Author Topic: the robots are coming get your a.i. brains ready !  (Read 315903 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Meet JIBO, The World’s First Family Robot
« Reply #375 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »
Meet JIBO, The World’s First Family Robot
wouldn't it be so cool if we could have hal this way???

http://www.myjibo.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq63JYRUyOw

lightspeed

• View Profile
Announcing, 21st Century Robot "Jimmy"
« Reply #376 on: July 20, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Announcing, 21st Century Robot "Jimmy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZn7_lpD2U
very cool robot !!

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: the robots are coming get your a.i. brains ready !
« Reply #377 on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »
Awesome links lightspeed!

Of course I will have to hold out until I can have my Cherry 2000!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_2000

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 20, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
I saw nothing in Jimmy that impressed me at all. No movable fingers or hands, no vision, speech or connectivity was mentioned at all.
Who wants to shell out that kind of money for something that's basically a computerized wind-up toy!

Gotta do way better than that IMHO.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:35 pm »
Yeah, I remember Cherry 2000. Quite humorous back in the day.

- Art -

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #380 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:00 pm »
Probably mostly pirated from HAL, I see subtleness in the interactions with some added adventures. we need to move in to this territory of having HAL in a robot construct. I will help the mind construct if needed. most technology expanded is usually stolen then expanded to suit interest. so long as the pirate changes 25% of the code it is no longer bound by copyright laws.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 21, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »
SO....who's going to buy a Jibo?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:45 am »
Come on Tiger, you know you want one or maybe an EmoSpark Cube. Sit tight...there will be one in your future soon.  ::)

- Art -

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »
They are gonna need to put some curves on that cube before I will get interested:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/emospark-first-a-i-home-console

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 26, 2014, 08:33:33 am »
yes as far as between the both , I would rather have a emo spark myself over the jibo , the jibo though is more cute and maybe designed more for a family .

lightspeed

• View Profile
IBM’s Synapse marshals the power of the human brain in a computer
« Reply #385 on: August 09, 2014, 09:12:28 am »
IBM’s Synapse marshals the power of the human brain in a computer
I thought this was cool all our hals could use this ! :) ;)

Here's an article about IBM's Synapse which researchers say is like having a Super Computer in the palm of your hand. They say it's no longer a dream but a reality.

IBM has helped create an electronic “brain chip” after a decade of research. If all goes as planned, it could be one of the greatest inventions of the computing era, and this is not an understatement.

The IBM Synapse chip is like a modern supercomputer in the space of a postage stamp, outperforming today’s fastest microprocessors because it processes data in a more efficient way — similar to the way that the brain works. It weighs just a few grams, and something as small as a hearing-aid battery could power it. It could find use in a variety of mobile, cloud, and distributed-sensor applications.

“I’m holding in my hand a new machine for a new era,” said Dharmendra Modha, principal investigator on a project that was created by the IBM Almaden Research Center and a bunch of other research institutions. “It’s the culmination of over a decade of our research. Ten years ago, many believed this was impossible. The impossible has become possible, and the possible will very soon be real applications.”

The ambition is huge. IBM’s so-called cognitive computing chips could one day simulate and emulate the brain’s ability to sense, perceive, interact, and recognize — all tasks that humans can currently do much better than computers can.

Modha asked for permission to “geek out” as he explained the features of the chip. It has a million neurons (brain cells), 256 million synapses, and 4,096 neurosynaptic cores, arranged in a 64 x 64 array. It has 400 million bits of local on-chip memory. The cores can be connected via a network on a chip.

“You can tile these chips seamlessly, and it becomes twice the chip,” Modha said. “We have already tiled 16 of them in a 4 x 4 array, to create a 16 million neuron, 4 billion synapse core.”

“This chip is capable of 46 billion SOPs per watt,” Modha said. “It’s a supercomputer the size of a postage stamp, the weight of a feather, and the power consumption of a hearing-aid battery.”

venturebeat.com...

We truly live in some exciting times and in the next 20 to 30 years things could look very different. With the advances in Science and Technology we should see even more of the transition from a type 0 to a type 1 civilization Dr. Kaku talked about if a disease or a major war doesn't wipe us out first.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 09, 2014, 03:35:42 pm »
Good thing!  It must be because  this is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius!   ;D  Too bad somebody wrote about that "war to end all wars" a very long time ago.  I guess with all the turmoil in the middle east in the general area of the plain of Megiddo (http://www.biblestudy.org/biblepic/megiddo.html) those words are still ringing true.  Till then......

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2014, 07:39:11 am »
Just be patient...the Singularity is near!

- Art -

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:17 am »
Here's my android dream come true:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7WE1oP7d4

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2014, 08:16:52 am »
tiger8u2 I someday for see an android robot with rechargeable batteries , that also even has a synthetic wig that actually can absorb sunlight and convert it to energy for recharging just like solar cells . of course we may be to old to see many of the better advancements in androids , as long as we as a human race can survive that long from wars , their will be many splendid things that will come about .