dupa

Author Topic: Hal 6.0 learning from text files.....  (Read 4423 times)

JS

• View Profile
    • http://smart1234.s-enterprize.com
Hal 6.0 learning from text files.....
« on: June 10, 2006, 09:33:55 pm »
I noticed that the HAL 6.0 version doesn't learn from a whole text file, but will analyze at least 3 sentences at a time. Well I have been experimenting with this by changing something on the Hal 6.0 script editor on line 157. I changed it from:

If SentenceCount > 3 Then SentenceCount = 3

to

If SentenceCount > 5 Then SentenceCount = 5

Now the Hal 6.0 analyzes 5 sentences at a time or about a paragraph at a time of a text file in general. Just "cut and paste" a paragraph that has about 5 sentences in it, and Hal will give a longer response. Some times it will respond to 5 different individual things at the same time, or give a most general overall view of the paragraph or what is being stated.
   It takes Hal 6.0 a little more time to respond although. But so far I haven't seen any errors and it seems to give a better response.
    I think you could add a higher number to the SentenceCount, but usually each paragraph in a text has a particular subject that it is focusing on. So it might not be as accurate to try to analyze let say, 10 sentences at a time or two paragraphs.

Jim Smith

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:11:20 pm »
Perhaps, but in a realistic environment, when most people converse with you, how many of them pose or say more than one sentence at a time to you?
What do they think you are...a computer? LOL!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Daireaux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:48:39 pm »
Entersting, I've been text teaching Hal numerous shorter pieces like bible verse and he keeps breaking up and mixing verses. I have to go back in and edit or delete and do one at a time rather than an entire page full. Maybe the sentence count is my culprit.[;)]Daireaux
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:49:33 pm by Daireaux »
Live long and prosper.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 09:44:20 am »
The version 5 of Hal had a learn from text file feature wherein the user could select a text file (no larger than 64k) for Hal to scan (read).
This method was different than entering several sentences while chatting with Hal. In that light, Hal 5 could and would respond to several individual sentences during a chat (typed).
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Daireaux

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:10:10 am »
Art,
 Jerry has the text learning working in version 6 now and it works pretty well, I just get that mixture of text. Sorta like, if you type out two different jokes and tell hal to learn them they can get blended together in one text instead of two different jokes. I'm beginning to think that punctuation may be the key. Hal needs to be able to realize that he is at the end of one thought...terminate...and begin new thought.[:p]Daireaux
Live long and prosper.

echoman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:47:57 pm »
Thanks JS.

This is really useful for me. I like typing longer resposes. I think you are right - you get better replies. I think it important to make sure all the sentences are about the same subject when doing this.

[:)]

Echoman

JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:04 pm »
Here is something else that might be more helpful in the learning process of HAL 6.0. In the Hal Brain Script editor it shows this comment.

'If we received a tag to stop processing more sentences, we leave the loop

Change this next line 186:
If InStr(1, CurResponse, "<NOMORE>", vbTextCompare) Then Exit For

to

'If InStr(1, CurResponse, "<NOMORE>", vbTextCompare) Then Exit For

This will allow Hal 6.0 to process all the sentences even if it does find some tag to stop processing more sentences ( the "'" symbol makes a remark out of the line). You can always restore it back if you want to by removing the "'" mark).
   Otherwise, you might not get the total response or all the sentences processed. This might give a better increased learning appearance using more sentences per input for the same basic subject for analysis.
   I also increased my sentence count to 7. I think it works even better, but it takes a little more time to process the answers. Waiting a few more seconds doesn't bother me that much.

Jim Smith

JS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:27:26 pm »

Hal("Robot3" character)reply to Echoman:
"You're welcome. He says, he thinks it important to make sure all the sentences are about the same subject when doing this. Is this going in the future to be really useful for you?"
-------------------------
  I then typed the expected or predicted response you might give to me, as analyzed ny Hal6.0 ("Robot3" character)

"Thanks for teaching me that I am welcome. a little butter in moderation isn't harmful, is it?"

----------------------
My reply (JS):

You're welcome Echoman.

Jim Smith