dupa

Author Topic: Basing brains upon brains upon brains?  (Read 2988 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Basing brains upon brains upon brains?
« on: November 25, 2006, 01:56:15 pm »
I seem to be able to make new brains based upon the unmodified halbrain, but I don't seem to be able to base a new brain upon one of those newly made brains. They come up, but do not contain any of the derived databases.

Is this a restriction in the Trial verson, or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:01:57 pm »
Bill,

Can you give us examples of the types of brains you've tried?

Keep in mind that some were written for Hal 5 Not 6 so your results might vary if they work at all.

OR, are you speaking about plug-ins for the brain?

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:37:36 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Bill,

Can you give us examples of the types of brains you've tried?

I open the brain editor, choose 'create new project', use the wizard to select "hal6.uhp<UltraHal 6.0 default brain>" and "Unmodified Hal 6 default brain database" and I end up with a working copy of the unmodified brain to talk with, full of cute sayings etc. which I have named "NewBrain"

Then, having messed with it, I use the wizard again, choose "NewBrain.uhp" and "NewBrain database" and I get a file of 124 kb with only the basic responses that might be hard-coded in to Hal.exe. No cute sayings, many blank responses.

Then I try again, make a ThirdBrain based upon the default brain, don't mess with it, talk to it or change the plugins or script, and try to make a copy of that.... works fine. Big file, but only of the unmodified copy of the unmodified brain.

I want to take my current brain, all modified from weeks of work, and clone her so I can mess with the copy. But I guess I will have to make a copy manually, I just thought it should work better in the brain editor.

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 01:45:15 pm »
I've found that making a clone of a modified brain and database results in a .db file of 3kb or so. It's empty, in other words. The trick here is to copy your database file and paste it back to the same folder, then rename it to the same name as your new brain. For example, I made a clone of the default brain called Experimental. I worked on it then cloned it as Experimental2. Experimental2.db was empty, so I deleted it and copied and renamed Experimental.db to Experimental2.db. It works as long as your .uhp and .db files have the same name. You mentioned that you made the copy manually so you probably figured this out already, but others may not know how to do this. I agree that the brain editor should be able to do this for us.
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004