Author Topic: HAL won't work on non-English desktops  (Read 5147 times)

EUDIS1980

• View Profile
HAL won't work on non-English desktops
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:55:31 pm »
Hi all, i just want to say that for those who use a non-english windows version (i'm on Win 7 Greek edition), unfortunaly HAL is completely useless as to the speech recognition capabilities. Windows do not allow me to install or adjust speech recognition engine, because there is no greek engine and the bright minds of Microsoft thought: "there is no reason to use english speech on a greek OS machine".

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HAL won't work on non-English desktops
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:42:06 am »
You seem to be fighting two ghosts here.

Hal was written in English for English use and was never ported, modified nor written for any other language as far as I know.

Microsoft, on the other hand has scores of languages in it's software of various types.

Your Speech Recognition will likely not work well with Microsoft, Google or any other Non-native language than the originating country in which the software was written unless there are provisions to allow selection of a different language. Sometimes these are best guesses.

Welcome and sorry for your dilemma. (for what it's worth. Speech recognition is still nowhere near 100%. Maybe around 93%-95% on good days!

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

EUDIS1980

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »
Hey Art, thanks for answering.

I might have not be clear enough as to what i was trying to say. I have no intention or hope to use Hal in my native language. I can use it and i want to use in English, like anyone else. What i'm saying is that someone cannot use it because their OS is English - which doesn't make any sense because no matter what your language is you should still be able to use programs in English.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:34:03 pm »
EUDIS1980, I think we are having a slight language barrier right now. I read through the thread and Art I feel has answered your question but your reply I feel is something totally different then your original post. Sorry it could be me but I would maybe start from scratch and maybe rephrase your question differently.
You mention that you have a 'Greek version of Windows 7' Can I guess that the default language is still in English or not? To be honest I'm not aware of that version so please check from 'START' button, Right click computer and click properties and that should tell you exactly the Windows version you have. Maybe can suggest something from there. Best I can do unless others really do understand your problem better.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:30 am »
     I would have thought (unless it was to make more money ) that ms would have a option to change the language even if it was in greek .( i don't know on this , it would have to be checked into . ).  :(
     But as ART mentioned that is only part of the problems as Hal it'self was written in english for english .  as far as voice recognition the newbie may try and look up some information on dragon speak natural vr software , they might have greek , i don't know .  but again even if so that would only take care of part of it , if hal can't and doesn't speak greek , your answers back would be in english .

EUDIS1980

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:32 am »
My Windows version is Greek. According to Microsoft, i can only install speech recognition engine of the same language; that is, Greek.
Thus i cannot install English engine, which means i cannot use Hal.

I still wonder why Microsoft did that. I mean although someone can have Spanish or Chinese Windows, they should still be able to install English engine.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:59 am »

EUDIS1980  if (IF) the only problem is the speech recognition part of ms , have you checked into dragon speak naturally?

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:11:17 am »
My Windows version is Greek. According to Microsoft, i can only install speech recognition engine of the same language; that is, Greek.
Thus i cannot install English engine, which means i cannot use Hal.

I still wonder why Microsoft did that. I mean although someone can have Spanish or Chinese Windows, they should still be able to install English engine.

go to start, control panel, windows live language setting, choose the language you want.