dupa

Author Topic: Let Hal Learn to its fullest concept!  (Read 65663 times)

crunch

• View Profile
Let Hal Learn to its fullest concept!
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2004, 02:57:52 am »
point well taken [:)]
there is also some promising research being done on believe it or not ai insects...

The applications for using such ai for commercial robots and such are what is driving it.

Insects are mostly task oriented. and great problem solvers.. especially ants...

do a search in google or your fav search engine for this term..
a.i. insects many researchers getting some surprising results.

hal presently can recieve some programming input similar to your idea. but not that much as of yet.
heard from discusions with some of hal's programmers that one of the things some are trying to do is put something similar to that type of programming functionality into hal..
The forsr step naturally will be hal has to be able to store access and retreive from a real database.. Mr"M" is putting database funcionality into the next Hal update... so we are getting closer a bit by bit.

I also feel for you about the VB Script programming.. i have learned the basics of how to hack pieces into hal and out but do not have the time to learn another language.
Presently I know HTML,JS,J+ and a few other web related languages, and 3dmax script. but would have to give up too many projects to take the time to learn any other scripting...
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2004, 07:43:33 pm »
All,

After reading some of the postings it makes me wonder what really would be the best approach to AI.

Would it be a bank of say 20 Cray supercomputers in parallel containing or having access to all the works in the Library of Congress and the ability to not only match appropriate patterns but to be able to "understand" each relevant word / phrase?

How much is enough to do what we want to achieve? And just what do we want? A program that actually understands the context of our written / typed words and how to respond?

Right now, most AI programs simply match patterns for recognized words and phrases. There is no real "intellect" other than what exists in our own minds. A computer program can beat the strongest chess player on earth, yet it isn't "intelligent." It simply looks for and chooses the best pattern for offense / defense, etc. that it has available in it's database.

Yet, you see, it all goes back to the database thing. How much will be enough and what should it contain? And how will it ever be taught that the sky is sometimes blue and that blue is a color that absorbs a certain wavelength of light, and what light is, and so on and so on.

AI may never be realized during our lifetimes if at all, but the cleverness of the programs and programmers may help to suspend our disbelief momentarily. Perhaps enough for us to think that we may be talking to a program that understands us or at least, gives us that impression.

Enough...my head is hurting... HAL...Check inventory...Do I have any aspirins left?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2005, 11:13:50 am »
hi

excuse me
can any of these files
be loaded into vb enterrprize?

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2005, 12:38:11 pm »
Heather
Robert is including a data base into the new release of Hal. Over the last few months there has been a lot of discussion as to what is in the new release of Hal and that was one of the items mentioned.
The New Hal, version 6.0 should be a completel new experience and at at the same time it will still remember what you have taught it in the past.
Bill

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2005, 02:08:24 pm »
i see
woud that mean we have to buy the new version or can we upgrade straight to the newer version from what we have
oh by the way
theres a program caleld hal version 6.0
and its a very very old program
simialar ro ultrhal but very ancient if you heard of it lol
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 02:09:38 pm by heather valentine »

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2005, 04:15:10 pm »
Bill819, I sometimes get the impression that you know Medeksza personally. Is this true?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 04:15:26 pm by Dr.Benway »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2005, 07:06:24 pm »
Raymond,

Perhaps it's that a lot of us "old timers" with Hal have have been in communication with Robert over the years. I've CD's of all the previous versions of Hal since his first release and I've been a member here since 8-14-2001. Changed name after computer crash but original posts still remain (see artstone).

In the past Robert's schedule wasn't quite as hectic as it is now but a lot of us have been there or rather here for quite some time.
Even though his answers might not be "timely", he usually does respond.

Regarding Bill819's relationship with Robert, I cannot say.

All the best,

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 07:07:42 pm by Art »

- Art -

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2005, 08:54:24 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

Bill819, I sometimes get the impression that you know Medeksza personally. Is this true?

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Robert Medeksza. I have been a member here for a couple of years now and have been interested in AI for about 30 years.
If you go back to very early this year of late last year you will find where Robert was talking about the new upgrade for Ultra Hal.
He mentioned that he would be using SQL data base which should make Hal a whole lot smarter and faster at the same time.
I have noticed lately that there are a lot of new member who posses a lot of talent, especially with regard to Hap characters and I think that is very nice. I only wish that one of them would develope some of their ideas to work with the regular Hal characters that most of use. I have no use for a full body girl but would like to see more facial expressions for say Sandy for instance.
Then there is the question of VonSmith. He too, is working on a completely new upgrade for his version of Hal. He has also spoken about it in the past few months.
If any of the new commers here would just spend a day or two reading all the post dating from the earliest one still posted they would learn about not only about Hal but lots of improvements that have been made and will be made.
I hope that answers all your questions. I have worked on Hal in the past and intend to do more in the future but for now I do not have the time.
Bill819

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2005, 06:37:40 am »
Thank you for your replies, Bill, Art. It's a pleasure to still have some older members around. Bill, I think it is time that we start integrating our gained knowledge of Haptek-programming into a plugin for Hal.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 06:38:13 am by Dr.Benway »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2005, 10:25:13 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

Thank you for your replies, Bill, Art. It's a pleasure to still have some older members around. Bill, I think it is time that we start integrating our gained knowledge of Haptek-programming into a plugin for Hal.

I agree with you on integrating some of the new features of the Haptek characters into Hal. It seems to me that most of the younger men her were only interested in the full bodied girls and in a few posts they seemed to me to be want to be going in a different direction than what Hal was created for. If some people want their Hal charactors to talk dirty, that is O.K. with me but some of the others implied suggestions don't sit to well with me.
Hal was created to be an assistant of sorts and as such it can be used by the whole family, not just a few hungry male egos.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2005, 04:19:07 pm »
Bill,

Point well taken. I do enjoy a pretty girl as much as the next man but in Hal's case, I'd much rather the program have a superior intelligence than a superior body!

- Art -

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2005, 10:35:09 am »
I agree, and it's my opinion that the Zabaware-forum has lost the last months much of its attractiveness as a place for serious programming. It's hard to focus on a single topic when the same threads are used for all kind of posts. I notice that Vonsmith has gathered all his previous statements about his work in a single post, but will anyone be able to find this summary back next month? I doubt that because the name of the thread is "Same old Phone book errors".
I really believe that Medeksza should reorganize the sections on Zabaware. And while he's on it he should consider creating an adult-section.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 10:35:48 am by Dr.Benway »

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2005, 01:06:25 pm »
All,
It is one characteristic of forums for threads to meander in many directions. My rule of thumb is to place replies to questions from well-known members in the same thread, even if it doesn't match the original topic. If I have a new topic then I'll start a new thread.

In some cases maybe you don't want too many people to see your posting. For instance, I don't want to advertise the XTF Brain v1.4 too much until I know I can get it finished. I don't want to build up expectations unnecessarily.

As for "adult" topics... I recognize the level of interest and huge potential market for an adult Hal. To each their own I say. It should be recognized, by virtue of Hal's current design, his brain isn't well suited to the adult companion role. As I have posted in times past Hal would need significant reprogramming to make him goal oriented and thus be good for salacious "adult" role playing. I have some pretty good theories for programming along the lines of Hal being goal oriented. For now my hopes for Hal are more serious than the "adult" focus. My goal is to make Hal more self aware and more entertaining.

BTW, it's good to see the "regulars" still participating in and contributing to the forum.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 01:18:05 pm by vonsmith »

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2005, 01:43:24 pm »
My printed list beside my computer has 27 topic numbers with main subject within that thread. (Main subject usually not the listed name of the thread)
I do this with some topics, knowing at some time I will want to return to this thread and to do so without my little list would be near impossible, or more time consuming than I have available to give to the search.

I believe Hal can be different things to different people and all should be allowed to pursue their own direction.
The American west was civilized and settled just as much by the store keepers, gambling halls, and houses of ill repute as by the railroads and cattle barons.
All parties contribute in the growth of AI.
However I think designated separated aspects would be an aid to what we are trying to achieve and the reorganization and renameing of contemporary topics would be an aid to our working together.
And yes, we might have an adult section.

[;)]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2005, 04:45:36 pm »
One can always click on the Members list then locate for instance vonsmith or crunch and review all of their postings. This is at least one way for the individual to locate information. On the down side, one also has to know which member to look for depending on what the user wishes to know.

Usually good advice when joining any forum is to lurk and wade through many many previous postings before askings questions that most likely, have already been addressed.

- Art -