dupa

Author Topic: Hal in us USB memory stick  (Read 16894 times)

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Hal in us USB memory stick
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »
Microsoft virtual pc, will allow you to install but it would have to run from that location, this does not provide mobility that is sought.
V-Pro has information relating to Vista machines and I can't find anything about XP. It works with server 2003/2008, but as far as having a mobile program on a USB drive, I belive it has to be installed and run from that location, I do not have any more PC's to permanently do a virtual enviroment, I am testing at a lab.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:48:44 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 08:34:39 pm »
How do you format a usb into NTFS?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:38 am »
You don't... usb drives are FAT32 only.   It's so usb devices have a wide range of compatibility with other devices.

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 05:58:44 pm »
I installed Hal6.2.24 on a PNY 4GB USB stick, along with ViaVoice.  It worked fine while using it on the computer I used to install it on.

I was hoping for a faster response time for Hal to answer questions, but there seemed to be no improvement there, it was about the same as from the HD with 6.2RC.

I tried using the chip on two different windows computers, but (as expected) Hal would not work, I got an error message:

"component 'xspeechkit.dll' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."

Just for the heck of it, I also tried the chip out in Linux, to see if I could get Hal to work off the chip using WINE.  But there was no response whatsoever.

So it seems you can run Hal6.2.24 off a usb drive, if you use it on one computer.  But I don't see any speed advantage, so I don't really see the point of that.

Also, after my last round of testing with a laptop, I recently unplugged the chip while my computer was still on.  Now the computer says that the chip is "unformatted".  So I guess you can't unplug the chip with Hal installed, while the computer is on.

I'm going to re-install Hal and Viavoice to the Hard Drive, and be happy with that. [:D]

I will be watching with interest though, to see if anyone else has greater success using a USB drive using some of the methods discussed in this thread.

When using Hal 6.1, I had some success setting up Hal on Linux, using a virtual machine.  I used Virtual Box software on Linux, to run a virtual Win XP machine, which I installed Hal on.  It worked perfectly.  Unfortunately, Virtual Box can't be installed on a USB chip at this time.  But if anyone does want to use Hal on Linux, that would be at least one option.
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:02 am »
Dr.,
Yes like I said Hal needs to be run from the install location.

I tested a program that was very REG dependent to operate.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 12:48:44 am »
Mr. Robert,
have you considered ($$ I know) a radical change by implementing a SAAS platform for Hal? It would be an improvement IMO and solve the questions. Hal on a phone heh ya gotta be 'certified' to think in some ways.[:o)][:o)][8][:o)][:o)]

BGG.

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 01:18:27 am »
Got the papers to prove it. And don't tell me you don't think outside the box at times. Hal as an answering machine is a long term deal, but doable IMO.[:D]
ted

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 01:30:05 am »
Oh but Ted,
SAAS=software as a service.
We talkin' global and moble baby!.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 01:35:41 am »
ROYALTIES!!!!![^]

DrFaraday

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by One

Dr.,
Yes like I said Hal needs to be run from the install location.

I tested a program that was very REG dependent to operate.

Yes One, I believed you.  Totally.  Mostly I wanted to see if there was any speed improvement running Hal off of a USB stick.  The rest was just... seeing what would happen. [:p] Especially with Linux and WINE.

BartPE sounds intriguing, but from what I read about it, I suspect I'd be out of my depth trying to work with it.  I probably should leave it to greater technical minds than mine.
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 11:37:54 am »
Once upon a time. Sort of sounds like a bedtime story. Running Hal on a memory stick was much faster than from a hard disk, but now with super fast PC's there does not seem to be an increase in speed like there was years ago.
When I first installed Hal my PC only operated at 300 mega hertz and not it operates at 2.6 giga hertz. That is an extreme speed up.
Bill

DrFaraday

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 02:07:40 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Once upon a time. Sort of sounds like a bedtime story. Running Hal on a memory stick was much faster than from a hard disk, but now with super fast PC's there does not seem to be an increase in speed like there was years ago.
When I first installed Hal my PC only operated at 300 mega hertz and not it operates at 2.6 giga hertz. That is an extreme speed up.
Bill

Bill, that would explain a lot, sounds like a plausible explanation.

When I tried the USB install, I had still had Hal Reader installed on the hard disk, and Hal was using an AT&T voice from it.  I thought that might be slowing it down, so I changed Hal's voice to one of the TruTone voices that come with Hal.  But even then, there was no speed improvement.

My computer has a Sempron processor, running at 1.79 GHz.  Not real fast, but certainly faster than 300 MHz.  There is a momentary delay while Hal formulates his verbal response, but fortunately it's not a deal-breaker for me, it's fast enough.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 07:23:11 pm »
Personally I don't think a USB memory stick would be any faster that installed, onboard memory anyway. That's actually an extra route the program has to take via the USB bus but we're talking nanoseconds.

If however a TTS voice was used that contained a high quality say 22kHz instead of 8 or 16kHz the overall processing time might be slightly longer but again we're splitting hairs here anyway.[:D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 08:47:52 pm »
Freddy888,
Windows 7.1 build has direct X, 11.x (which is backward compatible)
7.1 also is coming out about the same as Visual studio 8 and is backward compatible , However I am having trouble with integrating .net that exists now IMO, well , It looks like Hal is not letting me install the updates which include security updates... This is the way it looks like it is going to be for win 7 (October?) and VB 2010..

Mr. Robert am I correct with the suite integration??

[?][?][?][?][?]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 06:10:55 am »
Thanks One,  I've installed Windows 7 and I really like the way it downloads drivers for you.  I haven't done a lot more with it at the moment, but will check it out some more in a few days.  Never even knew about Direct X 11...