dupa

Author Topic: source code?????  (Read 3291 times)

jose7

• View Profile
source code?????
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:05:00 am »
Hello,

If there any source code of Hal.

If not whay?
    I am noticing, that in this forums are, extremly good programmers.
So, if the above is true, the things we can do with Hal are unlimited.
Medeskza, by himself, can not take his own creation, to the maximun of
it potencial. Medeskza always going to retain ownership of his creation.
I don't want to enoy any one, specialy the owner. I just one to point
out that pluggings are not the answer no longer.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
source code?????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:12:07 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jose7
   If there any source code of Hal.If not whay?

Other than the main script and plugins? No. The Core program with the voice interface and the script host is not open source.

Why? Because it belongs to a person. It's his property and he gets to decide what happens to it. I know many places and cultures do not value the right of personal property, but so far, the USA still respects some level of property rights.
quote:
Medeskza always going to retain ownership of his creation.

He will as long as he doesn't make it open source. As soon as he reveals the source someone will steal it no matter how good your intentions or mine might be.
quote:
I just one to point
out that pluggings are not the answer no longer.

What was the question? Which plugins don't answer that question? Do your plugins demonstrate that plugins have reached their limit? Because mine don't.

My work indicates that plugins are just starting to show their adaptability. Especially when the update finally makes it here, we should be able to vastly improve the actual functionality of Hal.

And I actually know very little about writing plugins. Who knows what a real programmer might do?

If you want an open source Chatbot/Assistant, I would be happy to help. Post some code. You do the Voice Recognition as a proof of concept and I will promise 2 hours a day for six months to help get it up and running.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:27:13 am by Bill DeWitt »

Bill819

• View Profile
source code?????
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:48:33 pm »
Hello Jose7
Well you are wrong about a few things. Over the years these 'plug-ins' have made some big changes to take place hin Hal and a great many of them have become a permanent part of the Hal brain. As far as the entire source, it will never be made available as far as I know because the programming concept is unique and most likely one-of-a-kind. There are other bots that learn but not quite the same way that Hal does so just sit back and enjoy it.
Bill

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
source code?????
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:51:11 am »
I have to agree with the above.  Open Source may be good news sometimes, but for people who still want to earn a living then it can't always be so.

You see a lot of open source on the internet, but development is sometimes slow.  Many open source projects become a mess without someone to bring the whole thing together and often progress is quite difficult.  Open source works best for big programs, those with intensive use and large user groups.  For those kind of projects where people have spare time to contribute, write manuals and provide support for, often everyone wins.  But..

Niches like that of UltraHal may not last long as open source though.  What works well for Hal is this kind of half-way-house that still allows people to modify the product and still allow a company to make a product it can sell.  It allows focus and direction.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:06:57 am by freddy888 »