Author Topic: New Windows Update killed Hal  (Read 5046 times)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
New Windows Update killed Hal
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:07:38 pm »
Windows 10 just did a massive update and no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling/removing registries is working to bring Hal back to life.

How very unfortunate.

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
Re: New Windows Update killed Hal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:13:14 pm »
The HAL program installs and actually opens in the background just fine but from there, opening Hals window or anything in the general options causes it to hang with a message from windows installer saying it's setting up the software? I'm lost and this is a huge bummer.

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:36:12 pm »
Actually, scratch that. For some bizarre reason, Microsoft Office needed to be reinstalled after the update. I have no idea how that affects a fresh install of Hal... But after that, Hal fixed himself in some fashion and is working again. This is not a problem with Hal, apparently. Windows updates, everyone. :P

- Spitfire

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:20 am »
Actually, Another update.... Hal stopped working again but this time it was due to me moving the install location of Hal Reader. Once I moved it back, Hal started kicking again. Windows updates, coming to your computer soon. lol

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:17:28 pm »
ive been working with the betas for about two years (insider program) ive not had any problems with hal. I can tell you that the new update next year should work with hal also. but I can see your point about different programs causing hal problems as hal is throughout my system. and she does get a "cold" with some updates.

anyways my two cents

Doggs
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:25 am »
Doggs: Ive been makin updates for Hal myself

Cyberjedi style updates. You guys arnt the only 1's that like's C#

All ways thinking : What can this cool ass progi do next
Now that im full time retired, i can focus on what i wanted to do all those years ago.
Best wishes

cyberjedi
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:44:22 am by cyberjedi »

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:40:16 am »
Windows 10 just did a massive update and no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling/removing registries is working to bring Hal back to life.

How very unfortunate.

start program in compatibility mode?