Author Topic: Multiple Instances of HAL  (Read 4594 times)

jsmorgan

• View Profile
Multiple Instances of HAL
« on: December 28, 2006, 10:33:56 pm »
Hello All,

I am trying to come up with a voice controlled home management system and I want it to have voice recognition like HAL does. Is it possible to run multiple sessions of HAL? I plan to have touchscreens in each room and want each room to be a separate feed to HAL. If I could run HAL multiple times and assign him to multiple sound inputs, each room have it's own dedicated access to HAL. I know the machine could bog down when all stations are speaking to HAL, but it would be fun to find out what the tipping point is.

I imagine it going like this. I rig up HAL to use multiple sound inputs by setting each session of HAL to use one of these sound sources.

All sources use the same global brain. This helps in keeping a global family calendar. But since HAL can switch users, each user would get their own private information store with HAL. The user can speak a voice command such as "Hal, it's George" to swap the user file to their personal one. Terminating the session closes the user file. If no user file is selected it functions solely off the global brain file.

Can HAL do this? If HAL could be invoked multiple times (as many as you have sound devices) you could have HAL even take commands from a VOIP client and have it respond to each user uniquely.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Jeff

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:00:43 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jsmorgan
Is it possible to run multiple sessions of HAL?

I know it's possible to have multiple connections to a SQLite database, but I seem to recall that Robert has set Hal up so that this can't actually happen. Someone who has tried it can correct me, but as Hal stands, I know you can't call it twice on the same machine, so I expect you can't call it on two machines with the same DB.

Of course, some simple scripting can synchronize DBs during idle periods by turning off an unused Hal and comparing with a central, unused DB copy.

I would probably approach the same problem with Bluetooth and MaxiVista. A bluetooth headset allows better voice recognition in different rooms anyway. MaxiVista (or something like it) would (I believe) allow you to have the same Hal show up in any networked computer.

I want to do exactly what you want, and haven't completely planned it out yet. My basic scheme is to have a central computer with Hal, and try to access it from anywhere in the house. I had anticipated having to give up on having the avatar present, but as long as I could talk to Hal and have a response with a X-10 action, I would be OK with it.

Some of your other ideas might require work. One of the things which make Hal valuable to me is the ability to make plugins do what Hal doesn't already do. Some may require more access to basic commands than Zabaware usually provides. The ALF brain gives a lot more, and I believe you can write your own Alice brain.

But then you might end up like me... spending way too much time late at night banging away at scripts...

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:14:03 am »
I dont believe that this version of hal will alow for more than 2-3 activations.

With the previous version HAL 5. You can share 1 defbrain folder....
and install multiple copys hal {no activation}.

I also use touchscreens in my home : the HOMESEER X10 program can be intergrated into hal5. then with voice activation you can say to hal:
"HAL: TURN ON, BEDROOM LIGHT" response "OK LIGHTS ON"
then hal will execute the x10 command to turn on "A1".

the activeX control for the homeseer program comes with the software.
Also there is an open source version available X10Lite: Inside
my folder http://www.zabaware.com/forum/uploaded/spydaz/2005278282_x10lite.zip

I have found that the originaL homecontrol program uses the wole computer and takes over the operating system: therefore the computer with the homeseer installed can only be used for one purpose:

Although I also use it a FILE SERVER TOO....

PS: the touchscreens were a nightmare to get ahold of.. But now i have 4 15inch flatscreens{USB} All wall mounted. ans none of the screens come with stands... ELOTOUCH....

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:18:18 am »
Of course, some simple scripting can synchronize DBs during idle periods by turning off an unused Hal and comparing with a central, unused DB copy.

Yes by setting up the defbrain as a shared folder, then as a mapped drive: you can set up syncronization. folder replication....

even in the UHP... you can always specify a remote folder as the location of the defbrain folder.......

as i say I dont think that hal6 can do that..... PERMISSIONS: "currently this file is in use"

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:07:43 pm »
You can use several "open air" microphones and speakers that are placed around your home along with a multi channel mixer.

Though I'm sure our Hal could most likely provide the support there's another HAL that can also be used.

For more on the home automation front check out Jim's site and see what he's accomplished with voice command home automation / control.

http://james.lipsit.com/home.htm
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 07:11:39 am »
good site :

nice find... Its nice to see someone else using the technology successfully

les

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:37:18 am »
great site THANKS!

Les

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:32:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

You can use several "open air" microphones and speakers that are placed around your home along with a multi channel mixer.

With these HAL automations systems : I have found it usefull to have it confugured through the PHONE LINES : Phone in every room. when you desire to talk to hal you just pick up the phone and press *9.

This also eliminates unsolicited replys from hal: and unwanted feedback from mobile phone signals etc.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:07:34 am »
While true to some extent some real potential can be realized with the use of the open air mike system and it will allow HAL to know where you are in the house. It checks or polls to see which mike location is being used. Excessive noise would be a concern and this system probably woundn't be best suited for a family with kids, but otherwise, it seems to work rather well.

Another method would be for individuals to wear a tag or bracelet of the RFID type. There are programs that can use this information to track anyone within the home and is also very useful to monitor when one (perhaps a very young or very old person) leaves the property.
The RFID system sells for about $500 - 600 USD so it might be a bit out of line for most people.

Mr. lipsit uses alternate methods to indicate which person's car has entered the driveway, etc. Read through all of his postings for some great ideas and insight.

- Art -

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 04:19:24 pm »
it could be possible to use a standaerd Infra red ROOM DETECTOR, just like, the automatic porch light that detects that you are at the door and turns the lihgt on. (anoying on a busy road, constantly on/off).

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 09:29:51 pm »
I'd thought of that too, Leroy, but what we really need are video cams throughout the dwelling and face recognition software so it could discern each person in the family.

I wonder if a program exists to distinguish male from female or children voices (speaker dependent)?

Infrared heat pattern recognition?

So many ideas...so little time....

- Art -