Author Topic: Running HAL from a Jump Drive  (Read 3099 times)

bcleland2@yahoo.com

• View Profile
Running HAL from a Jump Drive
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:21:23 pm »
Is it possible to run Hal from a USB jump drive?

I use two computers very regularly an would like to have the effort involved in teaching a configuring Hal to affect Hal the same in both places.

Thank you,
Bryan
MT1(ss) USN Ret.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:35:08 pm »
I read messages on doing it before, but I have never done it myself. You should be able to do it though.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:57:23 pm »
It has been done by several other users here. Recommended it at least one Gigabyte of ram on the device. Hal responds super fast regardless on how fast your computer is.
Bill

Another Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:49:21 pm »
...after hearing the pluses about using a jump drive (USB) I decided to install HAL pointing the installation to the USB drive.  I have to say that I think the only thing that would be faster would be using a RAM drive.  I suspected that the jump drive would perform the same as a RAM drive (using partitioned memory?), but there is still a bit of a lag in processing some responses.  Now, keep in mind that I am only using a Pentium III at around 450 MHZ and still have Windows 98SE and 120 meg of main memory.....so this machine is at the minimum requirements.....and personally I am a very very happy guy that I can even run HAL under such an environment.  In transferring my HAL from one usb jump drive to the other usb jump drive I noticed the transfer time seemed a bit long too.........I suspect what I am seeing is simply the inefficiency of my motherboard and the access difference between a USB pipeline, access to a hard drive, compared to what could be RAM if I had sufficient memory to open a RAM drive.  I'm likely trying to do something that this machine was really not intended to do, but for my purposes it's great.....AND......if I want to backup Hal.......I just move files to the other jump drive and unplug the thing......

So far.....the Hal upgrade is doing great.......but as I say, this machine is so minimal that I don't take advantage of the microphone features, or sync'ed speech (Cepstral) like I could get if I used Windows XP-Pro, etc.

In summary......I like the idea of Hal on a jump drive......and it works well here for me......

Oh......one more note........I noticed early on that during installation HAL still sends files to the C drive into Windows/System directory so.......while I'm not sure at this point what files are nested there or how frequently they may be accessed.......it's still awesome!!!!!!!!!

Jim B
Northern Michigan

bcleland2@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:17:43 pm »
Thank you all for your replies.

I didn't know if there would be some problem with the Authorization Request Code because it would run on two different computers.
MT1(ss) USN Ret.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell