dupa

Author Topic: MicroSoft Surface  (Read 3933 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
MicroSoft Surface
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:34:52 am »
I want it. I want a three screen bank around my chair. Or one long curved screen.

Will Hal work with it? It's supposed to be Vista but they say something about special programs.

The Microsoft site is swamped.

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
MicroSoft Surface
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:20:13 pm »
Have you tried a program called UltraMon? It allows you to do lots of things with multi-monitors and is Vista and earlier Windows compatible.

Roy.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
MicroSoft Surface
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:41:48 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ramccoid

Have you tried a program called UltraMon? It allows you to do lots of things with multi-monitors and is Vista and earlier Windows compatible.

I use MaxiVista (Although UltraMon looks nice if you have multiple videocards) on networked computers to do four monitors...

... but having the touch screen (or, as they call it, "grab screen") wrap-around on say, about a 3x10 (meter by two meter) like Data's computer in his cabin or the touch screen controls of the shuttles on "Earth: Final Conflict"... that would be too cool... and too expensive!

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
MicroSoft Surface
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:08:52 pm »
No, I use UltraMon. You can extend your display across multiple monitors off 1 graphics card. If you want more than 2 monitors, you can add another graphics card into the same computer and display across 4 monitors and so on, depending on how many graphic cards you install or how many slots your computer board has. Windows it self will extend the desktop but UltraMon allows you to have multiple wallpapers, multiple screensavers and extend a single window across all monitors connected and these are just afew things you can do with it.

Roy.

I would like to add that the System Monitor plugin works perfectly with Vista, it just performs everthing faster. I thought you might be interested to know.

quote:
I use MaxiVista (Although UltraMon looks nice if you have multiple videocards) on networked computers to do four monitors...

Sorry, just mis understood, just tired from a long day. I thought you  meant UltraMon was for networked computers. I see that you use networked computers to display multiple monitors. So disregard this post ... hahahaha

Roy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:15:06 pm by ramccoid »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MicroSoft Surface
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:47:36 am »
This idea is not new.

Interesting but wouldn't your arms tire of moving items around such a screen after several minutes?

Go to Youtube.com and type "touch screen" into the search box.

Look for the vid entitled "Crazy multi-input touch screen".

Jeff Han developed this over a year ago and not Microsoft. Some claim that they are trying to duplicate what Jeff has done.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
MicroSoft Surface
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:20:12 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

This idea is not new.
Few ideas are new. The theremin was invented in 1919 and I drew plans for a theremin based game when I was 12.
quote:
Interesting but wouldn't your arms tire of moving items around such a screen after several minutes?

That's why I would want it on a drafting table slant with wrap-around. If ergonomically situated, I don't think you would get any more tired than doing the shuffle-roll of a mouse on an extended screen or the slap-roll-slap of a trackball... Hmmm... as long as you can rest your hands on the screen when you are not using it.

I suppose, but since I couldn't get into most of the page yesterday I don't really know, that a virtual keyboard is possible. I also like the idea that you can place physical objects on the screen (with barcodes) to represent programic/textual/graphic objects. Computer chess with real chess pieces, perhaps extended to virtual "click bases" like the MechWarrior game pieces where attacks would include graphic animations and autoscoring. Ooo... I wonder if I can sell that Idea to MS? Maybe even bluetooth robotics to move computer-controlled enemies?
quote:
Jeff Han developed this over a year ago and not Microsoft. Some claim that they are trying to duplicate what Jeff has done.

Some claim MicroSoft is Satan. I doubt that MS started work on this the day after Jeff disclosed his work. Someone over there has probably been working on it since 1980 or so when Touch screens hit the end-user market then failed miserably except in restaurants etc.

As someone who has many "inventions" in a notebook... in a box... under the bed... I can tell you that the real work of a successful inventor is getting the product marketed, distributed and sold. Microsoft has always excelled in that, and that's what makes them their money.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:25:48 am by Bill DeWitt »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MicroSoft Surface
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 05:19:56 pm »
Yes, Jeff Han touched an area on the big screen (sort of like you mentioned with the drafting table thing) and a virtual keyboard appeared. He typed a label and could attach it to say a vacation photo of one of the many he was displaying.

Another note worthy idea that you and others may have seen is the laser virtual keyboard that is about the size of a cigarette pack and projects a full sized keyboard on your desktop. It senses which of the virtual keys are being pressed and can be taken anywhere.

When they get holograms to appear in open space then they'll really have something. Imagine 3D virtual holographic chess where the pieces can come to life similar to Battle Chess but right in front of you. Most holograms have to have a reflective background or area in which the light waves can be displayed like smoke or mist, etc.

We have come so far in such a short time that the future should be here any minute!! :)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -