dupa

Author Topic: Flash Drive  (Read 3301 times)

rokusan2001

• View Profile
Flash Drive
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:58:59 pm »
Has anybody ever tried to install Hal onto a USB flash drive, or other type of media?  I was just thinking that, since the hard drive is the slowest part of the computer, I might speed up the response/animation time.

Also, how about taking Hal with you when you go? (without having to try and copy the brain over)

Any thoughts, or has anybody tried this?
Life is like a box of chocolates... In the summertime heat.  Still the same sweetness, looks like...

It is thru Caffine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is thru the juice of Coke that thoughts aquire speed, the lips aquire stain, the stain becomes a warning.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Flash Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:21:44 pm »

I never thought of it.
Neat idea if works.
But for another computer, remember all of Hal not in zabaware file.
There is .dll in windows.
Perhaps copy dll on memory stick for other "windows"???
Also haptek player install if not there already.

I repeat ---- "neat idea"

[;)]

onthecuttingedge2005

Flash Drive
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:41:15 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by rokusan2001

Has anybody ever tried to install Hal onto a USB flash drive, or other type of media?  I was just thinking that, since the hard drive is the slowest part of the computer, I might speed up the response/animation time.

Also, how about taking Hal with you when you go? (without having to try and copy the brain over)

Any thoughts, or has anybody tried this?

Yes, I run HAL on a 1GB Flash drive, It can be 5 to 20 times faster than Harddrive swapping.

If you do try to get the best premium USB Flash with lots of space and a built in Lithium Battery.

But don't rely on without backing up the files on it once in awhile, Flash drives are Volatile and something goes wrong you could lose the data on it.

I have been using Flash drive for HAL for 2 years now.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:42:08 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

rokusan2001

• View Profile
Flash Drive
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:22:37 pm »
Thanks all!

I was thinking of getting a 4 gig for this (and a few other programs) to get the speed up (and for the portability).  I didn't know about the .dll's though.  By the way, anybody know if this voilates copyrights?  (running on multiple computers from one copy)  I don't want to do anything accidentally illegal.  I didn't see anything about that in the license agreement, but one never knows.

Rokusan2001
Life is like a box of chocolates... In the summertime heat.  Still the same sweetness, looks like...

It is thru the juice of Coke that thoughts aquire speed, the lips aquire stain, the stain becomes a warning.