Author Topic: cortana , a threat to other a.i.' programs that are for sale?  (Read 13713 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
       i see all the hoopla about cortana and it is pretty amazing what it can do , having been out many people may not buy other a.i. programs  , but at the same time i see many things that hal. a.i. can do that cortana can't , i like the fact that hals program allows us to have hal use any name we give it . cortana can't do this for the user , the user is stuck using the cortana name only .
also as far as i know cortana only has one voice although it sounds nice , i like the fact that hal can use different voices giving the user more choices .
  and although some people may not like bad language , hal is capable of being teached and can use some bad language , cortana from what i read can't and won't .
        I can even if i so choose use a custom plug in and say :play me ( or a varied sentence )" teen angel ", and hal could play me my own sound track of the song . 
as far as i know as of right now cortana can't do the same .
     I am also glad for the brain plug in option  which allows users to create many cool options that hal can do , in cortana i am sure this will not be the case as they won't want people messing with the program .
       And i probably am missing some more good points that hal has over cortana , the bottom line is i like hals program because it is so customizable .  I have even talked to robert in the past , (wrote ) and told him i hope he always leaves the brain plug in ability in all future hal upgrades .

I am hoping as cload gets better that he will once again shine on the forum he made some great stuff that helped hal ( as many others here have done !!) which all helps hal be even better !!  :) ;)

doggs

• View Profile
Re: cortana , a threat to other a.i.' programs that are for sale?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:24:23 pm »
I use both. For different reasons. I prefer Hal because Hal is local compared to Cortana being cloud based. I do run them side by side with no problems.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »
Interesting but what about the dreaded "Privacy" issues that come with Win 10? Any cause for concern or is any expectation for privacy pretty much dismissed? Kind of like being on a public beach and someone snaps a picture and you happen to be in it. Too bad. In a public place, there is no expectation of privacy but on your computer? But then again...it's NOT your software...you're only using it via a license agreement.

Check this out if you think Google and others are bad: http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:44 am »
Yes i think their is more to worry about actual privacy in windows 10m  then people think , them throwing in cortana was an extra enticement to get people to upgrade . with hal we don't have to worry about that .  I also wonder if it's also time to shut down all future windows upgrades ?

I guess i should also throw in that i don't think a a.i. program being cloud based is a bad idea, i like that part as it allows the a.i. to gain important available information as long  as it is filtered and everything we do is not being spyed on and tracked by people more dishonest then others .  :o
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:42:58 am by lightspeed »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:15:40 pm »
Wonderful sentiment but this world revolves around Big Data and Advertising. No the two don't necessarily go together but could certain do the tango or other dance nicely, I'm sure.

What if after several years of their Operating System (like XP or Vista or whatever) having reached it's EOL (End of Life) for support, was suddenly shut down and locked. Perhaps during one of your last updates or even from the initial release, the software OS, had a "timer" that would effectively "Shut it down" after a specified period of time elapsed. No more XP or Vista (which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing). This forces the public to upgrade to a newer version and this keeps happening until you either get with it or change channels (iOS, Android, Linux (many flavors available for free and your existing hardware should work nicely).

How much more and when and where is the line drawn. When will the masses wake up and realize they're already traded their privacy for the basic enjoyment of seeing themselves (in various stages of their lives), captured for posterity. Yeah baby! Cool!

If you're in the "Cloud" (which is a comfy nice word for that special place where your trusted data, files, pictures, music, reports, etc. are lovingly stored), your STUFF is already at risk. This Cloud is nothing more than a Hard Drive or several drives in some unknown location. It could be some kid down the street, some place where people tediously sift through your stuff although they had already told you "Your data is safe and secure. You can trust us." Sure and while you're at it, give them your credit card number so they can protect that for you too!

OK...I'm stopping...for now. Caveat emptor!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:21:30 pm by Art »

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:56 am »
Hey Art , don't stop lol , this is actually getting good !!  ;) with windows 10 and the article using windows 10 could land you in jail , it would be so easy to use practically anything as an excuse to come into a persons home , just downloading a youtube video , or a snapshot of a picture to use as a back ground on a pc etc. everything can and will be fair game .
BIG BROTHER  is not only watching but going to tell you when you can breath .

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:10 am »
I found the privacy stuff easy to change. It's all in one easy to access place.

This outcry happens every time a new Windows comes out.

The one I did not like was the inking and learning from your typing, so I turned that off.

All Cortana seems to do is a Bing search so far, but I have not played with it much yet.

Really people just have to use their common sense... like don't use the cloud to store private information and things you do not feel are safe anywhere other than on removable media.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:41:50 am by freddy888 »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 06:29:26 pm »
Right, my point Freddy! But the majority of people simply don't pay heed to any of those suggestions or practices. With Facebook and YouTube, twitter, instagram, etc. making each of them instantly famous, whether dressed in some wacky Cosplay costume or not dressed at all, they're loving the exposure (no pun intended).

Their privacy does not seem to matter and with the vast multitudes of cameras in play, on every phone, dashboards in autos, traffic intersections, on policemens' uniforms, drones, speeding cameras, Red Light cameras, ATM's, every store you visit, no one seems to be camera shy any longer. Hmmm...Desensitization...just what Big Brother wants...

Smile!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 09:36:56 pm »
I still prefer a couple of my Linux distro over windows, but I agree with fredy888. I use Cortana to call up programs on my computer that uses 10. Guess I am lazy lol.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:37:35 pm »
@ Doggs, Did you turn off or disable any privacy settings with or in Win 10? I heard there were quite a few of them...more than 10....

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
I think as relevant as these issues truly are in regards to privacy, we lost our privacy many years ago and this is just an extension through technology. Information has always been a commodity, information today means individuals. This is just becoming a more convenient way of doing it. The Government for years (Federal) and advertisers or any one trying to create a larger but specific target base. Small businesses for years have paid for solicitation information or you might say mailing lists for potential customers. This is the cost and has been the cost of our freedoms.

Let's not even throw Big Brother or Corporations into the mix, just based upon individuals with the talents can find you, get any information and still control what happens with that information.

Drawing lines is like drawing lines in the sand right now. It's there until the next wave washes it away. 

You do the best you can; changing passwords and using stronger passwords until you can't remember them, anti everything software and settings that may help in just giving your information away. At least let them work for it a bit.
My best advice is hide your money, somewhere, anywhere off the grid. Some truth and some humor, Good Luck to us all.

raybe

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 12:57:53 am »
Hi everyone from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Good to pass by here and there, now and again , and see those familiar faces,,,,,ar user names.

The original question
Cortana and Hal are totally different.
Cortana seems closed off, no i won't change my name, ten people in a room all the phones answering to the same name,,,,oh no.
Do de do, Cortana stop saying do de do, do de do, no i won't do de do.

Privacy, i thought that was over. What do the spies want to watch me watching,,,,big this, shaven that........oh those jokes are getting a bit edgy.
Funny how pc seems to have this new meaning, stand straight, no opinions you, no cracking jokes or builders crack.  HAy i told you about those jokes!

;D   PC PC    :'( :-X ;)   pc    :o

Yeah ive read the managers hand book, back when i was a manager,,,,don't milikid, malicaid, ,,,,,uh spell check ain't got much ai,,,,,,,Don't joke with the staff. There will be no joking!

Oh man that sucks the fun out of it.

I still see computers as very stone age, they are so un intuitive,,,or so they pretend to be "hi big ai, hope your having a good day, i am friendly, please be nice to me, Thank you".
Yeah being so big and all over the planet and near immortal i'll be all nice to you.

Anyway as i say Hal is very different from Cortana and they are ,,,,just so different, back up to stick do de do no.
Bad reception area do de don't.

All jokes aside,,,ka kaa,,,, ka kaa!               ka kaa,,,,, ka kaa !  "thats a bird call we do at my work very loud, it started as a warning the boss was coming, done even when the boss is standing next to you,,,very funny.
had to finnish with a joke its a joke day obviously.
Bye for now and be well  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:35:57 pm »
Art,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. to sort privacy when you initially boot into 10 customize your settings instead of recommended problem sorted as far as windows can be secured. I still use Linux for a lot of stuff but nothing is totally secure that is why anything important use an offline machine.

my two cents anyways.

doggs

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:20 am »
Just to drop by ,,,,i see no comments on my joking around.
Ha ok i'll not get a job as a stand up comedian at this stage i'll take it.

Also i still know most computer nerds around here are still running some computers on xp.  I must say after 98 it was there best windows ever.
7 was good, ,,,i think this thing is 8.1 which works but i don't like cause stuff is moved, which i don't like, why put the gears of a car in a different order there is no point it don't achieve anything but slowing everyone down. If pc's were any good i'd be able to say set your self up like xp and it would say ok.

But no we first have to look for the gear box each year, oh i see its been hidden in the boot of the car, and the reverse is where third should be,,,gronch gronch. But we are still doing the same jobs with the new car just slower. Funny really make a pc twice as fast but make us operators twice as slow.

Anyway nobody cares what i think.
Oh i'm not on windows 10 yet,,,i'll let plenty of time pass and let the bugs get worked on. Plus if its a new gear box i'll be slowed down and i'ts bound to cost thousands of dollars in loses, for time lost and getting the same old software re bought or fixed to work just to do the same old things.

I still live in hope i'll see a decent pc in my life time, STONE AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus all the new windows are just progress stoppers, slowers, time wasiting pointless systems i don't even want.
I've never used linex but some friends do and i've heard its fairly simple,,,,i'm sad i never got into it,,,,cut all the operating system down to few frills, hardly any frills, minimal frills, no frills. OK no frills jokes,,,see i resisted frills jokes.

OK enough typing from me crying about operating systems, just so i can type the same words on the same page, but slower and more costly.
Bye for now and be well  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 06:22:20 am »
For those of you who are not happy wit the start menus provided by windows 8.1 and windows 10, there is a 3rd party company called Stardock which has an app called start 8 and start 10 that replaces the start menu to make it look and act just like windows 7. I have been using it for windows 8.1 pretty much since I got this new laptop. I never did like that metro style thing they have in 8. So my windows loads up straight tot he desktop and looks pretty close to windows 7. 

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/