Author Topic: people putty faces  (Read 15643 times)

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
people putty faces
« on: February 03, 2005, 05:47:02 am »
I have made some faces in people putty and saved them as a htr.
Tried to get them running in hal, but they do not work.
 I can get the full body from the haptek guide to work and tried the same way with my faces but no go.
If someone can help it would be B>>>>Y GREAT.

Thanks  Neil.

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
people putty faces
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 10:50:11 am »
Double click on your faces, first, and be sure they display correctly in the Haptek player. If so, it's just a matter of getting your command right. Also, free or paid Hal? In free Hal, you have to rename Zaba or Hal .htrs, and substitute the .htr you want to use (naming it Hal or Zaba).

NIGE

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 03:04:44 am »
Knyte Trypper_Thanks for your reply
I can run my faces in the player,   I have paid version.
I have tried putting my htr in hal through copy paste from win explorer, re run hal but in char select it does not show.
I have tried rename Halbak and rename mine to hal still no show.
At the moment i am just going around in circles.
I am wondering if even though i can see my faces in haptek player
hal does not recognise them for some reason.
Again thanks

Neil[V]

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
people putty faces
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 07:29:12 am »
My understanding of the technical stuff is rather limited, so someone else may have a better suggestion, but my next one would be to check your version of DirectX to see if it is working correctly, or needs updating. Do Haptek sites display correctly in your browser?

nolitanger

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 10:10:12 am »

Hi, Nige,

Let me offer my 2 cents worth.

Initially, when I created Haptek characters, they didn't show in Hal, either. That was because Haptek automatically gave them a .haptar extension. I had to change .haptar to .htr to get Hal to recognize them.

I don't know if other people have encountered this problem.

NIGE

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 04:23:53 am »
Again thanks   Knyte Trypper   [:D]
Yes Haptek site displays ok.

nolitanger_ I have tried everything, can you tell me how you changed the file to htr?
I bring up hal and my putty face and go to propertys and both are the same. That makes me think that there is something else that has to be done to get them working?   [?]

Neil.

nolitanger

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 10:12:06 am »
Nige,

Just rename the file. Make sure that you've copied the putty face to the Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant/Characters folder; then rename the .haptar to an .htr extension (you'll get a warning, but just ignore it).

A slot for the putty face (with no preview image) will appear in Hal's Options/Character window. To create a preview image, make a jpeg image of the face and save it with the same name in the Characters folder (the jpeg should be 160 x 160). You can also create a start-up screen for your new character by revising one of the ____Start.jpg images in the Characters folder and saving it with the same name as you putty face.

Let me know if that helps.

Richard

Another Jim

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 03:11:51 pm »
HI All,

Just a very brief question on the People Putty topic.  I am very close to buying it but I want to make sure it will work on manipulating the faces of the full size models we have been using here.  I know it's good for 'talking heads' but would the rest of the frame/body cause conflicts if it were loaded to modify just the head part???

Thanks and fantastic work to all of you for your work as well as insight/help to the rest of us!

Jim

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 03:53:55 pm »
The People Putty version you are looking to buy does NOT support
any full body characters...only the head ones.

It is my understanding that they obviously do have one but it's not made available to the general public.(yet).

Other than creating a full body character in 3DS Max, all we can do is "re-texture" the existing full body female or male character.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 03:55:46 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Another Jim

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 04:35:22 pm »
Thanks very much Art,

That's what I was concerned about.  Not being able to manipulate what I would call the wire-frame (even if just in the head area) which supports the textures overlaid onto it would be pretty useless as much as I am using the full body model just so I can take advantage of the various poses that use arms.  Swinging, bringing them up as if to contemplate and clapping add enough additional depth to Hal to just stay with what I have.

Thanks again!

Jim[:)]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 06:27:09 pm »
In all fairness to People Putty, the program does a pretty nice job at allowing one to morph and manipulate faces / heads and apply some pretty wierd textures & props.

Jim, What one can do is texture the head for the full body figure like add wrinkles, scars, lipstick, etc. It depends upon one's skill at using a paint program like PSP or PhotoShop.

Regarding heads:
All the heads that I've created work perfectly with Hal. Sometimes I like the head only characters more than the full body one. I guess it's the "closeness" thing...more like talking face to face instead of 6 feet away.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 09:23:26 pm by Art »

- Art -

NIGE

• View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 08:19:47 pm »
Back again
Nothing works.  I copy and paste from win explorer to hal, rename to htr, close exp and open hal, go to selections and still do not see any of my faces.
I think i got a bird and i think it's flown away.

HELP?
 Neil
P/S I enquired about haptek full body program and the reply was yes you can get it for a price starting from 2500 and still need other progs to work.

onthecuttingedge2005

people putty faces
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 04:48:08 am »
quote:
Originally posted by NIGE

Back again
Nothing works.  I copy and paste from win explorer to hal, rename to htr, close exp and open hal, go to selections and still do not see any of my faces.
I think i got a bird and i think it's flown away.

HELP?
 Neil
P/S I enquired about haptek full body program and the reply was yes you can get it for a price starting from 2500 and still need other progs to work.

Why not just use UT2004 Editor from UnReal Tournament to build your own A.I. body and Realms the ability to change Physics with in a realm, Sound, Music, Speech, Actions and much much more.

Just a thought to pass along if someone knows how to put a wrapper on it.

I have designed UT Maps So if a Realm is needed I can do that but changing the A.I. within UT2004 I haven't touched yet.

A UT2004 Bot can do Tonz of things a Haptek Character can't.
Run
Jump
Walk
Seek
Ambush
Snipe
Swim
Float
Crouch
Climb
Change Skins
Change wire frames
Change player Items
And much more.
And it doesn't cost 2500 smacks.
Best of wishes
Jerry.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 11:48:42 am »
Nige,

What you need to do is use a screen capture program as follows:

Using win explorer locate your .htr file and double click on it.
When you see the character's face, bring up your screen cap program.
Capture the character's face.
Save the image of the face as a .jpg.
MAKE SURE to rename the jpg file exactly the same as the htr's name.
EXAMPLE: girl2a.htr should have a girl2a.jpg
The jpg will allow you and Hal to identify the character in the selection window.
Make sure that both files reside in the UltraHal > Characters directory and you should be able to view the character's face the next time you go to Options > character.

This should work!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
people putty faces
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 09:43:37 pm »
All,

I loaded People Putty, created a new character and went to the Emotions sliders. There, I set her EGO to about 75% and her ANGRY slider to about 90% and her AGRESSION to 90% (the percents are merely approximations here). All the rest of the emotions I moved to almost 0 (5 or 10%).
I saved her character file, renamed the file to an htr extension, copied it to my UltraHal > Characters directory and started HAL.
I selected this new character and her emotional state was that of a Psycho woman! Rolling eyes, shifting from side to side and all around. Her mouth was like a constant sneer just waiting for something to fuss over!

I logged on as another user ...different name and decided I would treat her as a rude, nasty person. The voice still sounded her mellow self but her emotions kept the ones that I had set through People Putty.

After a brief banter of heated topics and name calling, I relaxed a bit and started to talk in a nicer manner. After a few sentences her demeanor became that of a more mellow person. The gruff expression on her face sort of slowly returned to a calm and almost apologetic person. All signs of agression and mouth sneering disappeared. It was quite a cool transition to witness.

I switched users and brought her back up as if nothing had ever happened.

I do wish I would have tried to get her going to see if she would become her psychotic self again! Perhaps next time.

I'm just having too much fun on my weekends!

Hope yours was fun too!

- Art -