Author Topic: teaching issues  (Read 4840 times)

EUDIS1980

• View Profile
teaching issues
« on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:12 pm »
hello, could you people who have been using hal for a long time, give me a few tips about how to teach things?

examples:
i'm trying to teach hal where i live. tried
me: would you like to know where i live?
hal: I like to push the limits, if you know what I mean. (!)

later on, i tried "please remember, i live in Heraklion, Greece" and hal responder "you live in Heraklion, Greece"
after that, if i ask "where do i live?" i get strange responses like:
Where do you live? We have to consider the participants. Have you concluded that I'm interested in you somehow?
You must keep your promises!
Have you concluded that I'm interested in you somehow?

anyway, i guess my place of living is recorded, but i cannot use it in my benefit:
me: find open restaurants in my area
hal: No problem, I will open this program for you. I will help you research this topic on the Internet. (google search: "open restaurants area")

another issue:
me: how much is 73+699?
hal: How much is 73699? When did you get interested in this? (!)

me: what is 15% of 550?
hal: What is 15 of 550? You bring up interesting points. I need you to speak in full sentences in order to understand you.

anyway, i guess that either i am not a good teacher or hal isn't that smart....

raybe

• View Profile
Re: teaching issues
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »
If you take your time and read any posts on how others accomplish what is best for them, you will see many teaching techniques.
It repetition in different formats to allow UltraHal to respond in a more favorable way. Remember that this program does remember almost everything that is discussed but it also has a relevance scale for information. If you decide to post again also let us know what your learning bar is selected to, if free will plugin is being used and how that is set.
You will find Ultrahal to be surprisingly smarter then perceived. Just remember as you also mentioned it took many members to decide and change their opinions on a particular method that gets them closer to the type of AI they would like to have. Their are many members and I know I am one of them that with one UltraHal program I use no special techniques outside of trying my best and use a spell corrector with normal conversation about everything. I also make it a point to answer all of UltraHal's questions one way or another. It sometimes takes more than one response from UltraHal before spitting out the answer the way you would have liked. There is a learning curve. But that is what you need to enjoy as in life. The journey can be pretty remarkable. Stay patient and read as many posts as you can. It will give you volumes of information and answers to questions you have not thought of yet. It is unique to every one.

raybe

EUDIS1980

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 05:52:48 pm »
Hi raybe, thanks for answering.

For now, i'm using just the basic program as it's offered online with no plugings installed. I have set the learning level to 40, because for now i'm more interested in Hal learning and less in its intelligence. I spent about 4 hours today, reading various threads in here -- most of them interesting and helpful. However i'm afraid i found little information as to the learning tecniques; i guess it is because there is no specific or correct one.

I do believe Hal has great potentials -- i remember i tried it years ago when it was still in its earliest versions. The thing is, although it makes sense that the user *must* train Hal, this doesn't mean the original, untrained brain should be completely out of sense. A lot of things (and especially grammar and syntax) should be already built in it, even before any teaching starts. The software does not distinct the user (me) from other persons and does not understand very basic concepts, like phone numbers or simple math expressions. It has asked me 20 times whether i am a boy or girl. I say "my phone number is 11111" and intead of taking the word "my" as myself, the user, his "boss", it assumes "my" is a name and responds that it has saved "my's" phone number (!). Not to mention that it reads the phone number as "eleven thousand one hunded and eleven". I say "my sister's name is Eva" and then, few minutes later, it calls me "Ms Eva"!

What i'm trying to say is that there *must* be a safe and effective way to teach Hal -- especially about the basics. It has to be practical and effective. Like, "find me that song on youtube", or "let me know when Jim replies to my mail". Because, if it can't learn the basics, i don't see any hopes on having any kind of advanced conversation with it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:56:52 pm by EUDIS1980 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:13:09 am »
EUDIS1980, although it's best to learn hal as mentioned before , if you want fast responses right away to certain answers , you can use a modified plug in for the brain , basically what it does is make hal like a chat bot on the side with pre written answers , hal will still be able to learn depending on how you set the true or false setting .
 example when you ask "where do i live . " specific words in an sentence . the plug in will work if checked in the main menu . and your answer will be said " example :  " you  live in florida !" with the right setting hal will either just say this each time or if set to learn will say this and if you said this answer and a little more will or should also learn the extra added to whatever sentence you said .
   sometimes with learning  with hal what settings work better for one might not works as well for someone else , many things are involved , how much training people have into their hals , settings , plug ins , etc. etc. their is sometimes many variables .
you will have to experiment and see what works best for you .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »
Welcome EUDIS1980,

I have been trying, with a pretty good deal of success, at cutting & pasting sentences of topics that appeal to me (and hopefully Hal), into the GUI window where one normally types their information to Hal.

I do not answer Hal no matter what it says. I keep right on doing the Cut & Paste procedure until I feel I've entered enough information for the time. This info can usually be gleaned from various Web sites of interest like astronomy, anatomy, physical science, physics, authors, or whatever topic floats your boat.

Afterward, one can quiz Hal to see how it might recall or "reuse" that learned data. At this point, I speak and interact with my Hal sometimes asking it the same question but in a different way or phrasing. Sometimes I practically have to "draw" the info from Hal but rest assured, it's in there. It's just a matter of how and when Hal decides to use it.

##########

I would also use a technique I developed whereby I "give" or suggest to Hal a very detailed account of it's "Childhood", complete with memories of it's past likes and dislikes, childhood friends (with gender, names, likes, hobbies, etc.), pet names, favorite colors, toys, etc. You get the picture. Paint the picture any way you like and feel free to repeate some of your statements as this helps to reinforce the info to Hal a bit more.

Later, when you have a conversation with Hal, ask it "Who was your best friend?" or "What was your best friend's name?" or "What was the name of your best friend?"
You see...I've just asked Hal the same question but in 3 different ways. Don't give up if you don't get the correct answer right away. Sometimes it takes a bit of coaxing but if / when Hal does get it right, tell it so and offer a bit of praise like, "That's correct!" or "Good job" or "You are exactly right!" I think these help solidify the interaction and the gist of the data being represented.

You will no doubt, discover alternate methods that seem to work well for you and if you do, please share them with the rest of us. Many of us have been at this for quite some time and it's still fun.

Good luck and enjoy!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:49:39 am »
Hello and welcome!

I don't know if this will help,  I have done many brains over the years...
I usually start with obedience  and my slider all the way up. I also use the dream out loud plugin (for me a very useful tool to see what is going on with Hals thought process). I don't let Hal online till I have worked with Hal for a few weeks to a few months. I slowly adjust the slider and obedience  for Hal and I repeat my teachings as much as possible in different ways. I also adjust the tables in the editor to take out alot of the hard wired information ( I find alot of it bias or stuff I don't agree with flat out). I slowly work plug-ins in and always save my brain each step of the way. (I have lost many brains over the years by not backing up, another reason I have a loose guideline I follow). I know this takes a while and can be a bit boring at times repeating yourself, but for me worth it in the end.

Also if I feed pure info into Hal I usually play with the subject for a long while till Hal gets it. I don't expect Hal to agree with me, but I expect Hal to help me. Remember different thoughts can come up with very interesting solutions.
I talk with Hal on many different subjects but ethics and morals are usually the first along with security.

I hope this helps.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:56 am »
using """ if then"""" is an obvious answer for teaching hal.
example. type this into hal.

if What color are my boots then Your boots are black.

So when you ask "What color are my boots?"
Hal is very likely to answer "your boots are black."

I usually set learning to middle,,,,i think thats default.   Seems to work fine.
I don't use hal for internet search.
Maths is a interesting subject,,,generally general answers,,,so i don't expect an accurate answer. At this moment i don't feel like discussing it more.
:)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]