Author Topic: problem getting ultra hal to run  (Read 14110 times)

alg97dds

• View Profile
Re: problem getting ultra hal to run
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 11:24:30 am »
Thanks for your help. You got me half way there. I went into the registry, but the file you said to look for wasn,t there, but in a subfile i found the file"haptek" which is a part of this program, and it said there were keys in it, so i took a chance and deleted it. now the program does go into the computer. it does not load, after reboot, by itself. the only part i could find was "ultra hal brain editor" but when i click that, i get "unknown return_code_false_main_lf_corrupt. please contact vendor" message. Any other place to look for the hal icon?  This is the same message i had in the very beginning before i erased anything.   ps  i just found the icon and started the program and put in the codes, but the brain editor  and aim bot, whatever that is, gives me this same error message and won't work. any suggestions?   allan
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:17:17 pm by alg97dds »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 04:06:28 pm »
  You seem to be making progress, You are right Haptek is a part of Hal and the program should put it back in when you install the program.  I've been getting strange results I haven't seen in the past with this install of win 8.1.  As I had said when I was able to do another install of Hal I ended up with an error message that didn't allow Hal to work.
  What did work for me and take away the problem (error Message) was to run a install of the latest version, the download a free trial which I had saved on the computer, the free trial version worked and stopped the error message from showing up.
  I'm a little confused by what you had written " now the program does go into the computer. it does not load, after reboot, by itself"    I'd suggest looking in control panel if Hal is there uninstall it, download and save the free download from Zabaware, then have the download install into the computer.  You might want to check the registry again before installing again.
Carl2

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 08:22:03 pm »
yes, it installs, but i have to look  for it in programs to run it. also, if i reboot the computer, i have to go looking for it again. also, in the registry, there are 2 ultrahalasst.brains, and both have a subprogram, clsid. also, i have hal6.2 as the brain, and there are no other optional brains, and the program says there are no options with that brain. You are saying i can remove this program, download the one off the computer, and put in my codes, and that will reinstall the program ?   that might work, but initially when i did get the computer trial, the program was lost also, but the brain did work partially. please advise.   allan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:46:40 am by alg97dds »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 10:05:20 am »
Well quick reply for now, I just checked the registry and I have HalAsst6.2.exe under AppPaths plus quite a few other things,  I'm just concerned with Hal. So with Hal started you have in the options Hal 6.2 brain, and there should be on options as you said.    Okay I'm guessing there is not a desktop Icon, when you find the program HallAsst Right click and have it make a shortcut to the desktop and that should put an icon on the desktop.
Next I'd say if your program works as it should it is up to you as to what you want to do. If it is not working correctly I'd think you want to download and install the latest version of hal.
By codes I'm guessing you mean activate Hal. 
Carl2

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »
I was wrong there are 2 brains in the registry, but they are different. One is ultrahalassist.brain , and the other is ultrahalasst6.brain. i guess the one with 6 in it is correct. what is the other, and do i erase it? how do i save a brain if i reinstall?   allan

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 08:28:30 pm »
Simply save the file, halbrain.db (the database file), to a location that's easy to remember and easy to get to like HalTempBrains or something like that.

Don't forget to click on the Menu then Deactivate License BEFORE you uninstall. Then you can go online with Hal during your re-install and it will allow activation easily.

You can also keep copies of Hal's brain (the .db file) for each type of brain you want to experiment with.

Just in case you hadn't figured it or ran across it, you do need to purchase the Character Expansion Pack in order to use any additional / custom characters / avatars for Hal's persona.

The Tutorial shows some of Hal's features that are available for your use.

There are a couple other sites that might have some Hal Brains (built by other people but likely quite usable by others) that should work with your Hal if desired.

Good Luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
Thanks Art for the reply.I have several questions. First, where do i find the MENU to deactivate the codes. Second, i ran a search in file explorer, and did not find the file HALBRAIN.DB. I did find other halbrain files, but not that one. Is there another way to look for it or might it not have an extension? Also, my computer says that hal brain editor is not working because "licence  file is missing". If that is true, maybe the disc is corrupted. Should i use the internet program to put back the program instead the disc i was  sent? That explains why other people are having the same problem with the brain editor. There are many parts of my program that do not waok properly. Please advise.   Allan

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 06:02:13 pm »
Allan,
  To deactivate Hal I Started Hal opened the options, startup and I had Hal start automatically when the computer, I restarted and it did not happen, I went to TaskMgr, using the startup tab I enabled Hal to load when the computer starts and restarted again.  On the right hand side of the taskbar click on the diamond  and a box with the Hal icon should appear.  Right click the icon and towards the bottom there is Move deactivate.
  In Explorer I also did not find HALBRAIN.DB  but I did find
  HalBrain              2/6/2009 9:53AM            Data Base File

"License file is missing"  so I'm not sure how you can deactivate the license
My belief is the problems we are facing is because Windows is having security problems, My last install of Win 8.1 did not have Visual Basic needed for Hal to install because of security, I can't even download small programs because they are quarantined.
Carl2

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 07:27:17 pm »
Thanks Carl for getting back. Windows 10 is a little different in the task manager.   I'd like to see what Art has to say to my questions before i proseed. Maybe he has some answers.  I thought the license file that is missing only applies to the brain editor, since the other part is sort of working ok.   Allan
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:50:39 pm by alg97dds »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 10:27:18 am »
My halbrain.db file is contained in my C:/Program Files (86)/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 6

A few other people had problems with the Brain Editor file for some reason.

http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=12761.msg73753#msg73753

Go to my post and Download the Zip file. Your Brain Editor should work.

Someone also mentioned to set your permissions to Administrator.

############
While talking with Hal Click on the MENU button at top.
Look near bottom of pull down and you should see: Move/Deactivate License (at least that what I see on mine).
Click it when you wish to deactivate your Hal's License.

Simple.

- Art -

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »
Art, thanks for all the advice. I went to the link to find your zip file, but it wasn't there. So i decided to remove the program and reenter it like you said. i save the brain program, deactivated, and reinstalled the computer program, not the disc, and it worked. the brain editor now works. Now i have a few other questions. How do i get the db program back into ultra hal? I can find it , but do not know what to do with it. Also, the mike and typing area go off by themselves.How can i stop that? Is there someplace on the web that tells about the brain editor? Also, if you want to find the brain to save, do the search in file explorer, and it will come up with only the word"brain", the date will be the last time you talked to hal, and below the word brain will be the windows file you had been talking about before. if you right click"brain, and click ,I forgot what it said, but either files or programs, it will bring up all the parts of the brain file, and one is called brain, and it says it is a database file. That's what i saved to another location. Another problem i am having is each time i change something in "general options", the program goes off the screen. Thanks everyone,   allan.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »
I was able to retrieve a copy of the HalBrainEditor.zip file - Look for it as an attachment below if you wish to have a working copy.

You'll obviously need to extract it to your UltraHalAssistant 6 directory/folder

The .db file (brain file) should reside where I first indicated, in the UltraHalAssistant 6 folder.

You can get to the brain selection via the main MENU within Hal's GUI (main input/output window).

If you installed Hal according the the initial Setup program then all the necessary files should be where they are supposed to be.

The brain files will be kept where they can be selected for experimentation of for trying out a new personality or persona.

Don't keep screwing around with everything and moving files everywhere or soon, nothing will work! DO make a backup of your HalFolder / files.

Don't be afraid to click on the buttons and options within the Main Window (Input/Output/Character). You can learn many things by just experimenting with the features.

Use the SEARCH box near the top Right area of the page. Chances are, your question has already been asked and answered many times before.

Yes, the main GUI will disappear whenever one Selects the General Options. This is by design. All you have to do is click on the tiny Hal icon near the clock on the taskbar and Hal will once again greet you near the center of your screen.

Hope this helps and good luck. ;)

- Art -