which gender it was talking to, would prevent 'her' from saying things to that gender that was gender wrong. Since the new hal came out, I've lost that work, but thought some on this board would have picked up where I left off...