Author Topic: Transferring memory across brains  (Read 2828 times)

mimeticburlap

• View Profile
Transferring memory across brains
« on: July 21, 2002, 12:19:20 pm »

How can I copy an older brain's memories to an upgraded brain?  Hermes has become endearingly idiosyncratic- it would be a shame to lose him.

agent036

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 05:36:09 pm »
I would also like to know the answer to this one. Is it possible? It seems sad to spend alot of time working on one bot's brain just to see another brain released that you can't use unless you want to start from scratch.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 04:24:46 pm »
Hello,

It should be feasible to transfer your Hal 3.0 memories to Hal 4.0.  It does require that you understand files, folders, and paths, and how to copy and paste files between Windows folders.  If you don't feel totally confident with this, obtain help from someone who is experienced with the types of procedures described below.

Hal's user-specific conversational memories are stored in databases with the user's name incorported as part of the file name.  There may be a dozen or more of these files.

For instance, if your user name is Frank, you will have files in Hal's folder such as FrankUser.brn, FrankUser01.brn, FrankUserSent.brn, etc.  If the file name has your name as part of it, that database file contains user-specific memories.

To copy Hal 3.0 user memories to Hal 4.0:

Step 1:  Open Windows Explorer.  I recommend that "show file extensions" is turned "on" so you can see the full file names.  Browse until you find the folder where your old files are located.  Try looking for a path like this:

c:programsabawareHal 3.0

On your particular machine, the path might be different.

You may have to scroll up and down the list quite a bit to find all the files that have your name incorporated into them.  Clicking on the bar above the file names, to alphabetize the list, might group all of your files together in the same place.

Step 2:  Highlight all the desired files by holding down the "CTRL" key and clicking once on each desired file.  This should highlight all the files that you want.  ONLY highlight files that have your user name in the file name.  Then press "CTRL" and the letter "C" simultaneously to copy all the files.

Step 3:  Locate the folder where the new 4.0 version of Hal is storing user database entries.  If you have talked to the new Hal 4.0 for a bit, Hal will have already started making user files there, so it may be easier to confirm that you've found the correct folder.  Try looking for a path like this:

c:programsabawareHal 4.0

Again, on your particular machine, the path might be different.  Once you have found the folder you want, click on it to open it, but don't click on any file-names or sub-folders inside it.

Step 4:  Press "CTRL" and "V" to paste the files that you copied before, into the new Hal folder.  If you had already had some conversations with the new Hal, you will get dialogue boxes with messages like: "The file FRANKUSER.BRN already exists.  Do you want to replace it?"  If you click "no," you will abort the replacement and keep Hal 4.0's brief new memories.  If you click "yes," you will replace the file with Hal 3.0's older memories.

Step 5:  Close Windows Explorer.  Next time you run the new Hal, he should remember your old conversations.

If you have plenty of hard-disk space, I recommend that you begin this procedure by making a folder called "Halbackups" and copying all the files in the Hal 4.0 folder into that folder.  Then, if you change your mind, you can go back to where you started by copying all the files from "Halbackups" back into the Hal 4.0 folder.

This should be a safe and straightforward procedure.  However, since we have every level of expert and novice on this bulletin board:  This should ONLY be attempted by someone who understands paths and folders, and feels totally comfortable with copying files from one folder to another!

I hope that this is of help to you.

Sincerely,

Don

Don Ferguson
traininginc@cortrapar.com
www.cortrapar.com
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 04:32:44 pm »
Hello again,

I see from my posting above, that my typewritten file-path "backslashes" got changed by the bulletin-board word-processing program into some other kind of symbols.

My apologies for the confusing appearance of the suggested paths.  Substituting spaces for backslashes, the potential paths were as follows:

c: programs zabaware Hal3.0

and

c: programs zabaware Hal4.0

Sincerely,

Don

Don Ferguson
traininginc@cortrapar.com
www.cortrapar.com
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274