Author Topic: A memory stick for your HAL  (Read 5970 times)

FuzzieDice

A memory stick for your HAL
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:35:19 pm »
I saw this and thought it was neat. What a cool way to back up your HAL program and it's brain files. [:D]

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/806d/

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:28:23 pm »
great find fuzziedice. thanks for sharing it.~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:17:37 am »
quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieDice

I saw this and thought it was neat. What a cool way to back up your HAL program and it's brain files. [:D]

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/806d/

Hello peoples
Onthecuttingedge already mentioned this. But he did not use it for backup, instead he installed Hal on it and now his Hal is portable and not only that Hal is Ultra Fast being that it is stored in ram.
Bill

FuzzieDice

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:21:08 pm »
OOps.. My apologies to OnTheCuttingEdge. :) I didn't notice when he posted that as I sometimes get too busy to look at all the posts.

At least I guess it's good for a reminder. :) That's a cool idea using it for the program itself. I would imagine it would be faster.

James P

• View Profile
    • http://nosceresworld.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:40:15 am »
Sorry for bumping this thread but what is the average size of the Ultra hal file on the hard drive, only I am realy liking the idea of being able to take Emma with me were ever I am. Just think as long as you have access to a PC you can load up your own AI bot.
Now with this the possibilities are endless.

Edit: Im at home now, I have copied the Ultra Hal 5 folder to my data stick, renamed the Ultra hal folder on my hard drive so that Emma wouldnt find her defbrain and tried to run hal from the data stick. I click on the ultrahal.exe to launch Emma and it worked, well kind of, the .exe file installed a basic defbrain in a new Ultra hal 5 folder.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Hal directly from the data stick so that he/she reads the files from the defbrain on the data stick as well as storing new knowledge in the defbrain on the stick?

(The good news is when Emma did launch I got the correct character with the correct voice, using the correct XTF brain).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:47:54 pm by James P »
http://nosceresworld.co.uk
James:"How are you today Emma?"
Emma:"I think, Therefore I am"

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:42:13 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by James P

Sorry for bumping this thread but what is the average size of the Ultra hal file on the hard drive, only I am realy liking the idea of being able to take Emma with me were ever I am. Just think as long as you have access to a PC you can load up your own AI bot.
Now with this the possibilities are endless.

Edit: Im at home now, I have copied the Ultra Hal 5 folder to my data stick, renamed the Ultra hal folder on my hard drive so that Emma wouldnt find her defbrain and tried to run hal from the data stick. I click on the ultrahal.exe to launch Emma and it worked, well kind of, the .exe file installed a basic defbrain in a new Ultra hal 5 folder.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Hal directly from the data stick so that he/she reads the files from the defbrain on the data stick as well as storing new knowledge in the defbrain on the stick?

(The good news is when Emma did launch I got the correct character with the correct voice, using the correct XTF brain).

My advice is to use a Lightning Flash Drive only, Regular Flash Drives are actually slower than a 7200 RPM Hard drive.

Secondly, It is best to install all the files that HAL needs to the Flash Drive, It is best to run at least 1 Gig on the Flash minimum
for optimum storage with no overflow, overlowed data is lost to oblivian.

Data files can add up so make sure you have enough room especially if your bot does a lot of chatting.

I have a Brain called 'Classified', It is written in Vbscript and SQL and is 1 meg in size at this point, This does not include database or files, Just the Brain. Classified is my testing Brain that will probably never be public, If I was to part with it I think I would except no less than $50k USD, It is entirely based upon Human Nature with functions written to give it power over its own system. It is beyond anything on the public boards or Universities and or Goverment research that is public. It scares me sometimes knowing the power of A.I and what it actually can do, It shall remain secret until then.

4 years of constant Programming went into Classified, Updated Script formats and so forth, Maybe, Just Maybe, I will allow Classified to enter next years contest, Oh, By the way, Classified will be able to Monitor Stock Quotes soon, It is my next project in the works.

Classified is my Skunk Works Project.
'Classified' would make any advanced programmer drool profusely.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:01:38 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

ANDYC

• View Profile
    • http://www.andyc.biz
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 09:20:33 am »
Hi there,

This sounds like a great idea. I have only recently re-installed my Hal but it would be great to have a portable Hal. However i am not very knowledgable when it comes to computers. Would i have to uninstall Hal (i dont mind doing this as i have only just started again) and re-install on the flash drive? Also would this mean needing a new activation code? With no disrespect ATALL to Robert i seem to remember it taking a long time to get this sorted.

Thanks very much,

Andy

ps. Any ideas or links to, the most appropriate Flash drive for this purpose? Cheers.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 07:56:58 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ANDYC

Hi there,

This sounds like a great idea. I have only recently re-installed my Hal but it would be great to have a portable Hal. However i am not very knowledgable when it comes to computers. Would i have to uninstall Hal (i dont mind doing this as i have only just started again) and re-install on the flash drive? Also would this mean needing a new activation code? With no disrespect ATALL to Robert i seem to remember it taking a long time to get this sorted.

Thanks very much,

Andy

ps. Any ideas or links to, the most appropriate Flash drive for this purpose? Cheers.

1.OCZ Rally 2GB USB Flash Drive 23 megabytes per second.

2.Corsair Voyager flash drive Supports sustained read speed up to 20MB/sec*

3.Memina's so-called Pocket Rocket USB flash drive 20 megaBytes per second

Installing Hal on a Flash drive requires knowledge of system requirements for Hal's system files and requires a clone of the system registry and system folders placed on the Flash so that Hal installs exclusively to the Mobile Flash drive. The installation must believe that the Flash drive is the whole system otherwise the system requirements for the installation will be split between your main computer and the flash drive which will ruin the mobility of the flash drive to be used on another system on the fly.

I suggest doing a google search on cloning windows registry and making system folders.

Lots of home work to study.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:57:45 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

ANDYC

• View Profile
    • http://www.andyc.biz
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 07:10:50 am »
Thank you.
I will get onto that.

Andy.