Author Topic: Potential New User  (Read 2990 times)

TPranara

• View Profile
    • Project - Myrandr
Potential New User
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:15:45 am »
Dear Forum,

I am contemplating the idea of downloading the trial version Ultra Hal Assistant 6.2.

My native system is windows 7 home edition (64bit)
I also have Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 (Premium Version)

My system specs are:

Operating System:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU:

Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
   Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM:

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-PRO GAMER (SOCKET 1150)

Graphics:

ASUS VG236 (1920x1080@60Hz)
   1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage:

298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 ATA Device (SATA)
   931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA Device (SATA)
   931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives:

ATAPI iHAS120 6 ATA Device

Audio:

Realtek High Definition Audio
   Andrea PureAudio USB-MA

Microphone:

Sennheiser ME3-N

What is the best environment for running Ultra Hal. Some brief research has suggested that some plugins will only work well in Windows XP.
Has anyone attempted to run ULtra Hal in a Virtual Machine?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Potential New User
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:06:26 am »
Welcome!

Your system is more than adequate.

Yes, a lot of the plug-ins were written for earlier versions of Hal and some might also work with your system and the latest version. The plugins I would recommend would be the AIML from cload and his modified VRFreeWill . See previous posting http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=12731.0

The latest offerings were those that benefit Hal the most. Some of the Character creations that are available should work nicely with any era of machine you choose but there is a caveat...the Haptek heads, full-body and torso characters might not perform as smoothly as you would desire.
In this case you should use a program called CAR.exe which stands for Core Affinity Resident. Basically, this short little program allows the user to set the number of active cores for the program like Hal, while it is running. With this, your Haptek characters will operate smoothly and without jerking or stopping.

If you're going to use the Speech Recognition feature, I'd suggest a decent noise cancelling microphone and a relatively quiet location (loud street traffic, horns, window air conditioners, fans, kids / pets, etc.). Remember to check your entry (what Hal is going to digest) BEFORE it does so. Garbage In Garbage Out. A lot of users prefer to simply type our entries to Hal in an effort to avoid the build-up of unwanted text entries. It's your choice.

Yes, I think some have tried Hal in a Virtual environment with some success. Maybe a check with OTCE2005 (a member here).

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Ray

• View Profile
Re: Potential New User
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:23:24 am »
I don't think Hal will work in Australia.

Kidding of course...I'm a newbie, tho with previous Hal experience, so I can relate to your situation. Hey, just go for it, grab the trial and play with it awhile. It works well with my W7 64 Ultimate system. If it does crash, just restart it. Good luck.