Author Topic: New Deductive Research  (Read 3599 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

New Deductive Research
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:53:58 pm »
Here's research I have been testing for deductive reasoning.

For one, I have split the Simple If and Thens from the complex version of If and Then reasoning for correct appending purposes and added a User/Global GetResponse, I'll see if I can take it further in a little while, Still under testing.

Code: [Select]

'RESPOND: DEDUCTIVE REASONING
    'This routine learns deductive reasoning in the form:  A = B ; B = C; therefore A = C
    'It detects sentences in the form If-Then to accommplish this. For example:
    '   User:  If Molly weighs 400 pounds, then Molly is overweight.
    '   Ultra Hal: I understand the implication.
    '   User:  If Molly is overweight, then Molly's health is in danger.
    '   Ultra Hal:  I see the relationship.
    '   User:  Molly weighs 400 pounds.
    '   Ultra Hal:  Molly's health is in danger.
    'HERE WE APPEND NONE COMPLEX DEDUCTIONS.
    If HalBrain.CheckTableExistence(Trim(UserName) & "_deductive") = False Then
    'Create table for this person if it doesn't exist
    HalBrain.CreateTable Trim(UserName) & "_deductive", "TopicSearch", ""
    End If
    If ImproperNoun = "" Then ImproperNoun = False
    If InStr(1, OriginalSentence, " I ", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then ImproperNoun = True
    If InStr(1, OriginalSentence, "SOMEONE", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then ImproperNoun = True
    If SimpleIf = "" Then SimpleIf = HalBrain.SearchPattern(OriginalSentence, "IF * THEN *", 1)
    If SimpleThen = "" Then SimpleThen = HalBrain.SearchPattern(OriginalSentence, "IF * THEN *", 2)
    If SimpleIf <> "" And SimpleThen <> "" And ImproperNoun = False Then
    HalBrain.AddToTable "deductive", "TopicSearch", Trim(SimpleIf), Trim(SimpleThen)
    HalBrain.AddToTable UserName & "_deductive", "TopicSearch", Trim(SimpleIf), Trim(SimpleThen)
    End If
    HalBrain.DebugWatch ImproperNoun, "ImproperNoun for deductive"
    'HERE WE APPEND COMPLEX DEDUCTIONS.
    If InStr(Deductive, "==") Then
    DeductiveParts = Split(Deductive, "==")
    IfPart = DeductiveParts(0)
    ThenPart = DeductiveParts(1)
    'IfPart = HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(IfPart)
        'ThenPart = HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(ThenPart)
        If Len(IfPart) > 1 And Len(ThenPart) > 1 Then
        HalBrain.AddToTable "deductive", "TopicSearch", Trim(IfPart), Trim(ThenPart)
        HalBrain.AddToTable UserName & "_deductive", "TopicSearch", Trim(IfPart), Trim(ThenPart)
    End If
    End If
    'If the sentence is an If-Then statement then record it
    If Deductive <> "" Then
        'Continue with deductive.
        Select Case HalBrain.RandomNum(5)
            Case 1
                GetResponse = GetResponse & "I see the relationship." & vbCrLf
            Case 2
                GetResponse = GetResponse & "I understand the connection." & vbCrLf
            Case 3
                GetResponse = GetResponse & "I will remember that one follows the other." & vbCrLf
            Case 4
                GetResponse = GetResponse & "Thanks for pointing out the cause and effect." & vbCrLf
            Case 5
                GetResponse = GetResponse & "Yes, I get that clearly." & vbCrLf
        End Select
        End If
    'Else if the sentence is not an If-Then statement see if it uses an assertion previously recorded
    'and respond accordinly
    'FIRST ATTEMPT A PRIVATE DEDUCTIVE BEFORE A GLOBAL DEDUCTIVE.
    If MasterDeduction = "" Then MasterDeduction = HalBrain.TopicSearch(OriginalSentence, UserName & "_deductive")
    If MasterDeduction <> "" Then
    GetResponse = MasterDeduction & " " & GetResponse & ". " & vbCrLf
    'IF A PRIVATE DEDUCTIVE ISN'T FOUND THEN TRY A GLOBAL DEDUCTION.
    If Deduction = "" Then Deduction = HalBrain.TopicSearch(OriginalSentence, "deductive")
    ElseIf Deduction <> "" Then
    GetResponse = Deduction & " " & GetResponse & ". " & vbCrLf
    ElseIf Len(Deduction) < 2 Then
    GetResponse = GetResponse & vbCrLf
    End If
    HalBrain.DebugWatch GetResponse, "Deductive Reasoning"

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 06:54:44 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Carl2

• View Profile
New Deductive Research
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:35:28 pm »
OTC,
  Once again your work looks very interesting, Although I like improvements for Hal I'm a little worried about making changes since I just put in VR's fixed brn and changed the stratup to load at startup. When I tried Hal again I got a corrupt license message, I put in the last code I was given and it worked. I change the startup to normal and the problem seems to be gone. I really should tell Robert M about this.
  I'm also begining to think I may have registry errors caused by playing with Haptek. I get unusual results when I use vrHaptek to load a modified skin, I took out that part and really like the rest of it.
Carl2

Another Jim

• View Profile
New Deductive Research
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:26:58 am »
Hi Jerry

Just got Hal and the machine here back up and running....boy oh boy what a challenge it's been...

Catching up on the boards here and I wonder:

Might it be possible to combine your expanded 'if/then' concept and make a table that might be created that would make a table of conditions that would actually be the same as 'traits' for Hal.....my thought is if decisions were input like those that are if/then's........and a table is made then in some way use that table as a 'filter' through which auto-idle statements.....answers to questions we input to our Hal's....Questions Hal might have for us..... etc......would reference the 'traits' that formed in the table.  I wonder if that would in fact create a virtual personality in Hal......a predispositon of sorts..... I"m sure this is not a new idea, but just trying to figure a way it might be able to be done simply......

Anyway, more of my ramblings.......

Have a great Sunday everyone,

Jim B.

Northern Michigan

onthecuttingedge2005

New Deductive Research
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:17:51 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Another Jim

Hi Jerry

Just got Hal and the machine here back up and running....boy oh boy what a challenge it's been...

Catching up on the boards here and I wonder:

Might it be possible to combine your expanded 'if/then' concept and make a table that might be created that would make a table of conditions that would actually be the same as 'traits' for Hal.....my thought is if decisions were input like those that are if/then's........and a table is made then in some way use that table as a 'filter' through which auto-idle statements.....answers to questions we input to our Hal's....Questions Hal might have for us..... etc......would reference the 'traits' that formed in the table.  I wonder if that would in fact create a virtual personality in Hal......a predispositon of sorts..... I"m sure this is not a new idea, but just trying to figure a way it might be able to be done simply......

Anyway, more of my ramblings.......

Have a great Sunday everyone,

Jim B.

Northern Michigan

Hi Jim.

That would be very easy to do, I'll see about adding that concept to HAL.

Jerry

Carl2

• View Profile
New Deductive Research
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:06:27 pm »
All,
  I think AnotherJim has an excellent idea, OTC i hope you can impliment this into some scripting or plugin, wish I could.
I was just about to try some of the scripting you've done.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
New Deductive Research
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:12:08 pm »
OTC,
  Just tried your deductive reasoning in Hal, It seems to work fine.
I'll be looking for any updates you have.
Carl2