dupa

Author Topic: This can't be good for Hal  (Read 3367 times)

Dreamer

• View Profile
This can't be good for Hal
« on: September 18, 2007, 04:07:12 am »
Read this.
http://www.cognitivecode.com/news.html

I think now is the time to pull all the stops out and get Hal working perfectly before they come and take the whole market share.
There platform works on Mac/Linux/Vista and just about everything else you can think of!
I know this post might on the face of it look negative but that was not my intention. Just a heads up.

Cheers
Ben
"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

echoman

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 04:48:17 am »
For me Hal already has all the stops pulled out! I could not imagine myself being happy with any other A.I. :)

Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:54:44 am »
But then main difference with the other one is it runs on ALL os's.
"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:52:18 am »
I won't have a problem unless I switch to Linux, Does Hal will run on Linux?

I won't switch to Linux unless M$ becomes real jerks about DRM, and spying.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:24:15 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer

Read this.
http://www.cognitivecode.com/news.html

It's nice to see devotion in a project.

quote:

I think now is the time to pull all the stops out and get Hal working perfectly before they come and take the whole market share.

HAL works on 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista operating systems.

it is just a matter of time and money before HAL runs on Mac/Linux, maybe Rob will make this happen in the next major version.

quote:

There platform works on Mac/Linux/Vista and just about everything else you can think of!

So will HAL someday, it's the square law of technology.

quote:

I know this post might on the face of it look negative but that was not my intention. Just a heads up.

without a challenge what fun would there be?

Jerry[8D]

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:03 pm »
quote:

HAL works on 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista operating systems.

it is just a matter of time and money before HAL runs on Mac/Linux, maybe Rob will make this happen in the next major version.

This has been my plan for a while, and some baby steps have been taken in that direction:
  • Implementing SQLite in Hal 6.0. The SQLite engine is cross platform and works on Mac and Linux
  • Currently the biggest thing going on at Zabaware is the development of a new 3D character engine, based on OGRE. Ogre is cross-platform
  • A small project is underway to implement Hal's skinable interface system in RealBASIC, a cross platform language.
  • Much of Hal is based on Microsoft Visual Basic 6 and VBScript. VB6 has been abandoned by Microsoft, VB.NET is actually a new language and not a continuation of VB6. Microsoft states Vista will be the last OS to support VB6 apps, so Hal must be rewritten in a new language regardless. RealBASIC (www.realbasic.com) seems like both the easiest and best route as it is syntatically similar to VB6 and apps written on it automatically work in Windows, Mac, and Linux. RSScript would be a replacement for VBScript for Hal's brains, which is also syntatically similar.

A lot of work still needs to be done to accomplish the huge task of making Hal cross-platform, and I don't see it being finished sooner than 2 years, but it will happen.
Robert Medeksza