Author Topic: Is Hal intelligent?  (Read 2635 times)

Larry

• View Profile
Is Hal intelligent?
« on: February 21, 2003, 06:12:27 am »
Is Hal intelligent? What I mean by that is, can he do association? For example, follow this conversation:

Larry: Bob has a pickup. His pickup is two tone. Bob's pickup is black and silver. Who's pickup is 2 tone?
Hal: Is it the early bird that gets the worm? Is that germane to this conversation? Purple, silver, and black are all pretty. Who's pickup is 2 tone? I wish I knew Who Larry.

Larry: Bob's pickup is 2 tone. Who's pickup is 2 tone?
Hal: Dylan was to a great extent a product of the sixties. I am accepting that who's pickup is 2 tone.

Larry: Bob has a tool box in the back of his pickup. What kind of car does Bob drive?
Hal: Who might you be thinking of? What kind of photographs stand on your dresser?

Larry: Bob drives a pickup. A pickup is a truck. Does Bob drive a truck?
Hal: Do you like a warm companion? Most pickup truck owners live in cities. To be a big person, drive a big truck.

Larry: Bob drives a pickup.
Hal: Has anyone invented an electric tuba yet?

Larry: A pickup is a truck.
Hal: Most pickup truck owners live in cities.

Larry: Does Bob drive a truck?
Hal: To be a big person, drive a big truck.

Larry: Bob has a tool box in the back of his pickup.
Hal: Let me think; Certainly; what do you think Larry?

Larry: What kind of car does Bob drive?
Hal: What kind of car does Bob drive? There's opinion that there's more than meets the eye. What kind of a car alarm is one that gets universally ignored?

Larry: What color is Bob pickup?
Hal: What color is Bob pickup? I apologize that I don't know What Larry.

Larry: Bob pickup is 2 tone in color. Bob pickup is black and silver in color.
Hal: Bob has a tool box in the back of his pickup. Purple, silver, and black are all pretty.

Larry: Who has a pickup?
Hal: Who has a pickup? Why do you want to know?

Larry: A pickup is a truck.
Hal: Most pickup truck owners live in cities.

Larry: Does Bob have a toolbox?
Hal: Should I have you fill out an application?

So is Hal intelligent? And can I put multiple statements/questions in one input to Hal?

WholyChao

• View Profile
Is Hal intelligent?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 12:41:30 pm »
Do you have any reason why you need Hal to understand the things that you're telling him.  If you're just using it as a test then it's going to be difficult to get a response out of him.

The more you treat hal like a person that you would be conversing with the better your response will be.  Hal picks apart your input sentences into parts of speech and saves them for future conversation.  There is a store of standard responses that he can used based on keyword inputs and a fairly large vocabulary of parts of speech which he can use to create new thoughts.

Hal doesn't learn the way that you're teaching him.  When he says something completely off base - like the early bird statement right off the bat, it's because you're confusing him and he's trying to change the subject.  As you progress he begins to pick up ideas - however he still used keyword matching to ideas that do not include what you're telling him.

If you want to understand how Hal thinks and how you can teach him more successfully you should use the Brain Editor.  Start off with "open brain project" and select the default brain (I don't suggest making changes in the default brain - if you screw things up you’ll have to re-download the main program.) The program will take a few minutes to open up the Visual Basic Script.  Go to the pull down menu “tools” and look through the folders.  That should give you a better idea of how the program works.

Hope this helps

WholyChao

Larry

• View Profile
Is Hal intelligent?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 01:00:23 pm »
Thanks, and I found many posts saying basiclly the same thing. Now I feel like idiot for not reading the instructions. So, moving on...