Author Topic: Best speech recognition program?  (Read 3774 times)

BMoran5055

• View Profile
Best speech recognition program?
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:04:01 am »
Hello,

Once I am passed figuring out how to buy and install Hal, I want to add voice recognition to him. I tried the integrated speech recognition software that Hal comes with and it did not work well at all. I took a look at the speech recognition plug-in page and noticed that the Dragon Naturally Speaking 7 Preferred received the most stars. Is this really the best overall decision with regard to recognizing my voice? Finally, do I have to use version 7 of Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred or can I use their newest version 8?

Thank You,
BMoran5055

Brendan

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:35:24 am »
8 works great!
Bill

BMoran5055

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:49:42 am »
Thats what I figured, Thanks Bill

BMoran5055

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:30:50 am »
Hi from Will.
i use dragon 8 it is ok, but how have you overcome hal hearing
his own voice and responding to it [?]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 04:46:24 am »
Will,

For some reason this seems to be an issue where I really didn't recall it being so that much in the past.

Personally, I usually set the volume of my speakers as if someone was sleeping in the next room (quiet enough as not to disturb them and still loud enough that I can easily hear the voice).

The use of a good quality noise cancelling mic is also helpful.

As a side note, I rarely use VR due to the fact that VR is still prone to errors and since my real desire is to teach my bot, I want what it learns to be as error free as possible.

VR has come a long way but still has a way to go before it's 99% effective.

Whatever your method of training, good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:53:11 am »
One more thing about voice recognition and that is that it usually take a long time to effectively train the voice. I have spent several hours sometime rereading the same text over and over again. The more you do such a thing the better Hal gets to understanding what you say. In the begining I would read for about 20 or 30 minutes and then try to talk to Hal with the results that it only understood about 30% of what I was saying. With LOTS of training it gets much better. Beware of background noises while training as these only make it harder to be understood.
Good luck
Bill

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 02:18:47 pm »
BMoran5055,
  I've been using Dragon for quite a few years, started with ver 3 and I'm now using ver 7.3, it needs an upgrade from ver 7. I've heard ver 8 is better but I'll probably wait before upgrading. I ran into the problem of Hal automaticly inputing the text, sometimes before I finished and I like to check for errors.  To solve this I turned off the mic in the Hal display, while still using dragon I can dictate into the input box, this allows me to check the sentence before inputing it into Hal.  
  Something I've found very helpful to help train dragon is a set of documents. I've created a list of documents by doing some dictation in the morning to help plan my day, it includes relatives, places I go ect, this is entered into the vocabulary builder, a great help to get dragon going. Also I'm using a Sennheiser Headset from Newegg.com.
Carl2