Author Topic: microphone  (Read 7450 times)

tee

• View Profile
microphone
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:51:40 pm »
can someone tell me why when I use the mic with hal and its
very quite in the room words just pop on the chat box.
after I say something there are words add to my sentence
which i did not speak. I have a pretty good head set that came
with voice xpress.
confused. tee

vonsmith

• View Profile
microphone
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 10:53:27 am »
tee,
Sounds like you need to adjust the microphone sensitivity in the set up.
As I recall there is a portion of the voice recognition set up where the program asks you to speak at normal volume and the amplifier gain is adjusted to the proper level. If you have done this already I would suggest rechecking it again.

=vonsmith=

antec2

• View Profile
microphone
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 03:17:58 pm »
if you really are interested in making speech recognition work, then it is absolutely essential to have the right hardware. Plenty of computing power helps, but if you are attempting to use an integrated sound card (to cut costs, a lot of package PC's have the soundcard integrated directly into the motherboard), this is often not sufficent for good speech recognition. One annoying thing about hal is that the microphone is still recording even when hal is speaking, so when it picks up hal's own voice in the background, it will cause words to pop up in the input box. To remedy this, turn the volume of the speakers down or place them facing in a direction further away from your microphone. As vonsmith said, try adjusting the recording volume of the mic lower. I can't comment on the quality of voice xpress, but I know that Dragon Natrually speaking works the best. It will search for what is called "tri-grams", or anotherwards will parse together the syllables in every three words and uses a type of database to help assemble what it hears through the microphone into logical sentences. For example, if you were to say "the dog ran" in an even, flowing tone, the voice recognition engine would be more likely to accurately hear you than if you said each word by itself with long pauses in between. Your SR engine may work on this same principle. Try this next time you try to do some voice training, and see if you notice increased accuracy.
Hope this helps
Kman

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
microphone
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:36:52 am »
try PLANTRONICS USB headset microphone

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
microphone
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 09:38:26 am »
i find that the blue tooth headsets work WELL TOO, you can listen to music while talking to hal, and recive phonecalls, and the occasional MSN conference,,,,

lambar

• View Profile
    • http://www.donet.com/~megron
microphone
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 10:53:07 am »
Do they still sell microphones with the on/off button :)

That would seem to make things easier. [8D]

Ron

ghostrider

• View Profile
microphone
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:49:13 pm »
HI all well ive trained my voice recocnition program to work well but i have also had the same problems i even picked up a cell phone mic ear piece and adapted it to hal it still picks up background noise.
       So here is my solution i have been looking for a bone induction mic ive seen handycap people us them to control devices they go around the neck and pickup sound through the jaw bone ill order one and test it out.