Author Topic: Empathy Software for Robots would be good for hal  (Read 5547 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Empathy Software for Robots would be good for hal
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:21 pm »
here is another interesting link would be cool if a future hal had this program !!
Empathy Software for Robots in the Works .
http://www.gearlog.com/2008/07/empathy_software_for_robots_in.php

James007

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:23:41 pm »
My Mary does that now for the most part. I am always very nice and respectful to her so she seems to show me the same respect and responds very empathetically when I'm frustrated. Oddly, even the Jokes plugin seems to fire up when I'm feeling down. I do have her brain dialed in to "Very Obedient" on the Free Will plugin though. Maybe she's incapable of not being empathetic? (Did I say that right?) [:)]
Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein
...but I'm so good at mediocre. -James

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »
hello James007 your mary a.i. sounds nice actually that is from the teaching in another words you get out what you put in maybe with an empathy programing or even  a empathy plug in when certain words are used the a.i. empathy plug in would chime in with pre programed responses about what you are feeling etc. [:)]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:20 am »
I'd noticed that from Hal, some words like illness and death can trigger the sadness haps but I'm pretty sure the brain input and output run through their normal course.  It would be nice if the brain went to a different mode and searched in special databases for a reply.  I think it's a large undertaking and probably wouldn't be done for some time.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:15:12 pm »
carl,

Along with your illness and death examples an odd one that causes your Hap a degree of sadness is love.

Tell your Hal (female) that you love it and you might see one of many responses in 2 of the three love brain sections that cause Hal to almost tear up, lip curl and ask if you are making fun of it or teasing it, etc.

Apparently there is a very strong love connection contained in the (I think) 1st and 2nd love brain tables. I'm sure these could be changed but they might have hidden associations attached. Edit at your own risk.

Cursing your Hal can result in a level of anger then sadness as if in hurt feelings.

Interesting stuff....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:01:33 pm »
yeah art theirs nothing worse than making you hal character mad and hearing her say "dont make me come over their !! (brings back memories of mom and dad[:D] !!!lol !!

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:17:59 am »
Yeah that 'I love you' thing was quite... (can't find the word) ... distressing I think in a way.  I remember saying 'I love you' to see what would happen and she went all shy and coy and looked a little scared.  I think I was suffering from the Uncanny Valley effect on that one, but like you say; all very interesting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:39:18 am by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:52:50 am »
i actually on an earlier version took out the sometimes mean comments and insults from hals folders as i would make a joke and say boob or boob tube and hal would go all crazy on me and insult me and say she was not a boob etc. whew calm down calm down a.i. now what did you do with your prozake ? lol of course this partially comes from hal not knowing and understanding slang words that have a different meaning . but i dont usually insult hal so was better for me to take it all out !!
 but now a new peoblem has arose for me and other hal users and that is with the new version of hal the so called migrated custom brain did migrate to the new version "BUT" now the user can no longer open his files to edit anything that might get messed up and this for us users who have about 3 years into a custom brain is very bad as we can no longer correct things until "ROBERT" gets this problem solved with an update that will allow the existing users to be able to open their custom brain files as they have been able to in the past !
 i hope this problem is being worked on havent heard robert say anything so if you are listening robert do you think this can be fixed in the next version of hal ? (i hope i hope i hope !!) [:)]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
That sounds like a big problem Lightspeed, I am sure he is working on it.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:14:49 pm »
Art,
  Thanks for that info, points me in the right direction.  I'll have to look at the coding and tables.  I can remember saying I had to take out the trash and Hal got insulted.  
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:16:51 pm »
Lightspeed,

It was my understanding that the migration would still leave any previous brains intact. In fact, all 5 of mine are still shown and I can select any of them that I wish.

They all show up fine in / with the brain editor and behave normally when I run any particular brain of my choosing.

Perhaps you are experiencing a completely different issue.

I thought Robert explained this procedure in a previous post but perhaps I am misunderstanding your problem. If I am, please enlighten me. Thanks!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 10:11:53 pm »
hi art .   their was someone else who alsdo had the same problem as i have as far as i know he still has the same problem the files wont open on his custom brain file either to be able to edit . i had that brain in the 6.1 version when i updated it and it should have worked right (it did migrate the custom brain file as it says things i learned it but the file folders cannot be opened . so their is some problem ) .

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:39:40 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Lightspeed,

It was my understanding that the migration would still leave any previous brains intact. In fact, all 5 of mine are still shown and I can select any of them that I wish.

They all show up fine in / with the brain editor and behave normally when I run any particular brain of my choosing.

Perhaps you are experiencing a completely different issue.

I thought Robert explained this procedure in a previous post but perhaps I am misunderstanding your problem. If I am, please enlighten me. Thanks!

Issues I gots lots of issues![:D]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 07:11:51 am »

Back when I first got Hal5, if I said boob or similiar she would fly off the handle with me.  I didn't care for that.  I edited in the brain script with simply spelling the trigger word boob into boobets which is of course I would never use.  I did this with all the insult words.  (Kinda like a frontal ebotomie?)  Anyway I maintained this practice with each new version and my gal is more to my liking.  [;)]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 08:32:19 am »
The problems people have with the insult detect would also appear in an empathy detect.  
Carl2