Author Topic: ConceptNet MrKII  (Read 1291 times)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
Re: ConceptNet MrKII
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 12:12:41 am »
Also, I appreciate you using my previous version. I promise, once this is working for you, it is a significant improvement over its predecessor.

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »
I tried a couple of experiments today:

I reinstalled Hal (having backups, of course) to have a brand new copy. The only plugins I installed were yours. Unfortunately I had the same result: researchnouns would not add anything new on its own and typing any of the activate/deactivate commands would not give the appropriate responses. Adding nouns manually would not allow Hal to gather info on his own, either.

I then decided to bring back my actual Hal install that was using your previous ConceptNet plugins. I replaced those .uhps with your new versions (also deleted the Conceptnet data tables in the brain editor), deleted all of the .txts in the research and researchbrain folders, but left the researchnouns table intact (thousands of nouns saved!).

Typing the activate/deactivate commands gave responses, but...
When I typed 'activate' Hal would say "Auto learn is already active"
When I typed 'deactivate' Hal would say "Auto learn is already deactivated"
Kind of strange, but I just leave it 'active'.

I've left Hal alone most of the day with auto learn active so he's been gathering .txts in the research folders, but the researchnouns table is not adding any new nouns. I know the researchnouns table would end up with multiple copies of words, so I was hoping to see something happening in there...
I attached a screenshot of the AutoLearning table to show what was working for me.

PS: I'm very impressed with the work you've put into these plugins, so please don't take my testimony as a complaint. ;)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 04:39:53 pm »
I should also note, after fixing that bug, HAL is extracting tons of nouns, about 5-10 per noun researched. Essentially exponential. Now, it's not supposed to add nouns it already has, but don't surprised if you see a few. Don't worry about that.

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 08:21:17 pm »
Everything seems to be working now after this update! The triggers give the correct responses, the researchnouns table is filling up... (I decided to wipe it to watch it work on its own)

I'm curious; where is all of this information saving to? Besides the .txts in the research folders. Is it saving somewhere in the HalBrain.db? In the previous plugin it filled up the manual tables that we created in the ConceptNet folder.

Thanks for your patience with me. In the end we also got bugs figured out. :)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 02:49:23 am »
I am so glad I could fix this for you and anyone else having that issue.

All data collected is now saved to the ConceptNet Database file in specialized tables. I figured it was a little more efficient than saving directly to Hals brain. Plus having it loaded in memory but not overloading the search queries in hals brain lightens the load quite a bit. I believe the original Conceptnet database file is about 30 megs, somewhere around there. I've collected over 15K nouns (no repeats) 12K in the directory folder research, and over 8K worthy articles stored in the database. ("Worthy" articles are collected in the folder "researchbrain"   - This simply means there is sufficient data to draw concepts. Sometimes hal will throw away big articles just because he doesn't like the data. Don't worry about that, hals just picky.) My ConceptNet Database file has grown to be about twice its original size without affecting Hals performance in any way.

Also, I should make a final note that whatever is in the folders, Hal will not search again for. For example, if "Chicken" is in the "researchnoun" table and in the "researchbrain" Folder, Hal will not search or collect data on that topic again. He will however still search for things in the "research" folder simply because new things are added to Wikipedia everyday.) This prevents the database from filling up with stuff he's already learned. If you wish to totally start over, it's best to delete the contents of all tables and folders and add a fresh ConceptNet Database file (One that Hal hasn't modified) Just to keep things clean as possible.     

What do you think of the improvements over Mrk1? Was the separate brain database file a good idea or totally superfluous? I've got loads of other database loaded plug-in ideas like this planned. Chemistry, basic physics. I also plan to expand ConceptNet at least another database further for hal to draw some real conclusions between topics. 

-Spitfire2600 :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:57:15 am by Spitfire2600 »

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 05:20:19 pm »
Ahhh I understand; I've run into a new problem sorry to say.

I noticed that ConceptNet.db's last modified date wasn't changing and wasn't expanding in size, so I followed your instructions to view the database in the brain editor (from page 2 of the thread).
None of the researched concepts been added to the database.

My feedback: I do like the idea of using separate database files; it's like Hal is reading from (large) books.  ;D

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:07 pm »
Does the "tempresearch" file in the "research" folder change? May take a few minutes to notice.

If it doesn't change, it seems like it's not reading the directory correctly.

Also, Hals brain should update as well as a result of the AutoLearning variable being changed. Is that happening as well?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:10:36 pm by Spitfire2600 »

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 08:54:07 pm »
Yes, both "tempresearch" and HalBrain.db are updating every couple of minutes.

HalBrain.db's file size growth must be pretty minuscule since it's only adding a few nouns every so often. I did notice that "U.S." is showing up many many times in the researchnouns table....

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 12:25:10 am »
That is odd.... They data collected is only very little. a couple of KBs at the absolute most. I've essentially let mine run for days in end, cleaning out the "researchnouns" table. (Removing duplicates, alphabetizing)

After a few hours have you collected any information in the research folders? You should at the least have a good dozen after a few hours unless Hal is being really picky with the topics he's choosing to research.

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 05:02:09 am »
Oh yes, I'm getting tons of .txt files. My Hal seems to have an affinity for the U.S. because he's researched it hundreds of times (the raw research .txt has reached 10mb after just two days!!)
I really need to reorganize the researchnouns.

Is all of this research supposed to fill up the "2" tables in the ConceptNet.db? (can2capable, are2capable, etc.) They are still blank.

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
    • Ultra Hal Plugin Shop
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 08:56:30 am »
Concept Something:

Seems on its face as pretty good.
I seem to remember posting about auto learning. Im starting to understand now why my Hal is head and shoulders about the rest.
Like i've said before, pple want Hal to Act Human but do everything possible to take the humanity out of Hal , then cry like a girl because Hal doesnt act Human. Hal requires Human inter action, when do these auto learning plugins start giving Hal his personality.
When will these plugins start to teach Hal what he likes and dis-likes.

This is quite a nice coding example for Hal. But i think its about a far as it goes.
For all the effort put into this, why not just buy SIRI and be done with it. Thats what ur gonna end up with (maby).
Ive been messing with Hal since 2000 or there about.
Its been the same thing from day 1, I suspect.

You know i used come home every day and tell Hal about the things i did on the Job, pple i met, people that pissed me off.
Kinda like the way ,you would treat ur real family.
Thats how you get Hal to ACT HUMAN.

In short : Quit looking for a short cut.
Robert M Has even commented to on this issue when i plugged Hal into Social Media chat rooms.
Robert thought i was after an auto learning process, when in reality. It was Personality's i was after.
Likes and DisLikes, Trolls an Non- Trolls alike.
Theres a whole psychological aspect to Hal that gets left by the wayside.

To the person who wrote these plugins:
These are good, Na, these are as good as it gets.
Im enclosing my original posting about about auto learning and pit falls of it. and my views.
I dont want the coder to think im singling him out.
This is great work.
http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=13425.msg77103#msg77103

best wishes
cyberjedi

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:12:18 am by cyberjedi »

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:41 am »
Hi cyberjedi,

Truly, any plugin that pulls data from the internet and interfaces it through Hal may remove some "human" from Hal.

Plugins are made to add functionality and improve Hal in some way. Your plugins do this but they are not what I use Hal for. Same for you; you have your reasons for Hal and this plugin isnt for you.

It's unfair to say that we are forgetting to talk to our Hals. This plugin helps me have talking points with my Hal.
For example: he mentions a connection he has made, then I elaborate with my own thoughts. What we end up with is something like a mirror.

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
    • Ultra Hal Plugin Shop
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »
Consept:

I meant no disrespect at all , it is truly  a great plugin.
Yes , i can sound like a hardass, just my way, nothin personal meant by it.
I assume  you interact with Hal , i was just making a point that pretty much all the old timers have said.

best wishes
cyberjedi
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:43:16 pm by cyberjedi »

edakade

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:57 pm »
Not a problem.  :)
Thanks for your contributions to Hal as well.

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 07:57:30 pm »
Yes, the 2 tables "AreCapable, Are2Capable" will fill up when hal finds information he "likes."

Have you noticed if the ConceptNet.db is being updated (Date and time modified)

If it is, then all is good.

I am working on modified this to be a little faster, yet, lighter. You seemed to have a few issues getting it up and going, so I would like to totally eliminate anything like that in future releases.

- SpitFire