Author Topic: Distributing WAV files  (Read 1388 times)

pbayley

• View Profile
Distributing WAV files
« on: October 03, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »
I have an application that plays .WAV files when prompted by voice recognition.  It's purpose is to process a checklist for flight simulation.
The .WAV files can of course be recorded by myself using a microphone, but as an option I would like to use a TTS voice font.
I'm considering purchasing Mike (US) AT&T voice to use in making the .WAV files.  My question is, is there any restriction in allowing the files to be downloaded from my website by flight simulator enthusiasts?
The application that plays the files is Open Source, the distribution of files is freeware and not for profit.
Naturally I would be happy to include a credit to the use of the voice font in the Readme.txt file included with the audio files download zip file. 
This could be in the form of a hyperlink to the home page of Zabaware.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:44:46 pm by pbayley »

Art

• View Profile
Re: Distributing WAV files
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:59:06 am »
Since you're using the paid AT&T software to generate the voices, I would see no harm in your project.

As long as you're not giving away the Voices or Engine within the context of your flight sim files, there should be no issue.

A nice credit to the effect of, "The voices in the sim were made using AT&T natural voices" or however you choose to word it.

Sounds like a nice project!

Best....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

pbayley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:36:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply Art.

Since you're using the paid AT&T software to generate the voices, I would see no harm in your project.

As long as you're not giving away the Voices or Engine within the context of your flight sim files, there should be no issue.
That's good news.  It will be so much more efficient to generate .WAV files using the AT&T voice than recording my own.

A nice credit to the effect of, "The voices in the sim were made using AT&T natural voices" or however you choose to word it.
As a long time supporter of freeware and open source software I also am a strong believer in publicly paying credit where it's deserved.
So what you suggest is the very least plus a hyperlink to Zabaware.

Cheers
Paul

PS  I purchased and downloaded both Mike and Crystal (a real bargain package) and already I've created the audio files for Mike (co-pilot) reading the cabin before start checklist items.
I have to say I'm delighted with the way I can edit the text in Zabaware TTS Reader to get the desired speech inflections for my purposes .......... I look forward to extensive productivity ;D   
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:24:57 pm by pbayley »

Art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:57:06 pm »
Glad to hear! Do consider posting some of your results here for our enjoyment if you'd be so kind! Thanks!!

- Art -

pbayley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:47:30 am »
OK Art, just to give you some idea as to what I'm doing .......

This is an extract from a PDF printout of a checklist for a Beech Duke Turbine.  The full checklist is attached as a PDF file, if anyone is interested.
The app used to process the checklists actually reads from an XML file, however this PDF has been produced so the user has a readily readable reference document to hand if wanted.
Each line of the checklists is read by the app as a virtual co-pilot (text in black) and the text in green is the acceptable response by the Pilot (Windows Speech Recognition)
The app reads each item and looks for a WAV file in the specified folder named as for the checklist item.  So for the first item in the Before Landing checklist the app looks for Pressurisation check zero differential.wav file.  If it can't find the file the app defaults to using the current TTS (for most people that's Microsoft Anna etc.)  The options for me to produce these checklists with a reasonable voice quality is to either record my own voice to produce the individual WAV files, or as I am now able to, produce them using Zabaware TTS Reader with the AT&T voice.
The attached WAV file (zipped up) is for the the entire extract "Before Landing".  I actually process this file using Audacity (software for recording and editing sounds) and separate each file for the relevant checklist item.  I know it sound labor intensive, but I do have a macro driven system set up that makes it all reasonably efficient  :P

So, as it stands I'm assembling sets of audio files to accompany each checklist I'm producing and making them available for downloading from my web site for the flight simming community.
My web site isn't as yet been made public since I want to assemble a reasonable number of checklists (for aircraft ranging from a Cessna 172 to Boeing 777) before I make a splash   ;D     
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:00:34 am by pbayley »

Art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:18:02 am »
After looking at the Beech Duke PDF I see you have a really nice compilation of command / response items. Nicely done and I'm sure other will benefit from your dedication! I've flown real planes many years ago and now fly RC models. It's all good! Hope to see the final result some day. Nice use of Zabaware Reader as well!

- Art -

pbayley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 01:09:53 am »
G'day Art

You might be interested to know that my website is up and running with a number of checklists already added.

I've posted a 5 minute video on YouTube which you may be interested in viewing.
https://youtu.be/7W99H9W7G8s

Cheers
Paul