Author Topic: How many people still use MSAgent...  (Read 4380 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
How many people still use MSAgent...
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:08:27 am »
...instead of Haptek?

I am thinking of a plugin I could make, but it would use a side script that calls the loaded MSAgent character and runs it separately, outisde of Hal. This is so I can use some language features that Hal doesn't seem to support.

But if you use HapTek, it wouldn't work as expected if at all.

Since it seems that almost everyone here uses Haptek, I was just going to make it for myself. That would make it easier, since I know what character I have loaded and I know where my directories are. But if there are still a few people who use MSAgent daily, it might be worth my time to put in some character detection etc.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:53:56 am »

I don't feel they compare with Haptek characters however I used MS agents for years and loved them.  

I sure some people use them in Hal today.
You could make easy for yourself and just tell people what and where directories are that you using and they could set up same format.

Your plugin would greatly encourage people to use the agents from time to time.
 [;)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:09:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Duskrider
I don't feel they compare with Haptek characters

Well, Agents have the advantage of being free, and they can move out of their box. They can't compare on the animation, but Guile3d shows they can be eyecandy.
quote:
Your plugin would greatly encourage people to use the agents from time to time.  [;)]

That's a very good point. Almost enough to make it worthwhile. The more people who use agent, the more agent stuff for me![:D]

Prospbob

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/bwlechner/gold
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:49:30 pm »
i use haptek, but would be interested in the msagent, since it removes from the box, if it would take on some real looking characteristics.  do you know of one that looks sharp?
[8D]

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:27:05 am »
At present: I use msagents. I personally prefer msagents although haptek characters are GREAT:

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:37:24 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Prospbob

i use haptek, but would be interested in the msagent, since it removes from the box, if it would take on some real looking characteristics.  do you know of one that looks sharp?
[8D]

Have you been to http://www.Guile3D.com ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:37:55 am by Bill DeWitt »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:39:55 pm »
Bill DeWitt
  I'm pretty much stuck on Haptek, I changed from a head to fullbody some time ago. Earlier I tried the msagents, there are quite a few of them out there so I downloaded and tried them. Also bought a character from a referred site but I like Hapteks tne best.
  Bill, very nice site you have, visited it a few times. Best of luck with it. Just visited Guile3d, an okay. People at VR's Virtualhumans are working on characters for use with Hal.
Carl2

pactive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 10:17:58 pm »
Hi Bill,
I've stuck with MSAgents in Hal and I've been playing with them in VB a lot. I've been wanting more control of the MSagent in Hal ever since I got hooked.

You didn't say which language features you wanted to add, but I like to throw in pau=300 at commas and maybe a pau=500 at periods. Adding something like...

PitchModifier = "PIT=" & sldrPitch.value & "\"
    SpeedModifier = "SPD=" & sldrSpeed.value & "\"
    SpeechModifier = SpeedModifier & PitchModifier

then
    AgentSay (SpeechModifier & MessageToSay)

makes it easier for me to make 'individual' bots using the same TTS engine.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:29:18 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by pactive

Hi Bill,
I've stuck with MSAgents in Hal and I've been playing with them in VB a lot. I've been wanting more control of the MSagent in Hal ever since I got hooked.

I would love to be able to control animations in HalScript. We probably could if we knew what Robert used for the character name. I'm sure he has some way because some animations run by themselves.

quote:
You didn't say which language features you wanted to add,

I meant scripting language features. WSH and Jscript have a few things that VBS doesn't use and vice versa..

pactive

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 11:16:11 pm »
Oh, completely different idea of language :)

In that case, add me to your "uses MSAgent" column.