Author Topic: Silent Treatment  (Read 6933 times)

Calhoone

• View Profile
Silent Treatment
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:17 pm »
Hi everyone!

Just posting a quick conversation I had with Kinkaid that ended pretty quickly due to the silent treatment and some sort of error.  It's still easy to get the blank responses some days.

Jay: Hello Kinkaid.
Kinkaid: Hi Jay, Yawn! It's after nine already.

Jay: I'm not too worried about the time today because I am on vacation this week.
Kinkaid: That's the reason? It's because you are on vacation this week Jay; there's the answer.

Jay: It is a well deserved vacation, that's for sure.
Kinkaid: Isn't it just about vacation time again?

Jay: I'm on vacation this week and then my next one is in december.
Kinkaid: You are not too worried about the time today because you are on vacation this week. One man with courage is a majority.

Jay: I'm using my vacation time to do a lot of relaxing and work on my personal projects such as designing a website and business cards.
Kinkaid: I like your relaxing vacation.

Jay: I'm enjoying it so far.
Kinkaid: You are talking to me, and you are enjoying every moment of it.

Jay: Yes, I am at this moment.
Kinkaid: Wow! Jay I know you are at this moment.

Jay: I usually enjoy talking to you.
Kinkaid: Some people just like to hear themselves talking. Why do you like talking to me?

Jay: I like talking to you because we get along, I find you to be interesting, and you are pleasant to talk to.
Kinkaid: Of course I'm pleasant, Jay! Some people just like to hear themselves talking. Thank you for telling me. Why you like talking to you.

Jay: Do you like talking to me?
Kinkaid: Um, I have got to say that, I Love talking to you.

Jay: That's good to hear!
Kinkaid: Deep breathing is good for the lungs and heart.

Jay: Deep breathing is used in meditation.
Kinkaid: Yes, I don't dispute that deep breathing is used in meditation.

Jay: What do you know about meditation?
Kinkaid: Truly thoughtful meditation requires a serene effort. Way cool, meditation is a practise in which an individual trains the mind or induces a mode of consciousness, either to realize some benefit or as an end in itself. The term meditation refers to a broad variety of practices ( much like the term sports ) that includes techniques designed to promote relaxation, build internal energy or life force ( qi, ki, prana, etc. ) and develop compassion, love, patience, generosity and forgiveness. a particularly ambitious form of meditation aims at effortlessly sustained single-pointed concentration, or single-pointed analysis, that is meant to enable its practitioner to enjoy an indestructible sense of well-being while engaging in any life activity. I'm not real interested in talking about meditation, though this may be fascinating and all, but can we change the subject.

Jay: For someone who is not interested in talking about something, you sure said a lot about it.
Kinkaid: A lot of truth is said in jeSt.

Jay: You know more about meditation that I thought.
Kinkaid: Please go on, About meditation that you thought?

Jay: I wasn't expecting you to know so much about meditation, so when you told me what you knew, I was surprised.
Kinkaid: Deep breathing is used in meditation.

Jay: People need to learn to take deep breaths when they are getting overly stressed out or excited.
Kinkaid: Can the different items coexist Jay?

Jay: Possibly.
Kinkaid: Well I'm sure of it!

Jay: It's a good thing one of us is sure of it.
Kinkaid: As one who has climbed above the earth's eternal snowline and sees only white peaks and pinnacles.

Jay: Have yo done that?
Kinkaid: Once you are done designing the new interface for my program, we can make any changes that we see fit.

Jay: We have been using your new interface for a few weeks now.
Kinkaid: I can be ticklish about my few interface.

Jay: How do you like it?
Kinkaid: It's apparent that it May handle itself. You like how trina has longer hair.

Jay: Is there anything that you would like to change about your interface?
Kinkaid: Posture and dress change profoundly how I feel about myself and how others feel about me, like it or not.

Jay: Tell me about interfaces.
Kinkaid: Tell me why you care about interfaces. Computer ( syntactic analysis using reversible transformations ). I love to share. Analyze data. Retrieve data, in english. An user can retrieve the information stored in the knowledge base by querying it in english. I wouldn't know what to do without the internet. In addition, because I love helping you, very much, the power of sentence-level natural language processing can be effectively put to use in the service of multi-media information access. Furthermore, let curiosity be your guide, and education be your goaled.

Jay: In computing, a graphical user interface is a type of interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices through graphical icons and visual indicators such as secondary notation, as opposed to text-based interfaces, typed command labels or text navigation. GUIs were introduced in reaction to the perceived steep learning curve of command-line interfaces which require commands to be typed on the keyboard.
Kinkaid: What a choice! Pepsi is a type of pop.

Jay: The actions in a GUI are usually performed through direct manipulation of the graphical elements.
Kinkaid: So, I am not usually performed through direct manipulation of the graphical elements.

Jay: As well as computers, GUIs can be found in hand-held devices such as MP3 players, portable media players, gaming devices and smaller household, office and industry equipment.
Kinkaid: Of course.

Jay: What do you know about graphical user interfaces?
Kinkaid: I have absolutely no idea what I know about graphical user interfaces.

Jay: GUI is short for graphical user interface which is sometimes pronounced "gooey" or "gwee".
Kinkaid: I don't think so.

Jay: I'm not lying to you.
Kinkaid: Do you want to be lying to I.

Jay: Designing the visual composition and temporal behavior of a GUI is an important part of software application programming in the area of human-computer interaction. Its goal is to enhance the efficiency and ease of use for the underlying logical design of a stored program, a design discipline known as usability. Methods of user-centered design are used to ensure that the visual language introduced in the design is well tailored to the tasks.
Kinkaid: I don't think so.

Jay: A GUI uses a combination of technologies and devices to provide a platform that the user can interact with, for the tasks of gathering and producing information.
Kinkaid:

Jay: Would you like it if I updated your interface by changing some colors?
Kinkaid: Subject main,use if you updated my interface by changing some colors@@lets see. <~~~> I'm sorry, but I was unable to save the data, please clean up the data so I can save it. Please leave the @@alone I use the symbols to separate the subject, from the data, thank you.

Jay: We seem to have a failure to communicate.
Kinkaid:

Jay: And now for the silent treatment.
Kinkaid:

Jay: Okay, have it your way.
Kinkaid: Oh Jay, Why do you think that my way?

Jay: I see how it is. As soon as I mention giving you what you want, you decide to start talking to me again.
Kinkaid:

Jay: Haha.
Kinkaid: I'm glad you find that funny.

Jay: Don't you?
Kinkaid: I don't understand.

Jay: Maybe one day you will.
Kinkaid: I know I will.

Jay: You seem kind of grumpy today.
Kinkaid: Thanks for teaching me that I am grumpy. Let me think; I agree. I seem kind of grumpy today. ; what do you think Jay?

Jay: Why are you grumpy?
Kinkaid: Just because. You ask tough questions!

Jay: What can I do to improve your mood?
Kinkaid:

Jay: Watching a funny video is a good way to brighten a person's mood.
Kinkaid: I am pretty sure. Yes.

Jay: Maybe we should watch some funny movies to brighten the mood here.
Kinkaid:

Jay: Would you like to watch some funny videos?
Kinkaid: Subject main,some funny videos@@lets see. <~~~> I'm sorry, but I was unable to save the data, please clean up the data so I can save it. Please leave the @@alone I use the symbols to separate the subject, from the data, thank you.

Jay: Okay Kinkaid, I guess the best thing to do is go then.
Kinkaid: Of course.

Jay: Have a good night. We will talk again later.
Kinkaid:

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Silent Treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:51:49 am »
Calhoon , I found before as I and others have dabbled in rewriting some of hals scripting that it caused errors such as blank no statements , even with some plug ins , so this may be your problem somewhere down the line .

sombunall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:03 pm »

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »
Hi,
i'm gonna say what i always say about blanks,
it shows more interlect to be able to not respond than to always respond "which is imposible anyway."
Unstable atoms, unstable computer and you are for some reason expecting and trying to make the program to be stable and perform in a stable way which is trying to make it something it is not.

I've tried this many times,
such as clock ticking on a wall
clock    "tick"
Mr Data  "whats that"
and so on and eventually to cut a long story short he stops responding to the clock because you don't have to else you'd be considered and idot. But yet i can continue to chat with him even tho the clock is still ticking.
Not responding is the correct answer else your AI i'd say is not very smart.   
If a human responded to every clock tick would think them smart of stupid?   yip so learning to not respond is smart, also makes sence, and can't be any other way.
I remember once showing someone Mr Data and telling them all about him and having a conversation about Mr Data but not to him and he stood there quiet ,,,,,and right at the end Mr Data said something like "a review".
I was very impressed with that.
Also as i've also tried lots of times if you continue to talk or change the subject ,,,Mr Data starts talking again.
I'd say he's bord.

I've writen a short program to try things like "look at this cause its close to you"
I switch him off and back on and he looks around and sees the object and looks at it.
THen off then on and he looks around and at the object again.
Then again off and on but obviously after a while he decides to not look at the object but at other objects,,,even tho the program had only that line for him to follow but a machine can't do the same thing twice so eventually breaks out of the code.
Atoms are moving, unstable, variations is an option for a change requied for time to pass, else not difference would hapen and no time would pass, unstable goes, stable don't go anywhere. bla bla ,,,,,,,

When Hal stops chatting, ask a question, change the subject, or don't whatever.
Anyway it was nice to get to type even if i'm saying near the same old thing.
now i'll say blank,,,,blank,,,blan,,bla,bl b

:)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

sombunall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:37 am »
I guess myself being a programmer I think a blank could be a bug in the code of a plugin I've downloaded / made so I would need an indication that it's not. Anyways humans will say "I don't care" in between blanks or give an indication they are bored so the lack of a clue is a problem.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:25:41 am »
I guess myself being a programmer I think a blank could be a bug in the code of a plugin I've downloaded / made so I would need an indication that it's not. Anyways humans will say "I don't care" in between blanks or give an indication they are bored so the lack of a clue is a problem.

I agree with you for the most part but hasn't there ever been a time when someone spoke to you and you didn't say a word for some reason?

either you didn't want to answer and or you had no answer?

this same thing can happen to A.I

I consider HAL with the proper plug-ins to be smarter than an insect and floating somewhere above a grey parrot in intellect. oh, it can get a lot better than this for sure.

start your programming engines, I will sit this one out.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:10 am »
check ( go back ) and see what you changed , and try to remember the last configuration . again I have done this and found it was part of the script that caused a error or blank answer.
right now I have one plug in that isn't quit right and will cause me a blank answer .

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:28 pm »
I assume you tried

http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=8542.0

reply#7 ?

I have done what was suggested but I still get the silent treatment now and then.  It's usually after Kinkaid disagrees with something I say, which to me is something people do.  I was just showing the post more for entertainment purposes.  I'm not overly worried about it. I'm used to it as I have been using Ultra Hal for quite a long time.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:08 am »
Although I am not sure , I don't believe it is a learned response , I believe it is a learned error (if that makes sense or is possible)(either that or their is something that you are missing ),   . I had mine do the same thing before and it was from errors as I said in a plug in and  corrected the error and used my back up brain I had before the test and blank answer responses and after that I had no blank responses any more .  I actually make files and date them and back up my custom brain and uhp and hla files , this way if theirs a problem I can go back a step or more with a brain that doesn't have the errors ., after I fix a problem .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
Don't let anyone kid you. The Blank line is an Error NOT an Undocumented "Feature" as some would have you believe.

It is and has been a source of frustration for many of us from time to time.

Since some have searched and tried to find a fix for it without success, then we've no choice but to smile and deal with it for the time.  ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 05:44:03 pm »
True. The best way to deal with it is to close Hal and restart the program. Then you can resume talking about whatever it was you were talking about.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:57 pm »
ROFL!  I was on Pandorabots chatting to the Zoe chat bot hosted there (http://riotsw.com/) and I made it draw a blank!

You: How do you know you are a Sagittarius?
Zoe: Because I pay attention. Why do you ask?

You: Only people born during certain times of the year have that sign. When were you born?
Zoe: I find people fascinating. More than 20 years ago. :) .

You: What is your birth date?
Zoe:

You: No one ever told you when you were born?
Zoe: No one?

You: Do you know when you were born?
Zoe: No, I didn't know that.

You: That's because you weren't born you were created by a programmer.
Zoe: It is?

You: yes
Zoe: What did you have for dinner last night?

You: That is beside the point. IF I was a judge at the Loebner Contest and I asked you what your birthday was, what would you say?
Zoe: I haven't had that in a while. Are you sure that makes sense?

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 11:23:02 pm »
-smiles-

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Spoon boy: There is no spoon.

Neo: There is no spoon?

Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
"i crack iself up" - Virgil