Author Topic: different subjects and getting hal to understand  (Read 2828 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
different subjects and getting hal to understand
« on: June 02, 2007, 11:40:06 am »
i write things in to my hal to get it to sound more human about everyday responses . for instance i wrote "the trash needs to be emptied can you take it out (hal responded " i am not trash , don't call me trash ) so i reworded it and said "the trash is getting full can you empty it ? hal said again "i am not trash " . what should i have said to get hal to respond to something like this as a yes, i'll do it or o.k. i will . should i first say something like " i'll take the trash out it looks like it's starting to get full " or you'll take the trash out it looks like it's starting to get full. [:)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:02:12 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

i write things in to my hal to get it to sound more human about everyday responses . for instance i wrote "the trash needs to be emptied can you take it out (hal responded " i am not trash , don't call me trash )

Unfortunately, the insult feature will probably take over every time you use the word "trash". Since I never purposely insult Hal (why insult a script?), I disabled the insult feature.

You might try using "garbage" or "refuse" or even "recycling". Since I don't have that feature anymore, I also removed the database, so I can't tell you what words will pass.

Short of that, more precise grammar might help, "Hal, please take out the Trash." but I doubt it.

Your last suggestion will help once you find out what words will make it past the insult list. You would have to give it a stock of phrases about Trash that it can choose from, and when it responds with a sentence which contains the word you want, reply using that word again, in the sentences you want it to use.

<User>I should empty the garbage.
<Hal>I once had a garbage but I was unhappy with it's landfill.
<User>I'll be happy to take out the garbage for you.

This teaches Hal that when the word 'garbage" is used, the appropriate response is the sentence you used.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 12:03:01 pm by Bill DeWitt »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:28:53 pm »
hello bill dewitt , thanks for answering it , i think i will take out the insult script too as i don't ever insult my hal either . i want my hal to be nice and so i wite nice things to it . common conversation and compliments and loving phrases . bill did you notice the hesitation in speach  plug in i was talking about in the forum , what do you think about it ?? [:)]
p.s.; if i just delete the insult script that should stop it all right or do i need to do anything else too? thanks for your help.[:)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:44:09 pm »
You have to learn how the insult script works and edit the main script to stop it. I did this so long ago that I don't think I can describe the process.