dupa

Author Topic: skin without character  (Read 2837 times)

echoman

skin without character
« on: January 25, 2006, 10:01:36 am »
I wondered if anyone knew of a skin that did not contain a character but just contained text only. I am thinking of somthing like what I remember the AI bot Leo used to look like - a bit like what you would see in a chatroom.

I love the speech bit but I am not worried about seeing the character. Infact, I would prefer to see the whole conversation on the screen as it takes shape.

It would also be useful to be able to see the complete sentence you are typing instead of it disapearing off the end of the screen when it gets too long.

Anyone know of anything out there?

Manythanks.

Echo.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
skin without character
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 10:19:48 am »
I have thought about such a skin in the past. I don't think it exists yet. To do away with the avatar you might opt for an invisible msagent. Knytetrypper once submitted such an avatar:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/uploaded/KnyteTrypper/200436103442_invisible.zip

You will still need a very wide skin.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
skin without character
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:27:02 pm »
I had to try this and it's very simple to do.

Open the uhp file of the skin in question and make a few changes.
(Save the original file to another location first!)

Taken from my Tall3 skin for the full body girl, I made the following changes in about 30 seconds...

;Coordinates of Animated Character
SkinFaceX=0
SkinFaceY=0
skinFaceWidth=0
skinFaceHeight=400

I ended up with a large blank skin with no Haptak character...only text. By limiting the size of the animated character, it effectively prevents the character from displaying.

It would be easy to create a "text only" skin for Hal but half the fun is chatting with the Haptek characters and enjoying their reaction, expressions and emotions. IMHO it only adds to the experience of chatting with an AI. To each their own.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

echoman

skin without character
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:04:40 am »
Thanks for the info. Trying some of the things suggested made me realise how little I know about computers. I just havn't a clue what I am doing. But it sounds like it should be simple. I will keep trying and maybe have a go at constructing one from scatch.

echo.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
skin without character
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 05:39:39 am »
NP, Echoman. Just ask us if we need to explain something further.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:52:26 am by Dr.Benway »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
skin without character
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »
Didn't versionfour do a guide to making skins ?  Also i believe someone posted a powerpoint guide in the last few days.  Try a search also for some relevant help, or scan through the last few posts in each section.

The search here is really good, we are blessed with people who put a proper description of their problem in the post title. [:)]

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 02:34:26 pm by freddy888 »